play kitchen OR outdoor house? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-02-2011, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Aunts and G-mas of the family are itching to get the kids something "bigger" as a combined summer birthday gift. 

I am thinking of asking for either a nice wooden play kitchen, or a nice wooden outdoor play house?

Which would you choose and what suggestions do you have? I've seen a few online but nothing that really stands out! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#2 of 5 Old 04-02-2011, 07:26 AM

If it was me I'd ask for the outdoor play house and make the play kitchen myself. But if you aren't handy/craft,  I will tell you that our play kitchen gets played with everyday as opposed to the outdoor toys. Here's a great thread that covers lots of play kitchens (both DIY and one's you can buy): CLICK

We have the Ikea play kitchen (both pieces) and the Plan Toys Fridge (the ice maker in the door is the coolest thing ever lol.)

I am not a big fan of the "gingerbread" style play kitchens and those two pieces fit our modern house better so that is why we went with them.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#3 of 5 Old 04-02-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

That thread is AMAZING, I want to hug you right now 

That's my concern - that the outdoor house won't get as much use. My thoughts are that DD can hide under a peach tree for a hideout, but on the other hand our yard now has NO SHADE -- besides that tiny peach tree (we live in the city) and a play house might be a nice retreat. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#4 of 5 Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM

We have both, but for sure our play kitchen gets WAY more play...from both my kids and other kids and for a rather large age span. I have been completely surprised by how very little they play in the garden house...i think they just prefer playing under an open sky.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#5 of 5 Old 04-03-2011, 10:11 PM

My kids have a playhouse--our converted shed--but they get more excited when I put our camping tent up on the lawn for them.

Of course, they also have a play kitchen--which lives in our playhouse--but when they choose to cook and set out play food, they generally ignore the kitchen and go straight to our bins of play food and their ceramic mini-dishes, most of which came from Ikea. We love the HABA wooden food--and it can get expensive to buy a lot of that--so you may want to encourage your family to think more about what will go IN the kitchen rather than the kitchen itself. My kids are 8 and 5 and still love their wooden play food, but the wooden kitchen definitely had a shorter lifespan.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page