Looking for simple, inexpensive Waldorf craft ideas to sell at farmer's market - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Doing a children's table at our local farmer's market that will include 3 levels of goods.

1.) A weekly craft activity costing $1 or $2 that children can take home.

2.) A table of little treasures that children can buy for $1

3.) More expensive items for children such as aromatherapy, plant dyed playdough. I could use more ides for this price point....

Oh, also going to do doll blankets ...

4.) Children's clothing such as skirts, wool felted pants, flannel overalls, knit hats etc

For the lower $1 or $2 ideas (some treasures and some crafts) here's what I have so far:

walnut babies

walnut shell boats

wood paint your own magnets

wool felted balls (tho I'm thinking keeping soapy water warm and the volume needed for balls would make this a more expensive project)

paint your own wood spring/easter eggs

sea shell necklaces

pet rocks or pretty painted rocks

planting seeds in a little pot and/or painting the pot

gluing on little felt shapes to a simple felt crown (not wool due to cost tho)

"fairy" lights - ie candles in sea shells, walnuts, milk weed pods etc

little wood peg fairies, gnomes, dolls

natural mobiles made from branches and found objects such as pinecones, acorns, pretty leaves or evergreens etc

I'm sure there are a few things I'm missing on my list ....

Any more ideas for any of the price points would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks!

copperfox likes this.
#2 of 5 Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 PM

I can't think of anything to add, but that sounds awesome! If you let us know where you'll be, I'm sure you'd get a lot of traffic :)

#3 of 5 Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM

felted stones or wall hangings would be easy for kids to make and take home. wall hangings cn be done with cookie sheet and potatoe mashers, soap and warm/hot water.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#4 of 5 Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 PM

When we went to a winter festival at our local Waldorf school, there were several $1 & $2 activities.  They included making a paper name banner, making a little doll out of a 6"x6" dyed playsilk with a small ball of wool roving tied in the middle for a head and arms and legs separated by string, dipping a suet covered pinecone in birdseed.

If you can find inexpensive wood rings wind wands are always a hit too.   Here is a post I did on them: http://howthesunrose-lalagirl.blogspot.com/2010/07/dancing-with-wind-wands.html 

Sounds like you will have fun :)

#5 of 5 Old 02-03-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

July09Mama - opposite side of the country from you, I'm afraid. I lived in Pdx for 5 years though. Great area!!!

The more I think about it, I am thinking that the wool felt is just not going to be a go. I don't think there's a way to keep the water warm or to refresh it outside, and there could conceivably be large numbers of children.

I love the wind wand idea!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page