good story book for 2 - 5 year olds - Mothering Forums
Waldorf > good story book for 2 - 5 year olds
moon mountain mama's Avatar moon mountain mama 07:06 AM 02-15-2012

I am looking for a book or essential books of stories for 2 -5 year olds, preschool.  We already have Hans Christen Andersen fairy tales, Grimm's fairy tales and swedish fairytales which is for a little bit older children.  We do not have much money so I am looking for 1 or 2 good books with a lot of stories so I don't have to buy a bunch of books.  Or you view on essential story books for this age.

Thank You

Melaniee's Avatar Melaniee 12:28 AM 02-16-2012

My Dd is 6, but I think the "Tiptoes Lightly" books would have been great starting at age 4 or 5:

http://www.amazon.com/Reg-Down/e/B005TW6PNA/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1329376890&sr=8-1

My Dd has also been enjoying Wind in the Willows since about age 4, but it depends upon the child, of course. The Reg Down books and Wind in the Willows are "chapter books," which for her was a big plus b/c she felt older like her big brother. ;) I think at those ages he might not have been so interested in stories that continued between chapters (and days between readings).  Wind in the Willows can last a very long time...

As for 'essential books' or stories for these ages, I love the ones by Elsa Beskow or Daniela Drescher (amazing illustrations), but they are just one story per book. My Dd still likes them, too, but they are good starting younger, IMHO, than the ones with chapters.

Do you have a local library? I've found ours even have their catalogs online and you can reserve some things from home.

aHikaru's Avatar aHikaru 06:52 PM 02-16-2012

waldorf doesn't really introduce reading until 6 or 7, but personally my DD loves looking at books and knows how to read 3-5 words, so thats something we do at home that is not exactly waldorf. She'll be 3 next week and loves all the Elsa Beskow books, I always make up stories to go along with the pictures, but she'll sometimes point out a word and have me read it. As far as many stories, I would get a children's poetry book from the book store :)

Midwesterner04's Avatar Midwesterner04 08:27 PM 02-16-2012

Subbing

Melaniee's Avatar Melaniee 02:58 AM 02-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandraz View Post

waldorf doesn't really introduce reading until 6 or 7, but personally my DD loves looking at books and knows how to read 3-5 words, so thats something we do at home that is not exactly waldorf. She'll be 3 next week and loves all the Elsa Beskow books, I always make up stories to go along with the pictures, but she'll sometimes point out a word and have me read it. As far as many stories, I would get a children's poetry book from the book store :)

Oh yes, I should be clear, my daughter isn't reading these herself, we read them to her.

I know what is really recommended is story-telling, but I have yet to have a child in an early childhood class where books weren't being read to them at one point or another. And though I sometimes tell a story at bedtime, they don't get the rich story-telling with figures and such at home. I am too lazy...so we read books. ;)

numericmama's Avatar numericmama 11:42 PM 03-07-2012

Essentials -  This is really hard - because what are essentials. I usually buy for the oldest but I really appreciate these:

http://steinerbooks.org/detail.html?session=2f7dd8087e450270aae28bd8a4e1759c&id=9780863151927

She has one for each season. The pictures are wonderful, showing traditional seasonal activities and they don't have words. So the kids make up stories to the pictures. So sweet! And they look nice on the nature table. You can use them as a way to show the start of a new season when you set up the next table. 

We really are glad to have

A Lot Of Otters

Thunderbunny 

and

Grandfather Twilight by

Barbara Helen Berger

The art is really amazing. Thunderbunny is archetypal for the Kindergarten aged child. I think you can get these at the library though. Even some Elsa Beskow books can be found at the library.

We have also read Mr. Putter and Tabby and Henry and Mudge books to my boys. They are early readers, but so sweet. Frog and Toad and the Little Bear series. Others by the Little Bear people. I get these from the library. 

I try to get as much as I can for free online, then the library. Then purchases.

The Baldwin Project has an amazing list of free resources. 

I wish I knew if you had boys or girls, it makes a difference on the Elsa books. My boys really appreciate Children of the forest - especially since the dad puts on pinecone armor to protect the family from the dangerous snake. And Woody, Hazel and Little Pip has a lot of that boy energy for getting into trouble as well. It's nice for them to see that reflected.

Best,

numericmama's Avatar numericmama 11:44 PM 03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaniee View Post

My Dd is 6, but I think the "Tiptoes Lightly" books would have been great starting at age 4 or 5:

http://www.amazon.com/Reg-Down/e/B005TW6PNA/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1329376890&sr=8-1

Thank you for reminding me of Tiptoes Lightly. I have those books and I almost forgot to read them to the younger child. Everything is so focused on the older one, he gets forgotten. First finish Pooh, then it's the older child's turn, then Tiptoes!

Melaniee's Avatar Melaniee 12:29 AM 03-08-2012

We just started Winnie the Pooh, too! Dd is really enjoying it. After Tiptoes books, though, man those chapters are long for a tired mama! ;)  I can usually do a handful of Tiptoes' chapters before my eyes get heavy.

aprons_and_acorns's Avatar aprons_and_acorns 08:35 AM 03-08-2012

Hi there!  There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread already but I thought I would add a favorite from our house.

Tomie DePaola's Favorite Nursery Tales

It's a sweet collection of fairy tales, folktales and poetry with a couple of selections from Aesop as well.  

It does include one Grimm's, one HC Andersen, and one Swedish story so you may find it to be too much repeat of what you already have. Though it might be worth a check-out from the library.

Tags: Waldorf
Up