Candlemas is coming... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-23-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you celebrate?

I found this old thread with some lovely ideas for stories, but wanted to see if anyone had some new additions or other ideas?

One year we made candles in the method of rolling the beeswax sheets around a candle wick and using tiny 'cookie cutters' we punched out shapes from other pieces or smooth wax sheets.  I was curious how else people do it at home? We have done candle-dipping at faires or the children in their classes, but it seems like a lot of work and expense for home.

I like this idea to make lemon candles, but it involves buying beeswax so I'm not sure if I will or not this year.

A little history and some verses.

I also found this with some lovely suggestions.

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM

We celebrate by making dipped and poured beeswax candles that we use on our Candlemas table, on the dinner table for much of the year, in our birthday ring on birthdays and as birthday cake candles.  I really love making dipped beeswax candles and I try to do much of it at Candlemas.  I also melt down our purple candles from advent to make a poured candle for our Lenten dinner table.  Sometimes ds and I also make one rolled beeswax candle together.

On the day of we always have pancakes and sausage for dinner.  We also make our own butter that we eat on the pancakes.  We put candles in all of the holes on our birthday ring and place another candle in the middle and light all of these.

DS and I also try to start some seeds that day and I tell an abbreviated version of Hans Christian Anderson's The Snowdrop (this year I'm also making some props to tell this story to the kids in our playgroup for the month of February).  I

In the past I've also made Brigid crosses out of wheat straw which we continue to hang on our nature table tree.

I should have some posts on my blog about our past celebrations.

#3 of 5 Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 PM

waldorfmama has some nice posts on her blog :)

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#4 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 AM

the girls and i made all the candles for the upcoming birth of their lil sibling.  they were fun to make!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#5 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post

the girls and i made all the candles for the upcoming birth of their lil sibling.  they were fun to make!

love.gif lovely!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Tags
Waldorf

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page