Anyone have the block crayons? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you like them? Do they really last the child's entire growing years? What's the best place to get them? The site I found them on is out of stock.

Thanks. 

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#2 of 35 Old 04-09-2011, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We really love them, and yes, they do last. As a matter of fact, my three-year-old is using crayons that have been handed down three times! They're great for little hands and definitely worth it, IMO.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 35 Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! Is it becuase of the wax they're made of, it doesn't wear down as fast? Or is it just because they're not breakable like conventional crayons that are garbage in a week?

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#4 of 35 Old 04-09-2011, 08:13 PM

The beeswax gives them their bright color and the shape makes them easier to clean up and keep reusing, but yes, I think it's mostly the fact that they're not breakable. It also makes it less frustrating for little hands to use.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 35 Old 04-09-2011, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm excited! Which site did you buy them from?

#6 of 35 Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 PM

They are awesome. We still have my son's from when he was 2.

I think I bought mine from eBay but any Waldorf site usually has them. Off of the top of my head:

threesisterstoys.com

achildsdream.com

novanatural.com

They are good for little hands to hold, and also to keep children from drawing in such a linear hard fashion so early.

#7 of 35 Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 AM

I think we got ours from Three Sisters, but shop around.  Not all places have the same price.  We really like them--they're toys as well as crayons.  My daughter uses them to make cakes, trains, tables, whatever.  Conventional crayons break about 30 seconds after opening the box and are so frustrating for our little girl.  I've heard good reviews of crayon rocks, but I admit I'm really partial to the blocks.  The colors are great and they come with a little tool to sharpen the edges.  Now, if only I could find my tool. . .

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#8 of 35 Old 04-10-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

That's exciting. THanks guys. :D

#9 of 35 Old 04-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiamama View Post

... The colors are great and they come with a little tool to sharpen the edges.  Now, if only I could find my tool. . .

Oh!!! I was wondering what that little blue tool was for. How is it used to sharpen the blocks?

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
#10 of 35 Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 PM

I have found that they last forever. In fact, my kids have the ones I got as a kid! The reason they last forever is that my kids really didn't care for them (and neither did I). They aren't drawn to them nearly as much as they are to stick-crayons. I still have some amazing Caran D'Ache crayons that were handed out to me in 6th grade of WS and they are still going strong.
#11 of 35 Old 04-10-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm That's a tough one. I don't want to buy them if they actually discourage  him from colouring. I guess I'll give them to him and if he doesn't use them much, try the other crayons.

#12 of 35 Old 04-10-2011, 05:23 PM

You can see a picture of the little tool here--it helps to hone the edges back to their former sharpness or to make the more blunt, depending on what you like. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperfox View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiamama View Post

... The colors are great and they come with a little tool to sharpen the edges.  Now, if only I could find my tool. . .

Oh!!! I was wondering what that little blue tool was for. How is it used to sharpen the blocks?

#13 of 35 Old 04-10-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I think you forgot the link. lo.l

#14 of 35 Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 PM

I still have mine from when I was little.  Mine were manufactured in West Germany wink1.gif.  We did chose to buy a new set so that my mom could keep my set at her house so dd would have something for when we went there.  I loved coloring with them, I still do!  I love making rainbows with the sides of them, my mom even remembers using them from when she went to a Waldorf school in Denmark, though she never had her own set.  That being said we also have the crayon rocks (not as vibrant and wear down fast) and the lyra ferby pencils (which we also love).  Dd can choose whatever medium she wants for her coloring.

annettemarie likes this.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#15 of 35 Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds awesome. :)

#16 of 35 Old 04-10-2011, 09:42 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
I got a mixed set because I couldn't decide and the stick crayons have been more popular with both kids. Ds had no problems with the sticks at 16 or 18m or whenever she expressed an interest. They can use the short stubby lira pencils as well and can't take them out and put them back into their holder (little snake from nova).

A toy garden has them in stock with 10% right now.
#17 of 35 Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 AM

Here is it:  http://www.achildsdream.com/arts_crafts_kits/art_supplies.htmI think my browser is having trouble with the cursor, so I may have thought I put it in and it didn't go.  Probably because I use Firefox.  And am 38,000 weeks pregnant.

#18 of 35 Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm I was wondering. Does the friction from having more surface area of crayon touching paper make it difficult for them to draw? Does the paper crumple? maybe that's why some kids lean towards the stick ones?

#19 of 35 Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 AM

We haven't experienced that, but we've always drawn on smooth paper.  And occasionally the furniture.

#20 of 35 Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Heehee. My walls are nicely decorated with pencil and marker.

