Is there any Waldorf families-friendly sunny city/place/community anywhere in the US? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post here, so bear with me: I have always wanted to have my kids (DD, 8 and DS 5) enrolled in a Waldorf school but can't afford that. Plus, there is not any close to where we live.  Homeschooling have been an intimidating idea until recently, so kids are attending public schools so far (DD 2nd grade with very advanced reading and writing but very interested in science, arts and nature interests. DS progressing fast with math, reading and writing but very physical and movement oriented). 

DS strongly dislikes school and have asked me repeadly to teach him at home. DD loves school and does not want to be homeschooled (she is afraid she may loose her school friends).  I am afraid I am loosing her in the process to themainstream system and her public school friends...I want her back!.  She have agreed to give homeschool a try if we have to move. We will homeschool unless we can afford a great Waldorf school.

Recently, my husband told me we can move anywhere! He is looking for a new job and is willing to focus on the area that we would prefer to live.  I would love to move to a great-weather place with like-minded people and lots of Waldorf families, organic living, an experience I have been longing for.  I don't even know if such a place exist, does it?.

Also, what would be the best curricula for my so different kids? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

#2 of 5 Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 AM

Hmmm...North of San Francisco comes to mind. They have several Charter Waldorf schools as well. They are technically free though I believe sometimes ask for donations from families to help support the school where the state doesn't.

#3 of 5 Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 PM

This might just be the *perfect* place for you! How does a free Waldorf school sound? My friends from AZ say this place is amazing!

http://arizonawaldorf.org/DMS/

It's a Waldorf charter school. Apparently there is about a 1- 2 yr waiting list to get in. But it's free; and it goes through high school now; and it's sunny and a very eco living sort of place. My friends are done with his PhD in NY and moving back to that area this spring.

#4 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 06:23 AM

i was just looking at AZ!

We live in sonoma county its very waldorf friendly but also very expensive. I've been looking at moving somewhere cheaper to live, where we can maybe actually afford to live on 1 income... and the first thing i always look for is a local waldorf school

We've considered austin a lot... cheaper in the out skirts than ca and has a good waldorf community i think... at least waldorfmama's blog makes it seem t hat way :)

#5 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 PM

I am in Phoenix :) Desert Marigold is amazing! Only some grades have wait lists and sometimes spots open fairly quickly.

It is also very sunny here :) And how housing prices are awesome right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post

This might just be the *perfect* place for you! How does a free Waldorf school sound? My friends from AZ say this place is amazing!

http://arizonawaldorf.org/DMS/

It's a Waldorf charter school. Apparently there is about a 1- 2 yr waiting list to get in. But it's free; and it goes through high school now; and it's sunny and a very eco living sort of place. My friends are done with his PhD in NY and moving back to that area this spring.

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page