Lesson planning in Lent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am (at the last minute!) trying to tweak our lessons a bit to accommodate a little more Lent into our rhythm. We have strong family traditions surrounding the more highlighted days like Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday, and then for Holy Week. And we celebrate Mothering Sunday on Lent 4. I sort of feel that Lent kind of goes a bit overlooked besides this. Maybe that is because my children are little and Lent can be so very dark? What I think I would like is to find a way to balance our Spring-themed learning which we are just getting in to with some kind of daily Lenten practice.

I love the weekly themes for the four weeks of Advent (mineral kingdom, plant kingdom, animal kingdom, human/spiritual kingdom). I have poked around online for something similar with the six weeks of Lent. Couldn't find anything. Does anyone have ideas for this?

Just in case anyone else is looking for Lenten lesson ideas, here is our current list of possible activities:
>'Lent' the house. Make the decor sparse (including our Nature Table....we actually do two, a very child-friendly nature-based one that is within the kids' reach and a more decorative one that usually follows a Christian/spiritual rhythm). We're doing that today as part of our Ash Wednesday activities.
> Make a Jesus Tree, like the Jesse Tree we made during Advent.
> Make a Lenten calendar, counting down to Easter. Maybe including daily devotions? Maybe ticking off each day that we all live up to our Lenten disciplines? Or tick off each morning to remind us of our disciplines?
> Make a clay Prayer Pot for the table instead of flowers or candles for Lent.
> Make tissue paper Rose Windows.
> Make a paper cross and affix paper flowers for each good deed during Lent....should be pretty by Easter!
> Use our Resurrection Eggs before Holy Week.....it was just too much to take in all in one week last year. I think the lessons just never got internalized.
> Cooking! Hot cross buns, pretzels, fish on Fridays, Simnal cake on Mothering Sunday, veggie stews and soups on other fasting days.

Sorry I didn't link all of those....there are lots of great places to find those activities online.

I guess I am looking for a way to connect more Waldorf with this particular season. At the moment it feels like we are doing Waldorf springy stuff with songs and verses, and then our spiritual rhythm is completely separate from that. It's not feeling quite right somehow....the rest of the year marries the two so beautifully. Any thoughts on this?

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page