To Waldorf or not? this is the question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dear Waldorf moms,

Please share your ideas.

I have been going to a parent-child class with my DD since Sept to our local Waldorf school. I truly love it there, I am truly enchanted by the atmoshere and the lovely teachers.

Just recently another mom from our class told me she is leaving the school because the family believes that Anthroposophy will be directly or indirectly taught to the children and that they are a cult??

I did my research and I tried to be as objective as possible, some things in Steiner's philosophy freak me out, I totally disagree with them and I would never want my little one to learn these things until she is a lot lot older...but on the other hand I love the school and it is a nurturing and warm environment btw I have implemented some ideas from Waldorf books like Seven Times the Sun and Beyond the Rainbow Bridge and our family life has impreoved a lot...

Now my DH doesn't want to take our DD there and he is thinking of a Montessori...I mean I am sure Montessori will be better than a "conventional" school but my heart says Waldorf and my mind says Montessori...

What do you guys think? I know it has been discussed numerous times but I find making the right decision for my DD's education really tough right now and could use some insight.

Thank you mommas :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 PM

I actually went to a Waldorf Highschool when I was younger.  I gathered quite a bit of wonderful (and look----life lasting!) lessons from some amazing teachers there.  It's hard to say if the education was something that has helped shape me who I am today (hey I'm a Waldorf doll maker homeschool my four boys in a Waldorf inspired way!) or if it was having hippie parents and/or community? There were many pleasent memories there at that school I went to.

That being said there were also many many things that I look back upon and wonder "what were they thinking?".  An example would be at my school (City of Lakes Waldorf School located in Minneapolis, MN--- now no longer in business) was that we had no "real" or "normal" history classes.  Instead of learning about all the traditional history lessons we learned about greek mythology.  which is a great thing to learn except that's all we studied.  Intead of leaning about things in astronomy, we learned all things astrology.  Just differences like that made me homeschool the children I have instead of sending them to a tradionial Waldorf school. 

Early childhood could be different as I did not attend while little, but perhaps you could look into homeschooling, or even Montessori and keep a Waldorf inspired home?

There are also many great Waldorf charter schools out there, they are not a traditional Waldorf school and may not include all the wonders of a Waldorf school.

I hth!  You can pm me if you have any more questions!

Samantha

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#3 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 AM

I have been there and the bottom line is:

-it depends on the school and more often then not anthroposophy will always be linked with ruldolf steiners philosophy and teachings because it is the core that lead him to discover waldorf education.

For me, I learned to embrace it with an open mind and have found that the Waldorf schools that I like have a nice balance of both.

I hope you and your family find what you are looking for smile.gif

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#4 of 6 Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You know, I had tons of questions at first and it took me several years and visits to the school before I knew it would be a good fit for DD. Of course I don't completely agree with every aspect of Anthroposophy 100%, but I look at it like this.... Every school (unless strictly based on a religion such as a Catholic school etc) has teachers from a variety of backgrounds and diverse beliefs and cultures. I'm not going to always know what those are, but some of those beliefs are going to work their way into how the teacher teaches or deals with the children. Even as an early childhood educator myself, what I do in the classroom isn't necessarily what I would do for my own child. Am I making sense?

Go with your gut! It's almost always right, especially when it comes to your children!! thumb.gif

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

#5 of 6 Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WednesdayO View Post

You know, I had tons of questions at first and it took me several years and visits to the school before I knew it would be a good fit for DD. Of course I don't completely agree with every aspect of Anthroposophy 100%, but I look at it like this.... Every school (unless strictly based on a religion such as a Catholic school etc) has teachers from a variety of backgrounds and diverse beliefs and cultures. I'm not going to always know what those are, but some of those beliefs are going to work their way into how the teacher teaches or deals with the children. Even as an early childhood educator myself, what I do in the classroom isn't necessarily what I would do for my own child. Am I making sense?

Go with your gut! It's almost always right, especially when it comes to your children!! thumb.gif

You're making perfect sense and that's how we view it as well.

#6 of 6 Old 03-15-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for answering :) I really value your feedback and it helped me think on the pros and cons...

Well we thought about it and we decided on Waldorf... anthroposophy or not it's close to what I want for my DD and I really like the school. i want her to enjoy her childhood.

I will go with an open mind as all of you suggested and hope for the best!!

Thank you lovely waldorf mommas :):)

Blessings to all

Tags
Waldorf

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page