What Waldorfy thingss are you giving your kids for Christmas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-05-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm so excited about all this stuff!  I made my girls some more dresses for their Waldorf dolls I made them last year, and some finger puppets of people out of the Felcraft book, I'm planning on making some felt food (maybe peanut butter sandwiches, bowtie pasta and sauce), I might buy a few Lyra Ferbie pencils to try out.  I was going to make some Ostheimer type wooden animals and trees but the scroll saw I bought doesn't work, have to return that and see if the next one works....

I'd like to make a small, take-apart log treehouse, but not sure.....

What are you making or getting?? I'm looking for more ideas!

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#2 of 17 Old 11-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wow those sound great!

#3 of 17 Old 11-06-2011, 04:52 AM

I'm going to be getting DD a puppet theater -- probably a wooden tabletop one because it seems more sensible..and a bunch of puppets! She's recently started to get really into story telling so I think she'll enjoy this, and it's something DD can share with her brother once he's not such a menace : )  That's going to be her bigger gift..she'll get some craft supplies (nature stamps, beeswax crayons, paints..) in a little "craft box" I make every year (my favorite part!) and her stocking will have maybe some little felted treats. I have to try not to go overboard with her...

DS is going to get some puzzles and probably some more blocks or something. He's little : ) 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#4 of 17 Old 11-06-2011, 04:39 PM

This year the kids are getting a this wooden treehouse as their shared gift:

http://www.maplerose.ca/treeblocks_tree_house_p/dg-df-treehouse.htm

I'm also painting 3 year old dd some little wooden figures in the colours of the rainbow, sewing all the kids new pj pants (not waldorf but still homemade smile.gif), knitting them each a wool cowl for their stockings, probably add some more lyra pencils and beeswax crayons to their art supplies and dye some new playsilks.  Not sure what else.  Money is tight this year and it took me ages to save for the treehouse so everything else will be little and/or homemade.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#5 of 17 Old 11-07-2011, 06:39 AM

I'm making my sons' dress-up stuff  -  they will each get a pirate costume and a viking costume complete with hats, and in their stockings they will get accessories like maps, treasure, swords/daggers.  I'm going to make everything except the swords, which dh will do, and there are a couple things I might actually buy.  I like the spy glass and drinking horn from Palumba and they are the only things I don't think I can replicate. Oh, and I'll probably get them some of those booklets of fake tatoos, some pirate-y ones and some tribal/celtic ones to stand in for runes. I am really excited about it!  I am using old clothes to make them and found almost everything I need at the thrift store this weekend.  I got some sweatshirts with faux fur lining that I will turn inside out and cut off the sleeves for the viking tunics, and some striped sailor shirts for the pirates.  It was 50% off and they already are pretty cheap so I got everything for under $10!

They will also their usual books.  My father is making them a new little table and set of chairs because our current set is almost unuseable and un-repairable.  It's a little sad because they were mine as a child but they're been well loved.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#6 of 17 Old 11-08-2011, 05:24 PM

Making matching sweater pants jammies for DS and DD for Solstice. And we always make a new set of shadow puppets for Solstice as well (http://zachaboard.blogspot.com/2010/12/in-shadows.html) And for our Solstice cocoa I am going to make a batch of homemade marshmallows and get the kids special cocoa spoons (http://www.etsy.com/shop/OliveSpoonStudio)

For Christmas I am making some blocks for DD (using blanks from Casey Wood http://www.caseyswood.com/shoppingcart/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12&zenid=26sq8594ceeser8iigq69c0ls7 and decoupaging with vintage story book illustrations) And I got her a doll from here that I am thrilled with http://www.etsy.com/shop/nmdoula

For DS along with books and creating a little addition to his room, I am going to make him a bag to carry his horseback riding gear and also get him wooden horse figures from here where we get a few animals each year. I like his work a lot more than Ostheimer or Holztiger and I like supporting a small family business. http://www.jalutoys.com/inside.htm

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#7 of 17 Old 11-10-2011, 03:58 PM

