Foundation Studies Question (order of books) - Mothering Forums
Waldorf > Foundation Studies Question (order of books)
WednesdayO's Avatar WednesdayO 02:39 PM 02-01-2011

I've seen so many different sites and Steiner books...

Could someone give me some resources about which books usually start out Foundation Studies? Is there one that should be read first as an introductory, especially one relating to early childhood?

himmelreiter's Avatar himmelreiter 04:45 PM 02-02-2011

Depends on what you want - our local school's Foundation Studies on Anthroposophy class (which spans two years) starts with "How to know Higher Worlds" - they move on to other books but I'm not sure what they are. But again, that course is anthroposophy related (most people I've seen who take it are either very interested/involved parents or people going into Waldorf teacher training - I'd probably take it if I had the time and money).

If you're just interested in a general early childhood reading, the most accessible ones are R. Baldwin's "You are your Child's first teacher" and "Beyond the Rainbow Bridge" (can't remember the author of this one). The problem with Steiner's books is that many of them are compilations of lectures/talks and it can be daunting to make a coherent sense of them some times.

WednesdayO's Avatar WednesdayO 05:49 PM 02-02-2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by himmelreiter View Post

Depends on what you want - our local school's Foundation Studies on Anthroposophy class (which spans two years) starts with "How to know Higher Worlds" - they move on to other books but I'm not sure what they are. But again, that course is anthroposophy related (most people I've seen who take it are either very interested/involved parents or people going into Waldorf teacher training - I'd probably take it if I had the time and money).

If you're just interested in a general early childhood reading, the most accessible ones are R. Baldwin's "You are your Child's first teacher" and "Beyond the Rainbow Bridge" (can't remember the author of this one). The problem with Steiner's books is that many of them are compilations of lectures/talks and it can be daunting to make a coherent sense of them some times.

I have all of those types of early childhood books. I just don't know which Steiner ones to start with. I was leaning towards "How to Know Higher Worlds" actually. In a perfect world (haha) I would go on to early childhood and/or handwork training, but right now I'm just a Waldorf parent. THANKS!

himmelreiter's Avatar himmelreiter 06:02 PM 02-02-2011

Forgot to mention - my DD's first grade teacher recommended to me "Kingdom of Childhood" and "Practical Advise to Teachers" as the most accessible education-related Steiner books -  these are geared towards the grades but you can probably still get lots of his thinking and approaches from there, and they're available from download free somewhere on the web

Demeter_shima's Avatar Demeter_shima 12:40 PM 02-14-2011

(this is ripped from the Antioch University Foundations prerequisite page:)

• Rudolf Steiner, How to Know Higher Worlds
  • Rudolf Steiner, Anthroposophy in Everyday Life
  • Rudolf Steiner, Theosophy
  • Torin Finser, Organizational Integrity
  • Torin Finser, School as a Journey

mamavegan's Avatar mamavegan 05:32 PM 02-14-2011

Another vote for "How to Know Higher Worlds".  That's what I've started with.  :)

mamavegan's Avatar mamavegan 05:33 PM 02-14-2011

Thanks for that list, Demeter_shima!

WednesdayO's Avatar WednesdayO 11:10 AM 02-15-2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demeter_shima View Post

(this is ripped from the Antioch University Foundations prerequisite page:)

Thank you so much for that list! I thought I had seen it somewhere on one of the Foundation Studies sites and could never find it again.

Up