Mothering Forum banner

Waldorf Schooling.. Waldorf Private school vs Waldorf "Inspired" Charter Scools

Tags
waldorf
3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  lauren 
#1 ·
I have been reading the Waldorf schooling formats and have a question. Has anyone gone from a Private Waldorf to a Charter Waldorf "Inspired" school? My Grand children have attended Private Waldorf for several years. 1 through 3rd, and kindergarten. This Waldorf school had the most educated, professional, long term teachers, Waldorf trained for both of these g children's classrooms. This is very important as the children stay with these teachers until the 8th grade. Both children loved the school, teachers, and Waldorf community. Sadly, they had to relocate to Az, but were thrilled to discover there was a Waldorf "Inspired' school close by. The children attended, after many unreturned calls to the addmission coodinator {should have been the ist sign of things to come} they enrolled. 4th grade teacher was a love, but brand new out of college and certainly not "Waldorf educated or waldorf trained. {Waldorf has schooling for teachers ongoing to teach the Waldorf method} My g child.. who is musically inclined and plays the piano by ear, was just learning the violin... loved it at her Waldorf private school in the N East... but we noticed that she was struggling at this waldorf "Inspired" school.. Odd.. Until we found out that the "music teacher" was unable to motivate or even teach violin properly.. as she had NO experience, NONE! and according to her " was forced into the role of a music teacher" Appalling! Yet, she took her frustrations out on these dear children that were so excited to learn this instrument.. alas... their interest weaned quickly and some gave up on thev violin completely. ridiculas! It became a teacher vs student cycle... True Waldorf? I think not! I am surprised that this Waldorf Inspired Charter School is allowed any asociation with Steiner Waldorf teaching asit sullies the name and concept of R.Steiner Waldorf. Enter 5th grade... new teacher... there goes the conntinuity.. to stay with the teacher up until 8th grade... Old teacher gone, new teacher enters.. A much older woman. heavy public school backround, teaching all public school exp, parents believed.. retired or very close to retiring from public education... This older "teacher" came with her public school attitude... which certainly does not fit with true Waldorf teaching. {nothing against public school teaching...just not for Waldorf} She had opinions that the 5th graders were not responsible enough, not disciplined enough, so far as to insult their parents methods of disciplining them! TO These children..these statements were made! Her negative, hostile, attitude from day one set the tone for this class and these children.. They were publically humiliated in class, pitted against one another if their "school Work" did not live up to her standards... yet her standards seen on open house or conference days to view were not even up to date! She assigned projects without any knowledge what so ever as to what she was assigning, and one of these projects definitely would have and should have cost her her job if parents had spoken up to the administration,, which they did not,, they were kind to her andrealized that humans error.. a concept she totally disregarded in her class room.. Errors by 5th graders were made by incompetence, poor listening etc etc... Disgraceful! Sadly, many of these 5th graders are leaving this school because of this teacher... evidently.. not willing to spend 3 more years with her as their main teacher {If,Indeed..she has not retired by then..which opens another can of worms as to the waldorf Method of teaching} This is why I feel that a Waldorf "Inspired" Charter School has given Waldorf Private School a look that is not Waldorf "Inspired" at all. yes, they try to teach the waldorf method for the most part.. but the quality of the teaching is by far not comparable to the educators at Waldorf Private Schools. having the experience of bothWaldorf private and Waldorf "Inspired Charter,, I would not recommend Waldorf "Inspired" Charter Schools, esp Az, without serious knowledge of R. Steiner and his ideas and concept of what Waldorf education is,meant to "Inspire!"

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I would never put my child in a Waldorf anything as it would be a terrible fit for my own children. However, to judge ALL Waldorf inspired programs based on ONE that you've had a bad experience with is a mistake. The Waldorf inspired public school in our county is quite successful and parents say wonderful things about it. To be honest, I've come across far more that have pulled their child out of the "real" Waldof than the public Waldorf inspired.

I am very sorry the kids have had a poor experience and hopefully you can find a better fit for them elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.