What are your favourite illustrated fairy tale books? - Mothering Forums
Waldorf > What are your favourite illustrated fairy tale books?
mamaUK's Avatar mamaUK 06:07 AM 03-03-2011

Hello!

I would like to make a fairy tales basket for my girls. I am looking to buy individual books of each fairy tale. I find their little hands prefer to pick up/leaf through single books rather then one volume book of fairy tales.

Please can you help me?

Could you link to your favourite edition of a certain fairy tale?

I would like to get a beautiful copy of Goldilocks And The Three Bears for my little girls third birthday at the end of march. And a copy of The Magic Porridge Pot for example.

My almost six year old would like a beautiful edition of Little Red Riding Hood....

I would love to build an collection of them this year before they get too old for fairy tales!

I would love the story to be well written and really beautiful illustrations!

Thank you,

Rosaleen xxx

ourdayourjourney's Avatar ourdayourjourney 12:09 PM 03-08-2011
rubyhatespets's Avatar rubyhatespets 10:18 AM 03-09-2011

I know this isn't really what you're looking for, as it's a collection of stories, but I noticed you were in the UK and wanted to recommend this version of Grimm's Fairy Tales.  The illustrations are beautiful and by Mabel Lucy Attwell;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0330245325/ref=oss_product

ourdayourjourney's Avatar ourdayourjourney 11:33 AM 03-10-2011

also, my children enjoy the pancake that ran away. as, i am in the process of putting away our winter books, i noticed that we have another book by the same author/illustrator, loek koopmans. he also has a cinderella book

http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/122724.Loek_Koopmans

we look forward to seeing what you have decided on :)

Chamomile Girl's Avatar Chamomile Girl 11:51 AM 03-10-2011
I love stuff illustrated by Fred Marcillino. The two I have are Puss in Boots and The Pelican Chorus (which has a great rendition of the Owl and the Pussycat).

This version of Red Riding Hood is beautiful (and the illustrations are pretty cool) but the ending is a bit intense. Might want to read the comments to see what I mean.

Dover recently published a facsimile of The Knave of Hearts...all the illustrations are by Maxfield Parish. So. Freaking. Cool!
mamaUK's Avatar mamaUK 05:11 AM 03-11-2011
mamaUK's Avatar mamaUK 05:18 AM 03-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

I love stuff illustrated by Fred Marcillino. The two I have are Puss in Boots and The Pelican Chorus (which has a great rendition of the Owl and the Pussycat).

This version of Red Riding Hood is beautiful (and the illustrations are pretty cool) but the ending is a bit intense. Might want to read the comments to see what I mean.

Dover recently published a facsimile of The Knave of Hearts...all the illustrations are by Maxfield Parish. So. Freaking. Cool!

I shall check out the links, thank your very much! I actually ordered the Little Red Riding Hood you talk about here a few days ago, it has come through, is amazingly beautiful and i am Ok about the ending, but it is pretty intense LOL

mamaUK's Avatar mamaUK 05:21 AM 03-11-2011

After lots of research I have started the basket! Over the weekend I am going to post the ones I have found and had shipped to me...I thought it might be useful for anyone else making a fairytale book basket...

mamaUK's Avatar mamaUK 05:38 AM 03-11-2011

Golilocks and The Three Bears- Retold and illustrated by Jan Brett:

http://www.amazon.com/Goldilocks-Three-Bears-Jan-Brett/dp/0698113586

Just received this book now in paperback format. The illustrations are just gorgeous and very detailed. The bears are drawn quite realistically. I know the children are going to really like this book. I love the way Jan Brett had drawn bears on all the porridge pots and the furniture in the bears house have bears carved into the wood! So sweet!

It is a classic retelling of the story, just lovely!

ollyoxenfree's Avatar ollyoxenfree 08:01 AM 03-11-2011

Two gorgeous picture books with wonderful stories: 

Dove Isabeau by Jane Yolen and Dennis Nolan

Tam Lin: An Old Ballad by Jane Yolen and Charles Mikolaycak

Up