Waldorf student seriously injured in swordplay - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just a shout out to people with kids at Waldorf schools who might encounter similar sword play with real weapons:

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/student-was-injured-by-sword-during-school-play-rehearsal-lawsuit-claimes/ 

#2 of 15 Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 PM

It looks like this happened during a play rehearsal - not while children were playing. The fact it happened at a Waldorf school is just incidental. Very sad, though.
#3 of 15 Old 04-24-2011, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess I was kind of struck by the fact that they were using real metal swords.  I know that at public schools, they'd be cardboard or something similar.

#4 of 15 Old 04-24-2011, 04:44 AM

Woah.

#5 of 15 Old 04-24-2011, 01:42 PM

Allegations in a complaint are only part of the story -not what actually occurred. Perhaps a Waldorf school would be more likely to use realistic props in a play, but they are more likely to have plays in the first place. That doesn't make Waldorf schools more dangerous than public schools, or a basis to scare people.
#6 of 15 Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Ummmm.....  I'm not trying to scare people.  Good grief.  This little boy has brain damage due to use of a real sword during practice for a play.  I am merely pointing out to other Waldorf families that perhaps using real swords during play rehearsal is not such a good idea.  Defensive a bit?

Attached Mama likes this.
#7 of 15 Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 AM

nvm

#8 of 15 Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetest View Post

Allegations in a complaint are only part of the story -not what actually occurred. Perhaps a Waldorf school would be more likely to use realistic props in a play, but they are more likely to have plays in the first place. That doesn't make Waldorf schools more dangerous than public schools, or a basis to scare people.

I am curious- why do you think Waldorf schools are more likely to have plays?? headscratch.gif

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#9 of 15 Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

And exactly WHY could they not do what my son's school did with "Peter Pan" and use pretend swords along with choreography?  *I* used to do medieval reenactment fencing and our "real" weapons were not edged and had a blunt tip.  WHY didn't someone stop this from the minute somoene handed a student a REAL WEAPON in the first place?!

Attached Mama likes this.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#10 of 15 Old 04-25-2011, 05:06 PM

At the age of fourteen, kids in public school have access to shop tools for wood and metal working (which can blind people, remove limbs, etc.) They might cook and take things out of ovens or handle sharp knives in the kitchen. Fourteen year old farm kids can commonly drive the family tractor.  There are lots of situations where children this old are in high risk situations.  Two more years and this is a kid that can take a driving test.  I don't think this is particularly about being a Waldorf school.  This is about an individual school making a judgement call that wasn't appropriate to the situation.  It's very sad, and the school needs to take responsibility, but at age fourteen a child may be taking risks anywhere.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#11 of 15 Old 04-26-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

OK.  Well, I'm going to maintain my humble opinion that giving a kid a sword to lunge with at another kid is irresponsible.  Just like laying down concrete under a climbing structure.  These are easily avoided poor choices regarding safety.  I'm also struck by the defensiveness of so many on this thread.  Jeez, nobody is saying you are a bad parent or you made a bad choice....  just that this seemed like a very preventable thing with a little grown-up common sense.

#12 of 15 Old 04-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Hi dancingmama.  Just wanted to say sorry if I was sounding defensive.  My kids are actually in a very rural public school now and I didn't like the public school put-downs from the Waldorf school community before I left, either.  I guess my point was that what the school did was irresponsible and unsafe, but that the fact it was a Waldorf school didn't necessarily have anything to do with it.  It just takes one adult with poor judgement to cause a  tragic accident in any sort of school, especially with activities like sports, plays and class trips when things are somewhat out of routine.  I think what peaceful_mama said about what they do for the historical re-enactment swords makes sense, and in fact that is what we did in the public school I went to.  Sometimes well meaning family and community members donate inappropriate things to (many sorts of) schools and it is the school's responsibility to find a safer alternative.  Just wanted to say we're in agreement about giving the kid a real sword being inappropriate, I just didn't think the educational method was the real issue at hand.  It's kind of like if someone from a church did something inappropriate while they were supposed to be representing their church, it might have nothing to do with the church or religion and more to do with the person.  Anyway, sorry if what I said had you feeling uncomfortable.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#13 of 15 Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM

Farmerbeth, I agree, there are definitely hazards out there for a 14 year old.  But , putting a real weapon in the hands of an adolescent is just plain stupid.  Do most Waldorf schools use real weapons in their theatre productions? 

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#14 of 15 Old 05-02-2011, 04:59 PM

Wow!  horrible and totally irresponsible!       :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingmama View Post

Just a shout out to people with kids at Waldorf schools who might encounter similar sword play with real weapons:

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/student-was-injured-by-sword-during-school-play-rehearsal-lawsuit-claimes/ 

#15 of 15 Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Our school has done a play every grade year, many involving swords but never live steel.  The swords in our plays are usually wooden.  How odd they decided to use live steel with children this age.

Tags
Waldorf , Dolls Pretend Play

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page