Thank you so much for the Jalu Wood Creations rec.  They are way too expensive for us, but good to know if any family member ask what our son would like :) 

My husband and I are going to make everything this year.  I am going to make a fishing set for both my son (6) and daughter (2).  I saw this project in a waldorf toy making book at the library. Each fishing pole will just be a stick from the garden or forest with string for the line, and a donut magnet tied to the end.  The fish will be felt, about 3" to 4" each, handstitched with embroidery thread and emb thread for the gills.  If I can find my sequins I will use those for the eyes.  I am going to make a shark to go in each set as well, probably a goblin shark or something.  I don't know if that's "waldorf" but I'm doing it.  I'll probably make 5 fishies for each set, and add a small washer to the mouths for the magnet to attach.  I am going to ask my neighbors and friends for old wool sweaters to use for the fabric and I'm going to use alpaca wool for the stuffing that I bought online a year ago.  I thought it was a lot to spend ($30) but the 3 gallon ziplock bags turned out to be a lot of wool.

My husband is making the frame for a kinder lyre since we are not going to spend $200 on one.  He is using a piece of oak ($5).  We are going to take the frame to a local music store and have the strings put on.  Hopefully it works out :)

I'd really like to make my daughter a waldorf doll with long red-orange hair...we'll see how that goes.

I'm going to carve some small wood figures and also make some from cloth & wool felting.  We just hand-dyed some of our alpaca wool and I'm excited to get a felting needle.  I'm going to make some toadstools and gnomes.  I think.  Who knows where the creative process will take me.

And a play frame, which is basically 3 frames of wood 3'x3' double hinged together.  Play cloths can be draped over for fort play. 

#8 of 17 Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 AM

This year we'll be wrapping gifts with new playsilks. For AE I'll be getting her books, making a felt stockman block crayon holder, some more ostheimer figures , wooden stroller for her doll and a mini blackboard.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#9 of 17 Old 11-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I've just started trying to get our lists together.  DS is easy.  He's 2.5 and just started Waldorf pre-school this year and is really playing very well. Plus, with my husband's brilliant idea of telling the kids that the TV is broken (we just hadn't been effective in taking it out of their world completely otherwise), his play has really expanded.  He'll be getting a knight set from Bella Luna Toys (hat and shield), although he's a bit small for the breast shield, so, maybe a silk one from Rosie Hippo, I think.  And definitely a silk sword; he is so not ready for a wooden one.  He's hit his poor sister with everything from a stick from outside, to the walking stick and stick on his hobby horse . . . and let's not forget the wooden eggs he's thrown at her. 

As for stocking stuffers/shared gifts, I'm thinking I'll knit up some waffles and a coffe cups (two of my kids' favorites!) to add to their kitchen.  On the crafting front, they love the Lyra face crayons, so, I just came across the pastel/gold/silver set to add to the primary set they have and some eco-finger paints since they're out of finger paints.  I'm also thinking about making them a harness for their "horse play".

As for my daughter, she has just turned 6 and declared this weekend that Santa could bring her whatever he wanted.  So, don't know her preference yet. She does knit, so, I was thinking some nice yarn.  I'm considering a loom, too.  For her stocking stuffers, I'm considering a book of string games, a wooden yo-yo and possibly a wooden people craft set.  Oh, and a drop spindle! One of her classmates is spinning that way and she has expresses a small interest. Another gift for her will be a trip to see the Joffrey Ballet's Nutcracker.  Wanted to go last year, but didn't get it together in time.  I'm committed to making it happen this year!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#10 of 17 Old 11-14-2011, 04:53 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageR View Post

I'm making my sons' dress-up stuff  -  they will each get a pirate costume and a viking costume complete with hats, and in their stockings they will get accessories like maps, treasure, swords/daggers.  I'm going to make everything except the swords, which dh will do, and there are a couple things I might actually buy.  I like the spy glass and drinking horn from Palumba and they are the only things I don't think I can replicate. Oh, and I'll probably get them some of those booklets of fake tatoos, some pirate-y ones and some tribal/celtic ones to stand in for runes. I am really excited about it!  I am using old clothes to make them and found almost everything I need at the thrift store this weekend.  I got some sweatshirts with faux fur lining that I will turn inside out and cut off the sleeves for the viking tunics, and some striped sailor shirts for the pirates.  It was 50% off and they already are pretty cheap so I got everything for under $10!

