tinker toys or something similar? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I recently got it into my head that DS would enjoy some sort of construction toy...like tinker toys.  But when I started looking into the classic tinker toys, the reviews are saying how poor the quality is these days.  I did end up getting a small set of Lincoln Logs, but the set is for one specific thing with hardly enough logs to do anything else.  (He's been just using the pieces to build fences now so at least they're still getting used.)  Might be better off to order a big box of them from ebay!  My mom has a huge bin like that for the grandkids at her house and even the 14 yr old still plays with them! 

Does anyone have a nice, sturdy construction/building type toy to suggest?   It's not urgent, but he's just at a perfect age right now!  He does play with legos at preschool, but we've managed to avoid them at home so far.  He's got a few blocks and a rainbow stacker...they generally make fences and barns.  (DS is totally horse obsessed.) 

Ideally, I'm thinking of something we can start fairly small and add to if it's something he likes.  I'm not 100% anti-plastic, but I would prefer something wooden.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have a small set of Tinker Toys and they are holding up just fine. We also gave a friend a large set, and he's a pretty rough boy but hasn't had any problems. We have the sets in which the main pieces are wood and not plastic, so that might be part of it. They are also the actual Tinker Toys brand.

You mentioned linking logs, and there are other wooden puzzle stackers and blocks (castle pieces, tree blocks). Everything else I'm thinking of is either mostly plastic or magnetic.

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

Old 03-15-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WednesdayO View Post

We have a small set of Tinker Toys and they are holding up just fine. We also gave a friend a large set, and he's a pretty rough boy but hasn't had any problems. We have the sets in which the main pieces are wood and not plastic, so that might be part of it. They are also the actual Tinker Toys brand.

You mentioned linking logs, and there are other wooden puzzle stackers and blocks (castle pieces, tree blocks). Everything else I'm thinking of is either mostly plastic or magnetic.

I'm glad to hear they're holding up!  I was all excited to share them with DS, and when I started looking online, the classic sets (wooden ones) had several reviews saying that they broke a lot.  Yay!  I loved tinker toys...I'm excited to share them with him!  He's getting very good at building things and I'm sure would come up with some interesting projects! 

Old 03-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Roy Toy makes a product like Lincoln Logs. Made in the USA and has a good reputation.

Kapla blocks? They recently started re-importing to the US. Keva is a US-made version

I loved Tinker Toys as a kid. Like you, they were a "grandma toy."  But I've also read terrible reviews. Fiddlestix is an alternative brand with better reviews

A construction toy like this from Plan Toys http://www.moolka.com/jzv/prod/26071/Plan+Toys/Toys/Building+Toys/Construction+Models/Construction+Set%2C+60+pcs?p=c3E9cGxhbit0b3lzK2NvbnN0cnVjdGlvbg== or Baufix http://www.moolka.com/jzv/prod/20315/Baufix/Toys/Building+Toys/Construction+Models/Starter+Set+%23+10+Construction+Kit?p=YzM9NTE2

Some fancy blocks http://www.moolka.com/jzv/prod/22717/Haba/Toys/Building+Toys/Baby+Blocks/Building+Blocks+Sevilla?p=c3E9aGFiYStibG9ja3M=  or http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2960 or http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2852  to jazz about the plain wooden blocks, or a marble run like Quadrilla or Haba

Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have this set http://www.novanatural.com/toys/building/interlocking-blocks

a TON of choices here too http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade/toys/waldorf?q=blocks&noautofacet=1

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Boatbaby---those interlocking blocks look fabulous!  I think he'd love those!  :)  Simple enough for beginners, but able to build bigger structures. 

I keep flip-flopping on actual tinker-toys and I looked at the FiddleStix too...both have either GREAT or awful reviews.  I hate that!  Hard to judge!

He's enjoying the small set of Lincoln logs, so that might be sufficient for now.  I'll just have to think about it a bit and look more at the other suggestions.  It's not like he NEEEEEEEEDS construction toys right this minute!!!  In fact, if I bring something in, I'll definitely have to clear something else out to make room or I'll be overrun!  My small house is a blessing in that it forces me to make choices.  (OK, not as serious as living on a boat!! but still, more choices than I'd have in a big house with a separate play-room.) 

Old 03-16-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

I went with the interlocking blocks. Now to figure out what goes to make room!! Thanks for all of the suggestions!!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Also, have you seen Tegu blocks? Beautiful wooden blocks with magnets inside. http://live.tegu.com/

Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Also, have you seen Tegu blocks? Beautiful wooden blocks with magnets inside. http://live.tegu.com/

ooohhh  those are really cool!!!  I'm happy with my choice now, but those are neat!  Maybe when he's a little older.  (I have a Quadrilla set on my mental list too...actually, half of my family has Quadrilla on their list...my mom almost got one for my dad last year for Christmas!)  As we outgrow some things, it will make room for more big-kid projects in years to come.  :) 

Old 03-17-2011, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View PostI have a Quadrilla set on my mental list too...actually, half of my family has Quadrilla on their list...my mom almost got one for my dad last year for Christmas!

Santa brought DD an awesome mega Quadrilla set this past Christmas, because he shopped at ToysRus on a whim and found it 1/2 off!!! We all love it. What's great is that we can add lots of different sets to it over time.

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 PM

I don't know if you realized it or not but the person demonstrating the tegu blocks in the video is part of a live stream. That is his job-- build designs based on twitter requests.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

@Judi:  That's so cool that it's a live feed!  :)

@Boatbaby:  Thanks for the heads up on the interlinking blocks.   They're PERFECT.  They arrived yesterday and DS adores them.  A whole lot more sturdy than the Lincoln logs and tinker toys.  And easy to build with.  They were a bit of a splurge, but they'll be around my house forever, so I don't mind.  :)   And the quality is just lovely!

User Tag List