Ok so I placed an order with A Toy Garden. The shiping total is pending (Im in canada) so as long as it's under 15 it's the best deal I can find.

#21 of 35 Old 04-11-2011, 11:33 AM

I just noticed you're in Canada, and I got mine from maplerose.ca or you can also get them from babynaturopathics.com or waldorf.ca

Also we color in a sketchbook (just one from our art store) so maybe that's why we've not had problems with them.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#22 of 35 Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM

My children have never had trouble drawing with them.

bcblondie likes this.
#23 of 35 Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Love love love the Stockmar beeswax block crayons. Typically in Waldorf classrooms young students will use the block crayons until 2nd/3rd grade when they're introduced to the stick crayons. They may take some getting used to if you're used to Crayola style crayons. I just youtubed the block crayons and came across this demonstration video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqnb39BxgWI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
#24 of 35 Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 PM

I bought the 16-set Stockmar block crayons in a tin and my 3-yr-old uses them everyday.  However, we also have the leftover pieces of a set of Crayolas, leftovers of Melissa & Doug triangle crayons, and a pouch of Crayon Rocks.  I think the Stockmar's are worth getting a set because they do last so long and are natural.  However, I would add a magical bag of those Crayon Rocks to your collection!  They are made of soy and are specifically shaped to strengthen their handwriting muscles.  However, they're soft and I don't see them lasting as long.  But, they are cheaper. You can get the Stockmar crayons or the Crayong Rocks at Amazon, The Wooden Wagon, A Toy Garden, Magic Cabin, etc.

#25 of 35 Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM

My understanding is that from a pedagogical point of view, the block crayons are intended for early elementary-aged children (grades 1-3) and are to facilitate specific coloring techniques.  The book Coloring With Block Crayons by Sieglinde de Francesca is a great resource to learn how to use them and how to teach children to use them.  She doesn't recommend direct instruction until first grade and says that young children can use whatever kind of crayon they want.  She notes that some Waldorf educators feel that stick crayons are more appropriate for young children because it is easier to use them to draw the kinds of archetypal images that little ones usually draw as part of their natural development.

We have both block and stick crayons.  My son, who is almost 10, really dislikes the blocks and even with direct instruction has had a hard time learning how to use them.  He uses them for certain effects like if he wants to cover the entire paper to make blue sky or if he wants to make green or brown land.  But that's about it.  My dd who is six uses both, but mostly the stick crayons.  However when she is in first grade in a year or so I plan to teach her how to use the block crayons properly and I suspect it will not be as hard for her as for ds.  She is more artistic in general.  At this point I just have all the crayons out in a basket and she can choose what she wants.

The block are more sturdy than the sticks, that's for sure.  Even with my expensive Stockmar stick crayons, we've had quite a bit of breakage.  With the blocks, they don't rarely break (unless thrown by some child in the middle of a tantrum).  My biggest problem with the blocks is that my younger kids like to eat them.  So I always end up with crayons full of bite marks.

#26 of 35 Old 05-12-2012, 02:50 PM

Oak Meadow has a sale going on through May. The block crayons are 20% off. My 2 year old loves them. She chooses them over her regular crayons and loves to stack them and line them up too.smile.gif
#27 of 35 Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 PM

I have 5 block crayons that I bought to try out and the only thing I don't like is that I stored them in a box with the stick crayons and they are all colored up now, especially the yellow.  So if you want to color with yellow, you have to 'clean' it a ton by drawing on a piece of paper until you've drawn all the other colors off.

Does this happen to other people?  How do you store them to keep them clean or do you not worry about it much?  My son, who loves to draw/color rarely uses the block crayons and I wonder sometimes if it's because it's such a pain having other colors on them.  I know I could store them separately but they are already all colored up from the other crayons and it's just convenient to store them all in one container so ds only has one container to grab when he wants to color.

#28 of 35 Old 05-20-2012, 08:44 PM

The easiest way to get the crayons to not mix is to keep them separate in a roll.  (see flickr link).  This one is very fancy but it is possible to make it in 10 minutes with some felt folded over and a couple of stitches on each side the of each block.  My 6 year old son made his own and he has fine motor issues.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8523960@N03/5118395645/

I didn't understand the block crayons until I was shown how to use them properly.  I copied a link for a "teaser" on how to use them.  Good on you for trying to give your son such beautiful materials, it really does make a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqnb39BxgWI

#29 of 35 Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 PM

Thanks settledwater, I'll have to try and make one of those!

#30 of 35 Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 PM

Oh, and I'll have to check out that dvd- that would be really neat to learn how to draw/color like that!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page