What are your favourite places to buy 'Waldorf' toys and supplies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

dh and I are planning for our first child are in need of some resources. I have a long background in early childhood studies and am currently a primary teacher, but I am having trouble finding the kind of toys, clothing, furniture, decor, and supplies we would like to use with our little one. We tend to gravitate towards the Waldorf philosophy, so I imagine shops that cater to Waldorf families would be great for us too. Do you have any favourite shops or resources to share? I'm looking through the archives as well.

There are also two things I'm trying to track down that maybe someone can help me with. That beautiful root children lantern. Is this available anymore? I saw it ages ago and am kicking myself for not buying it then. Also those pictures where you can change the window scene from night to day. Thanks so much!

Nikki crochetsmilie.gif, partner to Jeremy guitar.gif. Baby Joshua Nolan is finally here after a many year struggle with infertility. I blog at www.loliecraft.blogspot.com. dog2.gifcat.gifhamster.jpghamster.jpg

#2 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 04:52 PM

There are so so so many wonderful resources that I'm sure I'll leave some out. Here are the ones that come to mind first. A lot of cool stuff can often be found on Etsy too!! Some of the ones listed below also have print catalogs to share. Hope this helps!

Palumba

Nova Natural

Magic Cabin

the Wooden Wagon

Hazelnut Kids

Hearth Song

Waldorf Treasures

Bella Luna Toys

Blueberry Forest Toys

ETA*** Is this it??  http://www.amazon.com/Kinderkram-Wooden-Silhouette-Root-Children/dp/B004OY5PGM/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1315353311&sr=1-1

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

#3 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Yeah, Wendy's list pretty much covers it.  I will note that I had trouble with Blueberry Forest not fulfilling an order and failing to communicate with me (or the Better Business Bureau) one way or the other.  I guess I would add A Toy Garden--better prices on some things that Nova and Magic Cabin have.  Fast shipping, too. wink1.gif

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#4 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 05:08 PM

And that lantern is CUTE!

#5 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 08:27 PM

Also meadow sweet naturals
Waldorf supplies (paper scissors stone)
Ebay!
Mercurius
Hanna Andersson for clothes is popular with some waldorfians
There's a number of websites that cater to those of.us that use waldorf education at home, too.
Hmmm, I think there's more but I'm pretty tired, oh!
Weir dolls and toys or something like that
a childs dream come true
Musically attuned, I think its called...for instruments
Kristen @ Earthschool has a store, I think its cedar ring.
and Living Crafts magazine is a waldorf craft magazine with lots of ads for suppliers and some book ideas too.

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#6 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for the great resources. I am having fun looking through everything. Thanks so much!

Wednesday - That's the one! Unfortunately I'm in Canada so Amazon wont ship it to me. Maybe I'll be able to find a friend who will. Thanks!

Nikki crochetsmilie.gif, partner to Jeremy guitar.gif. Baby Joshua Nolan is finally here after a many year struggle with infertility. I blog at www.loliecraft.blogspot.com. dog2.gifcat.gifhamster.jpghamster.jpg

#7 of 17 Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 PM

In Canada: www.maplerose.ca

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#8 of 17 Old 09-07-2011, 04:55 AM

Here are some of the businesses I have frequented: Magic Cabin, Hearth Song (old child version of Magic Cabin), Rosie Hippo, A Toy Garden, and Three Sisters Toys.  Another option that has lots of handmade and sometimes it is Waldorf, is Etsy.  I have seen some great felted food and dolls, but have not actually bought them.  They have a section dedicated to children and I have seen clothes, carriers.

#9 of 17 Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

I love Etsy for me, I don't know why I didn't think of looking for things on there! Thanks for the great suggestion.

Does anyone know what happened to three sisters toys? I remember seeing it a while back, but it doesn't seem to be loading. Is it just me?

Thanks for the suggestions!

#10 of 17 Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 AM

We Love:

A Toy Garden

Meadow Sweet Naturals

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#11 of 17 Old 09-07-2011, 06:26 PM

The customer service at Bella Luna is amazing, as is Toy Garden. Nova Natural has great stuff, but if you are in a hurry order elsewhere. On their order form they ask you when you need it by, I chose a date 4 weeks away, it showed up 8. A month after my dd birthday,  :(

But you cant beat Etsy for beautiful handcrafts and for supporting a WAHM :)

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

#12 of 17 Old 09-08-2011, 04:41 AM

I've gotten things very quickly from Nova Natural Toys.  I ordered a hammock on a Friday and it came the following Monday.   I agree that A Toy Garden has great customer service. :-)

#13 of 17 Old 09-08-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperently View Post

I've gotten things very quickly from Nova Natural Toys.  I ordered a hammock on a Friday and it came the following Monday.   I agree that A Toy Garden has great customer service. :-)

They apparently hate me LOL. J/K  Their stuff is too beautiful to stay away so I am going to give them another try. 

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

#14 of 17 Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We like many of the places already listed for both natural and Waldorf toys.

If you also are interested in more general natural toys (not just Waldorf)  the following stores have good prices and selections.  They also are pretty clear on Country of Origin, if you care. (I avoid products made in China for children. Too many recalls, poor qualtiy supply chain, labor abusess). They also have a good organization for various toddler "skills."  www.oompa.com www.moolka.com www.maukilo.com

#15 of 17 Old 09-12-2011, 12:06 PM

I have ordered from Oompa two times and was pleased.  They also offer points for product reviews that you can use for discounts.

#16 of 17 Old 09-23-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Kristen @ Earthschool has a store, I think its cedar ring.

FYI... Kristie at Earthschooling asked me to create supply packages that complement her curriculum... these are available to the general public.. but other than that, we are not affiliated.  Cedar Ring Circle is a big old happy Waldorf Supply Co-op with 80 families... and eventually I will have a full fledged store, when my children are a little older and I have the time and funds to go through the process of making prototypes of wooden toys with neighboring Amish woodworkers ;) 

copperfox likes this.
#17 of 17 Old 09-24-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the sources! I've bookmarked so many pages. This has been really helpful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page