Playstands - which one?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-05-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lol, another question!  (Can you tell I'm budgeting our tax return?  Sheepish.gif)  I'd really like to get DD a playstand - which one is your favorite and why?  DD is currently just under 19 months, 22.5 lbs, and 32" tall if that makes a difference.  She is also a climber when presented with the opportunity so I'm a little worried there.  Any insight on how to keep her from climbing the playstands?

#2 of 6 Old 02-05-2011, 01:43 PM

I'm looking at the Little Colorado one (also using our refund).  Magic Cabin sells it, but Google shopping has better prices elsewhere.  I'm planning to dye my own silk for the top using a silk veil from Dharma Trading for about half the cost.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#3 of 6 Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM

I recommend getting some that are made from a hard wood, not pine. While I love ours and the kids get lots of use, the pine wood is so soft and is really beat up after only 1.5. Our  pine wood kitchen is also really beat up. If I was buying again I would definitely go with hard wood. I believe Palumba's are hard wood.

Mama to Kage (12/07) and Ember (6/09)
#4 of 6 Old 02-06-2011, 03:18 AM

I wondered about that.  Seems that for the price, they could be made of birch plywood like the Learning Tower is.  That thing can really take a beating.  I'll check out Palumba's.  Sorry to hijack, but I'm shopping, too. Sheepish.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Slowly View Post

I recommend getting some that are made from a hard wood, not pine. While I love ours and the kids get lots of use, the pine wood is so soft and is really beat up after only 1.5. Our  pine wood kitchen is also really beat up. If I was buying again I would definitely go with hard wood. I believe Palumba's are hard wood.

#5 of 6 Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 AM

Okay, I've done a cost comparison of Little Colorado pine play stands from Magic Cabin/Hearthsong versus the ash ones sold at Palumba.  There's $16 difference AND you get four play clips from Palumba.  Shipping would be $30 from Magic Cabin, putting the order at $309 versus $325 at Palumba (which offers free shipping).  I feel I'm going to go with Palumba, since I had concerns over using clothespins on the play stand (whether they would fit and so forth).  Additionally, the Palumba one has movable shelves and can be turned into bookshelves easily later on.  I like toys that can evolve with my child. thumb.gif

#6 of 6 Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Oh I REALLY like those!  Budget is not that big though.  irked.gif  We're getting the pine ones from Bella Luna Toys (no canopy).  Later on when the money is better and we have more kids then we'll replace the stands with nicer ones like those.  I'll either sell the pine ones or use them over her bed or in the living room or something.  Thanks for the input ladies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page