Making block crayons anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone know how I could make my own block crayons?

Melissa

#2 of 5 Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 AM

I imagine you could make them in the same way that people make crayons out of scraps in muffin tins, just find a silicon mold that would make block shapes instead.  Something like a candy mold, perhaps? smile.gif

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#3 of 5 Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 AM

We've done it using old Crayola crayons and silicone muffin cups (you can get these cheap at a grocery store or craft store).  The whole process was easy (just Google "Crayon cakes") but I wasn't happy with the quality.  The pigment separated out from the wax so that they don't mark well and are hard to use.  I still have them around IN CASE we ever use them but I now wish I had not wasted my time.  However, maybe I just goofed it up.  You could try making one or two and see.  I think we just put the crayon bits into the molds and put them in our oven at 200 for an hour or so to melt the wax and then let them harden.  What I don't know is how to do this if you don't use pre-existing crayons ...

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#4 of 5 Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post

We've done it using old Crayola crayons and silicone muffin cups (you can get these cheap at a grocery store or craft store).  The whole process was easy (just Google "Crayon cakes") but I wasn't happy with the quality.  The pigment separated out from the wax so that they don't mark well and are hard to use.  I still have them around IN CASE we ever use them but I now wish I had not wasted my time.

This was my experience with making crayons at home as well - just doesn't seem to work. 

But - if you had pure beeswax and knew how and had the pigment it might be different.  Personally, I feel this is one area where you should just spend the $$$$ for the pre-made item that you really want.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#5 of 5 Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post

We've done it using old Crayola crayons and silicone muffin cups (you can get these cheap at a grocery store or craft store).  The whole process was easy (just Google "Crayon cakes") but I wasn't happy with the quality.  The pigment separated out from the wax so that they don't mark well and are hard to use. 

There are tricks to getting the crayons to set just right. We had the same issues when we first did it too. Here is a post about those issues. Becky does a great job with hers, and I think heating the oven then turning it off is a big part of it. GOOD LUCK!

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page