Help me pick a recorder/flute for my soon to be 1st Grader, please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Beginning soprano recorder, pentatonic recorder, or pentatonic flute? Wood or plastic? Which brands? How am I supposed to teach this to my child?! I need some help please....

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#2 of 4 Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I would contact the Music teacher at your child's school and consider his/her suggestion. I know your flute should be pentatonic, preferably wooden. Many Waldorf schools use the Choroi pentatonic flutes for the lower grades.

Good luck! What an exciting chapter in your child's life! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone ever heard of a Quinta pentatonic flute, and can tell me anything about it?

knittygritty: My dd is homeschooled, and we're not at all familiar with the local Waldorf school. Would a Waldorf teacher think it weird giving a recommendation to a parent of a child who is not going to their school?

ETA: DD was looking at instruments with me and mentioned she would prefer to learn to use a kinderlyre/harp, rather than a pentatonic flute. Are children ever taught this in the 1st Grade? Or, at what time traditionally does Waldorf teach stringed instruments?

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 4 Old 04-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I have not heard of a Quinta pentatonic flute, sorry! Hopefully someone else can ring in on that.

Honestly, I don't think a teacher would find it odd to talk to a parent about his/her field, whether the child is enrolled at the school or not. I certainly wouldn't if a parent contacted me about knitting! Another suggestion is to look at some websites for Waldorf schools...sometimes the music programs list what instruments they use. A few sites may have Parent Handbooks to download that talk about required supplies, and they may list instruments.

Traditional Waldorf curriculum designates the 3rd grade for stringed instruments--it corresponds with the 9 year change.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page