Understanding Grimm's fairy tales - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I am pretty new to Waldorf, but my daughter is signed up to start at our local waldorf school next year. I understand that Grimm's fairy tales are a part of the curriculum. I am looking for resources that can help me analyze Grimm's ... the history and meaning and stuff like that. For example, I really like the way Goldilocks presents the "just enough" issue, but I'd like to understand the meaning of more of them. Are there any books that anyone can recommend, waldorf-y or not, that could help me to understand this better? Thanks! (I have heard of an author, last name Tatar, but I haven't really heard any reviews of her books.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bettelheim's "The Uses of Enchantment" is pretty good. Jane Yolan's book "Touch Magic" is also good, and a little more accessible, IMO.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like Roy Wilkinson's Interpretation of Fairy Tales - it is available at Bob and Nancy's Bookstore and probably other places if you want to check it out.

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~

User Tag List