grain mill - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Spam me with your grain mill suggestions! I want to get one as a family gift for the holidays. Thanks!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-24-2011, 05:14 AM

I have a very old Magic Mill in wood housing with stone grinders that I got on Ebay, no longer made, and I love it.  But if I had to go with something available on the market now, I would definitely save up and get a good one that is easy to clean, not too noisy, and not full of plastic... this would be my dream one:

http://www.harvestessentials.com/wogrmi.html?gclid=CLvqj6vftasCFUmK5god1j4qcA

But it is very expensive.  I've seen it in action at a trade show- doesn't take up much space, so easy to use, clean, quiet, and beautiful too!

I also got the hand-cranked Farina one from Nova Natural...ended up selling it to a friend because I didn't have the patience to stand there that long, I bake a lot ;) It took something like five minutes per cup of flour.

Also... nice to get one that has a hand or electric option (My Magic Mill does).  Then your kiddos can help you grind for fun. 

Good luck!  Nothing like fresh flour. Plus you can buy bulk 25 pound bags of whole berries and make your bread for a fraction of the cost!

#3 of 6 Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 AM

We have a Family Grain mill, which I think is also called a Jupiter.  I'm not crazy about the plastic but I got it for the following reasons -

#1 It came with both a hand crank set-up and a motor.  I love the idea of mostly using the hand crank but I thought that realistically there would be times when I needed to get it done faster so getting both is awesome.

#2 It comes in components, so I was able to get a flour grinder and a flaker. I really love oatmeal so I think I use the flaker more than the flour grinder!  Eventually I'd like to get the meat grinder too.

There are other systems you can get with the above features I think but nothing in this price range.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#4 of 6 Old 09-24-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irismum View Post

this would be my dream one:

http://www.harvestessentials.com/wogrmi.html?gclid=CLvqj6vftasCFUmK5god1j4qcA

But it is very expensive.  I've seen it in action at a trade show- doesn't take up much space, so easy to use, clean, quiet, and beautiful too!

My mom just got this one and I was able to use it while visiting her house.  Very expensive, but so so beautiful.  It also is so much easier to use than my big plastic nutrimill and the clean up is practically nothing.  I would bake so much more with a mill like this...but it's a pipe dream....way to expensive.

That said, my nutrimill is big and plastic but it does a great job grinding large amounts of grain at a time and I'm happy with the results (if not the clean-up).  It's also very loud.

#5 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 AM

Ours is from lehman's. Can't recall the model/name but they have lots to choose from, including economical ones. These days we go thru so much (home-sprouted) flour, we just use the flour canister on the vita-mix. It even whips out Teff flour!

I looked at the harvest essentials link. Omgoddess! That's a beaut! But, yeah, $600...whew.

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#6 of 6 Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 AM

I'm looking for a food mill too... I like the one from Harvest Essentials, but I definitely want one with the hand grind option.  I remember seeing somewhere that you can rig up some hand cranks to a bike... I can imagine that being a big hit with the kiddos!  Anybody know of a no-plastic mill with a hand crank? 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page