Removing colored pencil off an wood toy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Our new play kitchen has been decorated with a blue lyra high pigment pencil causing me to wish I had cheapo art supplies and better control off my temper. *sigh* My son is usually really careful with his toys. I know the fact that it was handmade, brand new, and *so pretty* are a big part of my frustration. Our new unfinished play kitchen has been decorated with a blue lyra high pigment pencil causing me to wish I had cheapo art supplies and better control off my temper. *sigh* My son is usually really careful with his toys. I know the fact that it was handmade and brand new are a big part of my frustration.

Any suggestions for how to get the marks off? I tried over the counter spray which works really well on finished word but not at all here. Goo Gone took off the top layer and residue. But there is still a strong visible blue mark. It looks more like a stain than a substance.

The toy isn’t painted so I guess sanding is a possibility but I am afraid of scratching it. And it is pretty pretty wood. It has a very thin layer of oil/beeswax finish.

Thoughts on how I can remove the marks? They are making me sad.

#2 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you tried a magic eraser?  We've had good luck with that.  My little girl drew on her playstand yesterday with crayons.  I got practically all of it off with a magic eraser.  Only I know that it has been drawn on now.  The playstand has a beeswax finish on it, too.  Hope you have luck!

copperfox likes this.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#3 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM

I have also had good luck using magic eraser. 

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
#4 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM

Deleted because of duplication.

Carry on.

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
#5 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Our amazing cleaning lady and her large bag o' toxic chemicals got rid of the marks. I am a little depressed that it took those but at least they are gone. I'll have to try the Magic Eraser. I've heard good things but I've never figured out what, exactly, they are.

#6 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 04:34 AM

I don't really know what they are, glorified sponges?  They clean lots of things, though.  Diaper wipe solution residue off walls, pencil and crayon off most anything, anything with dirt that is elusive to normal soap and water.  I use them dry mainly and buy just the store brand ones--they're good enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

Our amazing cleaning lady and her large bag o' toxic chemicals got rid of the marks. I am a little depressed that it took those but at least they are gone. I'll have to try the Magic Eraser. I've heard good things but I've never figured out what, exactly, they are.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#7 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 10:15 PM

Magic erasers are a sponge made from melamine foam. They do not leave chemical residue on the things they clean, so there's no need to worry about contamination. You get them wet with soapy water, like any other sponge, squeeze them out, and go to work. They fall apart gradually as you use them, so eventually there's not much left and you can throw that bit away. It is possible to give someone a friction burn by scrubbing their skin with one, so use them only on inanimate objects!

#8 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 04:14 PM

I have had some success with baking soda, a little bit of water, and using my finger to scrub.  That was on finished wood, however.  I'd imagine that unfinished wood might be a little harder.  Have you thought of maybe sanding it a bit?

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page