Alternatives to tv handbook? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-19-2011, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have this handbook by Marie McClendon? I really need some hints to get my kids tv-free, but I can´t find this book here in Finland. Is it worth ordering all the way from US?

Mom to three (A & V 2004, T 2009fly-by-nursing2.gif), teacher, DIYier, Waldorf enthusiast, declutterer, wannabe domestic goddess, a jane-of-all-trades, a dreamer

#2 of 7 Old 06-19-2011, 05:12 AM
Banned

you know, I've never heard of it.

but, since we moved here (NZ) we don't have a TV, and while DS didn't watch TV before, he did get "second hand" tv via us. 

once here, he got some TV on occasion -- a movie now and again, some videos online (you tube length), and sometimes it was more frequent than we liked. 

the thing that helped us really break free of the TV/video stuff was -- honestly -- going outside. We have a fairly strong rhythm, but going outside makes a HUGE difference for all of us. We go on rather long walks/hikes, to the beach, we play in the sand, climb rocks, etc (we live on the sea). 

So, that's made a HUGe difference for us.

We are also in the process of decreasing computer screen time at home. Other than our ukulele lessons, the computer isn't on when we're together. This has been my new challenge -- breaking my habits! :D

but the rhythm is everything. 

Also, how old are your children?

because you might set up other specific things during normal TV times. If TV time is meant to be passive, then perhaps quiet crafting such as wet-on-wet painting, or handwork, or similar. If TV time tends to be more active (or would be a more active time in the rhythm), then consider songs with movement (hand gestures, whole body gestures), or even simply a drumming/instrument circle with free playing and dancing and singing. 

These are some of the newest additions to our home, which makes everything really joyous. Also, time slows down. :)

#3 of 7 Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 AM

I'd never heard of the book, but actually just ordered it. I'll let you know if it's any good. Thanks for the recommendation!

#4 of 7 Old 06-20-2011, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I must confess that I have been using tv as a babysitter hide.gif. I have three kids, 7 year old twins (boy and girl) and 20 months old daughter. The older ones are quite easy. When summer began I simply said that there would be no tv at all for them, and they agreed. We talked about five weeks, but I think the break will last longer. They are very imaginative and it took about ten minutes to get over the fact that they wouldn´t be watching tv in the summer. But the baby is something else... I basically need some time for me, to drink my coffee or read the paper etc. She won`t let me do anything. She is very determined and she always wants me around. Even when the twins are keeping company she is climbing all over me. We have a lot of good stuff going on in tv (like Swedish version of Pippi Longstocking), but still I don´t like her to watch it. I just don´t know any other way to get some time for myself. Now we have had two weeks tv free, and my morning moments are gone.

I know I´m being selfish, but I want to believe there could be some kind of solution. I know she is still small and of course she needs me. I´m just looking for some balance between our both´s needs. If there isn´t one, I will settle down, but maybe someone has had similar problems before and maybe they have solved the problem... But also, if the book will give some more ideas for my older ones, I would be really happy too. They are starting school in august and I know they will meet kids who can watch anything (even though they are going to Waldorf, or Steiner school as we call it here). I want to make them feel strong enough about this.

Mom to three (A & V 2004, T 2009fly-by-nursing2.gif), teacher, DIYier, Waldorf enthusiast, declutterer, wannabe domestic goddess, a jane-of-all-trades, a dreamer

#5 of 7 Old 06-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned

I can understand where you are coming from. 

i hate to make it sound so simple, but it could be in the rhythm. the time i used for myself when DS was still napping was his nap time, and then -- in your case -- make sure the older children have an independent activity. 

my son no longer naps, but he's old enough to play on his own (and he's been like that for a *very* long time -- since forever really) so it's easy for me to have some time to myself while he is occupied. We do still play with him of course, but much of our time is spent encouraging him to play on his own (language: Mommy is doing X now, DS can help or he can play X." And it's usually related to moving toward a passive or active activity.)

I'm just about to introduce him to wet-on-wet painting -- "drawing" is now frustrating him, but I think he'll like wet-on-wet. he's nearly 3 though.

#6 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

When I need to entertain my 22m, I usually set up some sort of art. I'll get out a new piece of paper and tape it to the table, put out a specific implement like the crayons or the markers or something and walk around. It acts like a a magnet. Or I'll set up play clay or watercolors or fingerpaints or a sheet of stickers or anything really. The mere act of setting it up in an attractive way makes it a draw. It works for my older 4 year old too.

Or a pouring activity or water etc. (We are tv free)

#7 of 7 Old 06-25-2011, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

I have tried these art things too, and DD really likes it, but she wants me around all the time. I think this might be very usual, but my only experience as a mom before her is with twins. They were happy with each other, and still are, even though they needed their mommy time too. So it´s only me, not her. But I´m still interested in the book!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page