bath toys - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

talk to me about bath toys folks. What do you have in your tub? What do your kids play with?

Until recently the kids have had no bath toys really. We had a lot of plastic for a couple of years, but many of them went yucky and we also have tried to get rid of all the plastic toys in the house, bath toys included. So as a result the kids have had the odd empty shampoo bottle, or a duck or a plastic animal toy brought from the playroom. I thought this was enough. I also feel that it's nice to just enjoy the sensations of being in the water with the smells of oils and bubbles and each other's company. I don't think bath time needs to be totally over taken by 'play' with toys.

My mum came to visit this week and secretly has bought some plastic bath toys for the kids. They just appeared at the side of the bath. She obviously felt they were lacking in the toy dept. there. How do you feel about toys in the bath? Are there any non plastic, or really nice you can recommend?

Thanks Laura x

#2 of 11 Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 PM

One of the things my DD has really enjoyed in the bath is wooden bowls. The ones we have are straight-sided rather than angled, and when they float upside-down, she can tap them to make pretty sounds. Definitely percussive, but with a pitch. Right side-up, they can be boats, or she can scoop up bubbles or water. We didn't buy these specifically for play--they are just an old set of salad bowls. Other than that, she just plays with a metal milk frothing pitcher leftover from a cappuccino phase of mine. smile.gif

Mama to DD (7) and DS (1). gd.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpgcd.gifnocirc.gif  bftoddler.gif

#3 of 11 Old 08-24-2011, 05:34 PM

We *do* allow plastic in the tub, but some more "Waldorf" inspired toys are: little wooden boats, wooden bowls and cups for pouring and making bubble potions! Really those two things alone can make for any great water play : ) We also love bath crayons for drawing 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#4 of 11 Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 PM

we have a metal sifter, of sorts.  It has a metal lid with holes that one could shake powdered sugar through if it was being used in the kitchen. It's great for pouring water in the tub!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#5 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 PM

Ooh, I love the sifter idea... I have a tiny metal colander I could add!  We have some stainless steel bowls in different sizes, seashells, some smooth beach rocks, and cloth animal puppets (a.k.a. washcloths). 

#6 of 11 Old 09-04-2011, 08:59 PM

We have corks someone passed on to us. Like from bottles of.wine. they usually become a flock of ducks. Also the half of a coconut hell that has three holes knocked in it. Super fun! Porcelain enamel cups. Wooden boats.Our two boys in water don't need much else. They never seem to lack for inspiration. The excitable one ends up laying with his ears under water in a meditative state after the younger one climbs out...well that or providing us with a super loud rendition of jingle.bells. LOL

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#7 of 11 Old 10-30-2011, 08:52 AM

oh, yes, we have a small colander, too!  i had forgotten about that. 

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#8 of 11 Old 10-30-2011, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We're pretty pared down in the tub too, mostly because I limit the plastic too. We do always have one or two of these hanging around: http://www.nurtured.ca/Natural-Rubber-Dolphin_p_964.html They make all sorts of aquatic animals (octopus, different ducks, frogs, etc). They're spendy, so they tend to be birthday or Christmas gifts. We also have a few seashells, a mason jar for pouring and scooping (and rinsing heads!), a little wooden duck from a broken haba toy, and sometimes I throw in a whisk if they have bubbles. The corks are a brilliant idea - I'll have to drink some more wine! :)

For greater things are yet to come...

#9 of 11 Old 11-02-2011, 11:48 PM

Right now, in our tub, there are:

• Seashells of various sizes, but none small enough to be choked on or go down the drain
  • Enamel colander
  • Stainless Steel bowls of different sizes
  • Random Sliech horses, since they're plastic. 

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#10 of 11 Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

kitchen stuff - measuring cups and funnels.

#11 of 11 Old 11-30-2011, 05:10 PM

I know this is an older thread, but I just saw these goodies on Etsy and wanted to share.

Wooden Tub Toys by MamaMadeThem on Etsy

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page