They will also their usual books.  My father is making them a new little table and set of chairs because our current set is almost unuseable and un-repairable.  It's a little sad because they were mine as a child but they're been well loved.

I just have to add that my son's absolute favorite thing in the world is the pirate hook from Palumba. Really nicely made, if you don't get to making one yourself.

#11 of 17 Old 11-14-2011, 04:54 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Where did you find gold/silver Lyra face pencils. Those sound wonderful!

#12 of 17 Old 11-15-2011, 10:28 AM

Rosie Hippo: http://www.rosiehippo.com/p-674-face-paint-pencils-pastels-gold-silver.aspx

Sadly, they are currently out of stock.  Wished I'd checked that yesterday!  They do have a mechanism for sending you an email when they are back in stock.  I signed up for that.  I will also check my local toy store, Gepetto's Toy Box in Oak Park, IL.

Good luck finding them!

#13 of 17 Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 PM

This year dh and I are only giving our girls one or two handmade (by me) items for Christmas.  I am making the older girls red riding hood capes from the oliver + s book "Little Things to Sew" and I am knitting each one of them a sweater, that's it.  I am being really lazy in the knitting dept, I need to pick up the pace, or it will only be the capes!  Not sure yet what we are getting dfd, but same deal, just one or two things.  They always get nice stuff from our families, so that + not wanting to spend money are the main reasons we are personally giving them so little.  Their uncle asked what they wanted & I suggested a little friend doll for dd2 and a Bruder fire truck for dd1.  Their other uncle is getting told money for a science center membership, their great-grandmothers give them money, I am telling my aunt the wooden mosaic magnet puzzle thingie from A Toy Garden, and their grandpap is getting told an Ostheimer figure for each.  Those are all the people who have asked so far.  My mother gets them something big at Christmas, haven't decided what it should be this year.

Stocking stuffers here have always been one stuffed animal to peek out the top, a new toothbrush & toothpaste, and a few Christmas chocolates.  I, too, am thinking of getting more playsilks to use as giftwrap.  The reality is that they just do not need anything!  They are already quite creative and I'm not hot to bring more stuff into the house.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#14 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 07:54 AM

Art of learning has them it looks like!

https://www.art-of-learning.com/proddetail.php?prod=70030Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post

Rosie Hippo: http://www.rosiehippo.com/p-674-face-paint-pencils-pastels-gold-silver.aspx

Sadly, they are currently out of stock.  Wished I'd checked that yesterday!  They do have a mechanism for sending you an email when they are back in stock.  I signed up for that.  I will also check my local toy store, Gepetto's Toy Box in Oak Park, IL.

Good luck finding them!

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

#15 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM

And on sale!  Can't beat that; thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKelly View Post

Art of learning has them it looks like!

#16 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

I'm not really getting my kids anything Waldorf-y (dd10 is getting a Kindle, dd4 is getting a scooter) but I have started making, like, a bajillion paper star lanterns and the girls are loving them.  My plan is to make enough for each of our Christmas guests to take one from our house to my Mom's house for Christmas dinner, and then to take home after Christmas to light their way through the dark winter, and we will put the girls' favorites on their bedroom windowsills for them to keep.  

http://hvhomeschoolannex.blogspot.com/

#17 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 PM

i bought each a beautiful paper advent calendar ..and i ordered a new wooden animal each for my children. they are holtziger ones..so sweet! i also bought each a few new books (elsa beskow, eva maria ott-heidman. ect..). im sewing each a small quilt as well and hopefully some other things (bean bags for the baby, a dress for older girls, and not sure what yet for my 9yo son) i will be  knitting each a new pair of mittens ( im halfway done) and wooly socks. they have grown since last year! Other than that, i'm not sure. we will attend the local waldorf school christmas fair this weekend and i will likely find some fun treasures!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page