Another book thread: More like My First Little House (with Almanzo) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Not necessarilly a Waldorf specific question, but you all always suggest the best books!  :-D  We have 4 of the My First Little House books.  Prairie Day and all three of the ones with Almanzo (Winter on the Farm, A Farmer Boy Birthday, and County Fair).  DS OMG-LOVES the Almanzo ones.  LOOOOVES. 

He loves to learn about the "why" behind what they're doing.  And he had a great time visiting an old 1860's working farm last weekend.  He saw all the same tools and had lots of info already when the costumed staff were asking him questions.  They were pleased to see that he knows how to sweep and basics about cooking and sewing and things like that.  He found a little rag doll and immediately wanted to know if the lady we were speaking with had sewn it.  :-D  That's my baby!  They get a lot of school groups from the big metro where kids just have no exposure to any hand-work at all. 

Are there any more books...story books or kid-friendly reference books...about that lifestyle that might make a fun addition to our family library?  I might pick up one or two more of the My First Little House books, but he definitely likes the Almanzo ones the best. 

I tried reading the full-length Farmer Boy to him, but as soon as we got to a familiar part, he had me put it away to read the "real" Almanzo book and he hasn't been inclined to go back to the longer book. 

Oh, and I got a Historical Society membership so we can go back to the farm any weekend!  It's about an hour away, but worth the drive!  (There are some other neat reenactment sites near us too, so we should have a fun time doing little field trips this summer!)

This is such a fun and healthy (and even useful!) interest to explore for both of us, that I'd love to dive in even further!  (As far as we can living in a townhouse in the burbs!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pelle's New Suit and Peter's Old House by Elsa Beskow are nice books of a similar type.  They are about making things, going to different people who have different skills and resources to help the making process along.  Shearing sheep, spinning yarn, and so forth.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I remember pouring over this in elementary school, around the same time as I read the Little House books.

http://www.amazon.com/1897-Sears-Roebuck-Catlg-Perelman/dp/0791046265

Have you spoken to a good children's librarian?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Love Elsa Beskow!  I'll look at those titles next time we're in the mood for some books.

And the Sears catalog...I remember doing the same thing when I was in elementary school.  It was fascinating!

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post

He found a little rag doll and immediately wanted to know if the lady we were speaking with had sewn it.  :-D  That's my baby! 

This touched my heart so much!  It sounds like you and your son will have a wonderful summer ahead.

I will second Pelle's New Suit and Peter's Old House as they are the first books that came to mind reading your post.  The Sears catalog is something I've never thought of before. I'm sure my son would just love that too, what a neat suggestion.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Why don't you try the full-length Little House in the Big Woods? Farmer Boy is for an older child, but he should enjoy the first LH book.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

Why don't you try the full-length Little House in the Big Woods? Farmer Boy is for an older child, but he should enjoy the first LH book.

We did read that one last summer. He enjoyed it...though he definitely liked different parts than I did when I first read it! He was all about the hunting and horses and cougars. I think he'd love Farmer Boy if he wasn't so familiar with the picture books. It's right up his alley...about a horse crazy boy!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:34 PM

I used to love those books! I had completely forgotten. I need to write this stuff down, so when my boys are a little older I can read those books to them.

User Tag List