Is age 7 "too late" to start Waldorf? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My older dd is about to turn 7. She went to public school for Kindergarten and half of first grade before we decided that homeschooling was the way to go. We have been doing a sort of eclectic curriculum thus far, but I am very interested in a Waldorf-inspired way. Is it too late for us to start? What would be a good place to start as far as curriculum, etc goes? Thanks!

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#2 of 5 Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gosh, I hope not. DS just started at a Waldorf school back in November, when he was 7, almost 8! smile.gif He'd been in public school kindy, 1st grade, and was in 2nd grade when we moved him. We were never super-Waldorf, though had a bias for low media (we do have a TV, though), wooden/natural materials toys (except Legos!), open-ended play, lots of nature, etc. He's taken to it like a duck to water and is really really blossoming in his new environment! joy.gif It helps, of course, that he's really artsy and loves working with his hands.

At any rate, I know your question concerns homeschooling and that our experience won't necessarily say as much as you'd like about your DC's. Hopefully, Waldorf homeschooling parents will chime in. But I did just want to let you know that I don't think there's really an age cut off or anything and that children aren't "ruined" by not having done Waldorf all along (realize this isn't exactly what you were saying . .. ). I think the Waldorf approach can be immensely valuable for all children, no matter when they come into it.
#3 of 5 Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Nope, not too late!  I started my 8-yr-old (homeschooling) this year after three years in the public school system.   The biggest challenge for me has been trying to integrate the differing academic levels between Waldorf and his traditional public school experience.  He's lightyears "ahead" of where he should be for his grade in Waldorf in reading, and "behind" in parts of math.   But we've had a successful experience so far, and he really seems to enjoy all the Waldorf-y stuff we do. 

#4 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 PM

I hope not!

We will be starting my now 3 year old in Waldorf the year he turns 7. We will not send him to any kind of pre-k program before that. 

#5 of 5 Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Yes, I was actually mostly concerned with the fact that she's already spent so much time in traditional school, etc. I will start to make small changes and let her adapt to the new lifestyle change gradually :)

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page