16 month old boy's day - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone. I am Elizabeth from NC and thanks for reading. I am a mom to a 16 month old son.

I am new to learning about the Waldorf way of life and love it. It feels so right to me and resonates with something very deep inside of me.

I stay at home with Jake and we have a very basic daily rthymn that flows quite well for us. He is so curious and full of energy I was wondering what others do with their young toddlers. I have done alot of decluttering and have mostly open ended toys that he plays with. We also have a bit of time outdoors every day. he also likes to imitate me sweeping and wiping the table down, folding laundry etc.

Would love to hear from others.

Elizabeth in NC

#2 of 8 Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM

My DS is going to be 13 months old but here are some things he enjoys currently 

Water play! I fill a basin with water and he splashes 

Bean play! I do the same with beans and he plays (I watch closely so he doesn't eat..) 

Mud play! (same idea, in mud) 

I also let him have treasure baskets with things from the kitchen that are safe, he enjoys those 

He just woke up, need to run! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#3 of 8 Old 07-22-2011, 12:52 AM

Trying to remember back...that was a fantastic age for my little boy. :)

We would try to play outdoors in the mornings...or outdoor outings to a park, garden, beach, etc. Then rest time and indoor play.

Is that too vague?  In our yard he loved our sand or water table (I never did the same at once, then it would be mud. LOL. So it was seasonally-directed).

#4 of 8 Old 07-22-2011, 09:54 AM

I think when I had a child that age that our rhythm was pretty loose--outside in the morning after chores, lunch, quiet/naptime, supper, bath, bed.  I think that's enough for most tiny ones.  Lots of fresh air heals a world of woes and improves appetites.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#5 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiamama View Post

I think when I had a child that age that our rhythm was pretty loose--outside in the morning after chores, lunch, quiet/naptime, supper, bath, bed.  I think that's enough for most tiny ones.  Lots of fresh air heals a world of woes and improves appetites.

That sounds a lot like our day with my 22 month old DS. He's so little, there isn't time for much else. 

#6 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 06:15 PM

Things vary daily with my 16 month old, as she is getting molars and everything seems to be changing SO fast. But, unless we are out all day, I try to incorporate these things into each day:

I read her a book, then she reads it to me.
Fabric play- with clothing, scarves, sheets, or cloth napkins. She plays a mean game of peekaboo.
Water play- either in the kiddie pool, at the public pool, in the creek, or in the sink. (no bathtub)
Food play- Helping mommy stir something, raking chopped vegetables into a pan, right now she is playing with beets like stamps on paper (except its on the hardwood floor)
Music time- aka, mommy cleaning the kitchen while baby dances around and screams the songs to the top of her lungs.
Working in the kitchen- I have a box of lids: mason jar rings, tupperware lids, pickle jar lids, ect. She scoots them around on the floor and plays with them.
Typing time- I type everyday, so I always try to let her do it for awhile too. DH thinks this is the reason some of our programs dont work the way they used to. eyesroll.gif
Magazine ripping time- she has a basket of magazines that she rips the pages out of and brings them to me.

We also go outside and water plants, run errands (she loves to give the credit card to the lady at rite aid), play in the dirt, jump around in the laundry, take showers, and try to poop on the potty smile.gif

We're busy. No wonder I can never seem to get anything done.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 PM

my dd really enjoys sorting -esp polished rocks, stick etc., pushing things like a baby in stroller, drawing and mark-making like with a paintbursh and water outside, beeswax crayons etc., climbing, sliding, swinging, being thrown, throwing and retriveing balls, stories, songs, finger and toe games, our rhythm varies in the details, but it's wake up, breakfast, get dressed, play inside or go for walk to park or go in yard, help mama sweep, throw things int he garbage (one by one), polish wooden toys with beeswax, "wash dishes" with soapy water and a few dishes usually clean ones,snack, nap aroun 11 with a specific song, wake up and lunch, usually some free play indoors and outdoors too...she has silk scarves, a few wooden puzzles, wooden dishes and kitchen she "cooks" on, dolly, blocks and balls... the best days for ehr being so active and loving people (and it goes against some waldorf stuff i guess which suggests staying home a lot) is when we are out around multi-ages of kids and oh gtg

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#8 of 8 Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thank you all for such quick and wonderful posts. I am so new to being a SAHM as well as loving Waldorf that my confidence is not too high that I am doing it "right".

It seems like many of the things I am doing is right along with what you are doing. Yeah. I am still learning so much and have spent the last year really decluttering and staying around the house with Jake which feels so right for us. As several of you mentioned, he is changing so rapidly I was cautious that I was not in tune with his needs. Sounds like my instincts were right one. That is comforting.

Thanks so much ladies. We are off to the pool now as we are experiencing the 4 day in a row of 100+ degree weather.

Elizabeth in NC 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page