Mothering Forum banner

Was your dd/ds bored in Kindergarten?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  royaloakmi 
#1 ·
My dd turned 5 in February. She's in her 2nd year at our local Waldorf school, and in her first year of the mixed age Kindergarten class (4-year-olds turning 5, and 5-year-olds turning 6). Next year will be her "real Kindergarten year". We started out in the Pre-K program with little intention on staying with Waldorf after the pre-k program (b/c it's a private school w/ tuition), but now we're seriously considering staying and then moving on to the grades.

She's loved her time here and her teacher (we love her teacher and the whole community). However, sometimes I wonder if she will be "bored" next year. She said to my husband the other day, "I only play at school, but next year I'm going to learn all sorts of things when I'm in Kindergarten!" Of course, we understand that all the "play" has a purpose and is laying the foundation. She's a sharp, inquisitive kid (I'm not saying she's this super child or extra "smart", per se); and I worry that she will grow tired next year with the things she's already doing this year.

Anyone had any experience with this? Another mom at our school whose dd is now in 2nd grade told me her dd also got a little bored that same year, but that you just have to ride it out. I don't know if I want to do that....

I've visited 2 Montessori schools in our city, and their kindergarteners just look like they are learning so many new and exciting things...

Any advice?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Each child is different, my ds was never bored in kinde (2.5 years in total) before he went into 1st grade. Some people say that boredom is the sign of change in the child and of readiness to move into the lower school. I believe in my ds's case this was most likely true and I think he would have benefitted staying another year in kinde, but he is enjoying class 1 now. I think your dd will not be bored, she'll look after all the little ones and help the teacher etc.

#3 ·
ITA, every child is different. Mine was not bored for a second in Kindergarten and absolutely ready for First Grade on Day one.

IMHO, it can also depend upon where they fall as far as a birthday, too. I sometimes wonder about the late spring birthdays who often seem so much older and if they are the ones who are more apt to declare boredom. Can anyone comment?

#4 ·
My dd was in a Waldorf kg for 3 years - she has a July bday. The last year of kg was wonderful - she was so engaged and was able to be a "leader ." When first grade started
(at 7 years old. ) she was ready to learn.

It was a good lesson for me. I may have been bored with the kg
redface.gif
but to a small child, everything is new. I am so grateful for that "extra" year because dd changed so much during that time. I was a bit hesitant ( really 3 years of kg?) and now I wouldn't trade it for anything. She was able to really embrace many of the stories and develop an incredible ability to create pictures in her head. She was also able to build a huge degree of confidence in herself.

I really believe that Waldorf kg is a gift. Childhood passes to quickly. Let your child enjoy it.

#6 ·
My daughter has an October birthday. And she started Waldorf pre-school at 26 mos, 5 days a week. So, we're talking 4 years of kindy! She is very much looking forward to "First Grade Fridays" that her school conducts for the 6 year olds to prepare them for First Grade. She has told me once, recently, that she was bored one day. She's only there until 12:30, so, I'm not concerned that every day will present this challenge. Next year she will have more responsibility on a daily basis as a kindergartener. Her younger brother will start 2 days a week and is specifically not in her class so that she can have the experience of growing into a class leader and not being a "big sister". I look forward to being able to echo the sentiments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetest View Post

My dd was in a Waldorf kg for 3 years - she has a July bday. The last year of kg was wonderful - she was so engaged and was able to be a "leader ." When first grade started
(at 7 years old. ) she was ready to learn.

It was a good lesson for me. I may have been bored with the kg
redface.gif
but to a small child, everything is new. I am so grateful for that "extra" year because dd changed so much during that time. I was a bit hesitant ( really 3 years of kg?) and now I wouldn't trade it for anything. She was able to really embrace many of the stories and develop an incredible ability to create pictures in her head. She was also able to build a huge degree of confidence in herself.

I really believe that Waldorf kg is a gift. Childhood passes to quickly. Let your child enjoy it.

#7 ·
As pps have said, every child is different. Also our situation is different because we homeschool rather than attend a Waldorf school.

That said, our experience is similar. I worried about that second year of Kindy, too. In fact, when we started the first year of Kindergarten and my ODS was just 5 (he is an August baby), I was pretty sure we would be going with a mainstream schedule and that our schooling would be Waldorf-inspired and tending toward unschooling. The more we went with Waldorf Kindergarten, the more right it felt. And the more I felt that 'child-led' and 'Waldorf' were one and the same for us. We are now very much a Waldorf family. This year is his second year of Kindergarten....we call it his Bridge year. I wouldn't trade it for all the world!

My dreamy boy is all of a sudden saying he is bored (but still enrapt by stories, enthusiastic about finger play and rhymes, loving to sing). His is losing the top to baby teeth. He is absolutely fascinated by letters and numbers. He is spontaneously drawing Grade One forms absolutely everywhere. In short, he is so very ready for Grade One now. I almost feel as though I will not really be 'teaching' him next year so much as guiding him where he already seems to know where he is going. It is quite magical. (now I just need to feel a similar confidence about MY role in this, but that is another post!)

I can see being worried about waiting to start Grade One. I can see that for some few children, maybe waiting isn't the best choice, but in our experience it was absolutely the right thing to do. There's no getting back that second year spent in childish fuzziness! I'm so glad my boy had it and that I now have the experience I need to make right choices for the next two kids too.

#8 ·
I have twins -- one is quite sharp and the other is traditionally "gifted" (though I dislike the word.) They have both been in Waldorf pre-k, Kindergarden and now, 1st Grade. My son has taught himself to read (at least at a 6th grade level I'm guessing), but I don't think either of them have ever been bored. I was really worried about it, because they have both had a strong interest in letters, numbers, etc. before and during Kindergarden, but it has never been a problem.

Just remember, being "ready" is not all about the intellectual stuff. My kids are challenged daily in so many physical and social ways, not just with the letters, reading and math stuff. They love handwork, music, recess (which they wouldn't get as much in other settings) and don't seem bored at all.

It's worth inquiring if your school will test for 1st grade readiness and make an acception if the kid is ready, but doesn't meet the age requirement. I know that our school does on a case-by-case basis.

Good luck !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.