Is unbaked bread dough dangerous - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone - now this is probably a lighter post than I usually see on here, but I thought that if anyone was going to be able to help me then it would be a bunch of Waldorf mommas.

I'm at home with my 20 month girl and I bake all our bread.  Now, I usually do the kneading etc while she's either napping or heavily engaged in something else.  But recently I thought that I'd like to start to do it together in the way that we do most other things.  Also, I think she's at an age where the feel of the dough might be quite interesting.  So, twice now we've started to bake and it has gone really well - I've got this big bowl and we're in there mixing the stuff up, feeling all the grains, having a great time.  And then I give her a piece of dough (quite a chunk) and I begin to knead.  And she, well, she eats it.

I say let's not, I show her how it stretches, I put more flour on her spot, I repeat all these and get more and more insistent.  And she just keeps tearing bits off and eating them and it's like it's not even defiance she just doesn't get what I'm saying.  I think she quite likes the taste! urgggh!  Also, she knows we are making bread and she points to it and says "bread" and so I think she thinks she must be able to eat, even though I'm going kinda loopy at how much dough she's eating, until in the end I put her down from the counter and put her steps away and tell her to go do something else (as I now have quite a lot of dough waiting to be kneaded). 

Soooo, how do I move forward?  Do I stop trying to involve her in baking for a while and come back to it later?  Do I just repeat the above and acknowledge that I might have to call time on her involvement if she won't stop eating the dough?  Do I let her eat the dough and not saying anything (if so, how much is ok??)?

Help me out here!

R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 AM

Ds (4.75 years old) always eats bread dough when we bake.  My 30 year old housemates always eat bread dough when they bake.  I don't see why it would be a problem.  If your recipe has eggs in it, there is the salmonella "risk" but frankly I couldn't go on with life if I didn't get to eat raw cookie dough occasionally.  Worse thing that might happen is a bit of a stomach ache I would think.

#3 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 AM

my kids have always eaten bread dough! i see no problem with it at all. i've never thought twice about it. 

mom to jumpers.gif crazy boys
#4 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys - I feel a lot more relaxed about it now, happy baking!

#5 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM

Yep i agree too. Keep on trucking on :) sounds like she's enjoying it. Just as long as she's not eating so much you don't have any left over to actually bake bread ;)

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#6 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As long as there is no gluten sensitivity or anything like that, there is no danger. Let her eat it. And have fun cooking with her!
#7 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM

I ate raw bread dough as a child.  It really appealed to me.  It does still, on occasion, but I forbear out of some (misguided, no doubt) sense of adult decorum.

(I also ate raw red meat as a child, but I don't want to scare you off the the bread dough, which is probably much more harmless raw than the meat.)

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#8 of 8 Old 11-22-2013, 04:33 PM

You'd probably want to make sure the flour isn't bromated. Aside from that I allowed my 3 year old one bite too many of raw pre-fermented pizza dough and she was in considerable discomfort that night. She's been cut off, though she begs every time I bring a dough together...

Tags
Waldorf

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page