Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

amazon

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#32 of 35 Old 05-22-2012, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I just joined and this is my first post lol. But I wanted to say that I have the box and crayons from when I was little :) so glad my parents kept them.....my boys use them now. We do have new ones as well so they each have some and then some at my parents :)

#33 of 35 Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 AM

You can clean block crayons by wiping them with a bit of olive oil and a soft rag.

bright_eyes likes this.
#34 of 35 Old 08-05-2012, 06:00 AM

Waldorf teacher Steve Sagarin discusses block crayons and many other aspects of crayon coloring here: 

http://ssagarin.blogspot.se/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=22

6. Block Crayons.
These are not suited to anyone’s hand for writing, and are designed for and convenient for creating washes of color. Here’s Wiechert: “In Waldorf schools worldwide there is an established custom that colored wax crayon blocks, then later on colored wax crayons are used for the first lessons in writing.

The question of the ergonomics of the wax crayon blocks was settled a long time ago: they were never thought of as instruments of writing, but for laying on expanses of color. Of course, you can make straight lines and bent lines with blocks too. However, a glance at the children’s hands shows that they hold the blocks in an unnatural and cramped way. It makes sense to get their little hands used to the wax crayons that nestle better in their hands from the very outset. (Yet the question needs to be raised - and allowed – as to how it would be if people in far off countries would look around to see what the local markets offer by way of writing equipment and other implements before falling back on these particular items. This gesture of looking to see what is available in the topical culture of the country concerned, that can be connected with, is a gesture to be positively affirmed in principle).”
#35 of 35 Old 08-23-2012, 03:55 PM

I had the Stockmar crayons as a child, so I know their texture.  That said, if you already have stick crayons at home, preferably a bin of broken ones, they're super easy to melt down.  We had some tin heart shaped baking molds we got at the dollar store that were a touch too small for cookies - I was going to make soap with them, but anyway.  I melted some plain old (and I do mean old) Crayola's down into the little heart shapes, and they came out great.  They're not breaking at all and the kids can either shade with the sides, or make sharper lines with the hearts' tips.  It recycled a bunch of nonusable crayons, and are a lot fewer pieces to keep track of than previously.  Just a thought in case anyone feels like being thrifty.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page