what do older children play with? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi, I just wanted to get a feel from people what sorts of things children (boys in particular) play with when they lose interest in all the nice wooden things like blocks, train tracks, vehicles, dolls houses, etc. My son has just turned 6 and though I've found all the early childhood information really useful I'm wondering what happens next.

What sorts of things do you find useful to have around for them and how does their play change? What sorts of toys are nice (from a Waldorf perspective). I'm assuming there'll be continued interest in these things for a little while longer but feel there is a need for more/something else soon.

I'm thinking both indoor and outdoor play, mainly indoor I guess.

Thanks in advance for your ideas/thoughts/experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS is 8 (almost 9) and still loves building. He's moved on from trains and such, but adores his Kapla. We also got him more complex blocks like these

He really likes working with his hands, so we got him a set of tools to carve wood and stone with. He's big into crafty projects, so we get him wool to make felt, yarn to knit with, etc.

Science kits are also a big hit.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 AM

My boys are 16,12, and almost 5 (and maybe another boy in the belly?).  

When the play starts to shift away from the dollhouse and the gnomes and fairies - my boys turn to outside/wilderness activities, crafts, and real tools.

So some ideas from our house are bow and arrow set, animal care (ducks, chickens, rabbit), fort building, knitting, weaving, animal hunting and observing, skull collecting, collections (cards, rocks, etc.), kites, knife carving. 

We went to a Christmas fair at our local Waldorf school and they had a full game room set up and it was filled with boys (and some girls) - darts, ping pong, etc.  My boys love our ping pong/ice hockey table in the basement.

I would love to hear what other boys are having fun with!

Best,

Kim

Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM

I was 10 years older and raised by a different parent, but I remember my younger brother having an intense fascination in how things work and building (from blocks to outside forts to elaborate sand castles) and using tools of any sort (wood tools, metal working, astronomy etc). I also remember him going through a huge knight phase. Like wooden shield and sword, castles, reading everything he could get his hands on about knights, etc.

I think every kid varies in what they like at all ages. My little guy is only 2 and has pretty much no interest in his beautiful waldorf doll that his grandma made him or his play silks (except for the one time he used them to signal to "Tootle" his train). Same for fairies and dollhouses. However, he is totally obsessed with his unit blocks, wooden train set and various vintage Tonka trucks.

User Tag List