Is there an Idiots Guide to Waldorf Education? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, 

despite the question in the title of my post, believe it or not I'm a newly appointed trustee of our Moray Steiner School (in North East of Scotland) and I love the school, my oldest child adores it, my youngest is sort of coming round to it...and we feel good about the whole Steiner thing.

I was asked to be a trustee for other skills I have that I can offer the school, and the one thing I think I lack is any sort of expertise in Steiner Education.  I have looked in our parents library for any books, and I love (and have at home) the practical "All Year Round".

What I don't have and can't seem to get hold of is like the "Idiot's Guide" type of book.  Without meaning to offend, I'm just unable to understand or digest any of Rudolf Steiner's direct talks (or at least the one's I've looked at) about education.

I feel in my new role I want to inform myself a little more so I thought I'd get some ideas from anyone on this forum who maybe able to point a book out that will give me the layperson's guide to the curriculum and philosophy.  I also see that as we are looking at marketing our school wider in the community we also need to help educate any potential new parents who may not know much about Waldorf/ Steiner ideas.

It also might be nice to have this thread and information on this forum for any parents who could be considering a Waldorf School but don't know much about it.

Many thanks for your help

xxkathy

www.joyfulparents.co.ukjoy.gifSimple, Fun, Creative ways to put the Joy back into parenting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 01:42 PM

So, I am a homeschooling mama who wanted to learn about Waldorf.  I totally agree about Steiner's works being hard to digest and understand so I had to look elsewhere for someone who had already "translated" for me.  winky.gif

Some books that I read when I wanted to learn about Waldorf Education and still refer to:

Jack Petrash, Understanding Waldorf Education: Teaching from the Inside Out

Pamela Fenner, Waldorf Education, A Family Guide

What is a Waldorf Kindergarden is a collection of various authors

Hope that helps!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:26 PM

I also recommend School as a Journey by Torin Finser....it's an autobiographical account of one teacher's experience taking a class of kids from grades one through eight and a readable inside look at waldorf education.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

thanks.  this is a great start  I'll read the reviews and see which one I start with ...

xKathy

www.joyfulparents.co.ukjoy.gifSimple, Fun, Creative ways to put the Joy back into parenting

User Tag List