Practical and/or handmade gift ideas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-03-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone!  I know this is [very] early but I'm trying to start planning out gift ideas for Christmas, and for my girls birthdays which are the same week as Christmas.  I'm hoping to make whatever they get for the most part, so I know it will take a bit of time. 

The girls will be 2 and 4 in December.  Right now they have just about everything they need as far as toys go.  My DD2 will be getting her first doll for her birthday, and maybe a book.  My DD1 will likely get books and a doll outfit, but we'll see.

For Christmas, I'm looking for ideas that are simple and practical (things they will "use" as opposed to play with), as well as things I can make.  Some more art supplies are on that list for sure.  Other than that, I'm drawing a blank.  Any ideas? 

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#2 of 5 Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 AM

• Crayon Rolls (do they already have beeswax block crayons? If not you can buy a set to go in the rolls - they last forever!)
  • Art Totes (Dc's hold some crayons and 8 1/2" x 11 paper for trips, possible a book or two. Shaped more like a 'book bag.' They each have their initial appliqued on them
  • Doll blanket (you coud sew or knit) and pillow
  • You could make dolls 
  • Do they string beads or anything like they? You could 'make' or assemble a gift of things to string...wooden beads, felted balls (if your little one is beyond the putting things in her mouth stage, of course)
  • Kitchen Play things (I had lots of fun 'assembling' things for the kids' kitchen from random kitchen items that just happened to be scaled well. For example they have some wooden bowls I bought at ross. They're also good for 'collecting' other things to play with. You can make things, or collect pine cones, peach pits, etc. You could add some wooden play food.
  • Play silks (www.dharmatrading.com has blanks) - these are also good to use as the 'wrapping.'
  • Add some ribbon and they are a cape (with a 2 yo you might want to add elastic to avoid anyone getting hurt) Or make a play cape out of other things
  • Wooden Unit Blocks (if you have a carpenter in the family, they could be made) are useful for open-ended play
  • For your older Dd you could make a play mat, either sewn felt, or needlefelted or both, with small figures for imaginative play. (check around on etsy to see what I mean)
  • You could make some decor for their room, like mobiles with little needlefelted fairies, or angels, or sewn figures, or leaves; or wall-hangings...

Ahh...I miss those "gifting" ages.  : )

#3 of 5 Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the wonderful ideas!  Here are some ideas I have now:

-More crayons (between the two of them, one set is not cutting it, and DD1 is ready to move onto sticks and colored pencils as well)

-Doll pillow and blanket for each
-Pillow for DD2, I found and adorable small pillowcase at the thrift store.
-A basket of pine cones.  We have a lot already, most on the nature table or in various "displays" around the house, some in her play kitchen.. but I'd like to go out and get a bunch just for play.  Wrap it up in a pretty silk or something :)

-DD1 has mentioned that she'd like purses/shopping bags for her dollhouse dolls, as well as her doll.  I think I'll knit (or try my hand at crochetting) those.
-Clothes for their dolls with fabric and upcycled items.. we have a lot of doll clothes that have been thrifted off of 90 cent dolls... but they don't fit her doll really well.

-DD1 would love "room decor", so that is a must on my list!  I think I could make her a mobile and some curtains from fabric I have around the house (she has dingy looking blinds in her room).

I think getting them some more play food, or knitting it, would be a good idea as well.  I took a sort of inventory (hah, just looked through everything) when we moved recently and most of her play food has disappeared!

I have so many ideas for my DD1, yet few for DD2.  Would it be really strange (or a disaster waiting to happen) to just make all age appropriate items marked for both of them? 

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#4 of 5 Old 10-05-2011, 12:24 PM

I really love giving things that are needed, like a pair of handknit woolen socks, a scarf or soft flannel pj's. This year my girls are getting a Kleen Kanteen too. (They're 1 and 2,5yo). 

#5 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on our contest for handmade gifts. You'll find it here: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1369582/the-annual-mothering-handmade-gifts-ideas-photo-contest/0_100

We've had some great entries in the past so we're hoping to see even more this year. thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page