Wondering about Waldorf Inspired Public Charter Schools... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 of 36 Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKelly View Post

Are you talking about that claim for ONE Waldorf school? The teachers here have never been accused of cheating.

Do you need more claims?  I'd be happy to provide them.  I've got one handy about a Waldorf school in Brazil that admits in a letter to another Waldorf teacher not only to faking test scores but also to faking teacher credentials.  People in Waldorf apparently believe they have no requirement to be truthful about anything.  Hey, when you're on a spiritual mission, you do whatever you have to.

Quote:
My point was is that of course Waldorf kids would score lower on tests that are set up to test you strictly on what you have been taught to get the best grade on that test.

Then you should be advocating for a different test - not for cheating on the tests we have.

Quote:
Also you do realize that one could also pull hundreds if not thousands of people praising Waldorf and make a blog about that right? Just because you made a site copy and pasting quotes from other angry people doesn't make it 100% fact

I'm very clear about the fact that these are "critical" reviews (even though some aren't necessarily - some are 4-star reviews that seem honest).  Sure, lots of people praise Waldorf.  I spent YEARS praising Waldorf... but then... like so many of the reviewers, I discovered the dark underside of Waldorf.  I saw the harm it did to my own kids - none of which recommend it BTW.  More importantly, I realized, because I supported Waldorf wholeheartedly for so many years, that I had insights about Waldorf that other critics might not have.  As I spoke with others, and collected reviews from parents, it became apparent that this wasn't a single school with bad teachers... it was a systemic problem in Waldorf education.  They simply lie about anything and everything.

Parents have a right to know this.

#32 of 36 Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Amused in NE, I have removed your post from this discussion. Please post respectfully and without sarcastic comments or you will be removed from this thread.

#33 of 36 Old 08-25-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteK View Post

In case anyone is interested, the critical reviews for Desert Marigold are listed here.  Additionally, there's an article about vaccination rates at that particular school.

There are many honest parent reviews on the above link, but the one I have quoted below has some statistics that may be helpful to parents.  I have included the link to the original review.

Quote:

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/AZ/schools/0036602302/reviews.aspx

by a parent
Friday, June 04, 2010

"My Children have been attending DMS "desert marigold school" for 3 years, in that time my children have been in grades: kindergarten, first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, eighth, and ninth

PROS
more accepting of developmentally delayed children
emotionally supportive
lovely campus (this is the best and only thing significantly positive thing about DMS)

CONS
over 90% of the student body is intellectually or emotionally disabled (the healthy students leave)
no advanced classes (the good teachers usually leave within a year)
no average classes (there is literally a basket weaving class for high school)
poor teaching
special ed school
some verbal bullies

Here are two samples of their standardized test scores:
In 2009 the third grade had a 23 percent passing rate, sixth grade had a 36 percent passing rate; 60% to 80% of all students in these grades are failing to pass the bare minimum standards set by the state. These students are failing miserably.

Now compare these numbers with a school that has good teachers, I have found that teachers are the most critical factor, a great teacher with a bad administration still teaches well.

For 2009 every grade at Basis had a 97% or higher passing rate, you can't even begin to compare the top scores of desert marigold vs Basis, its like comparing monkeys with humans.

Some other considerations:
While visiting school in 2010 I found drug paraphernalia (a joint and papers) in the bathroom
My average ability child was the top student in his class
Teachers are supposed to teach the same students from first through eighth grade but it rarely happens

Do not do what I did and waste your children’s precious formative years with a school like DMS, try schools that have much higher quality teachers and students, here is a list of the top schools:
http://phoenix.about.com/library/blschoolscharter.htm

For example:
Villa Montessori - Phoenix Campus
Great Hearts
Tempe Prepatory Academy

If you have a child that is severely disabled: autism, chemical abuse, aspergers, and functioning at 2 or more grades below level, then DMS may be a great fit, but if you have an average or above average child, you will be harming them by sending them to desert marigold school."
#34 of 36 Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Why am I waisting my time reading this! PeteK, you are waisting our time. Your purposefully misunderstanding remarks are ridiculous. You are attacking every thread I have read. with passion! Even the block crayon thread. I find it highly amusing now that I have figured out who you are.

I have used mothering as a resource to find out everything about waldorf and find you here all the time. You are accusing waldorf education so viciously that it lead me to reserch more. And guess what I found you!! Ha!

From your earlier remarks seems like YOU have no idea what problems arise in public education in a poor area. To accuse a teacher that explains her schools bad reviews with this is beyond my understanding. This is not a waldorf problem at all. 

And while you accuse others of elitism, here is what a review from your own block says: "you can't even begin to compare the top scores of desert marigold vs Basis, its like comparing monkeys with humans." or "over 90% of the student body is intellectually or emotionally disabled (the healthy students leave)" (is that proved how? or is it just how she views the kids?)

Wow, that is a parent who I should listen.

#35 of 36 Old 08-27-2012, 05:25 AM

Nobody is expecting you to believe a single review.  But for people who like evidence, I collected a lot of them (quite a few for that particular school).  I don't hide the fact that I'm a whistle-blower.  I'm here to tell you that Waldorf does a bad job of educating kids and then lies about it with ridiculous graduation  percentage numbers that have no connection to reality.  They have been caught faking the test scores of children in order to look like they're educating children.  They lie through their teeth about what they're doing to other people's children - and we see this time and time again in the independent parent reviews.  The truth is a very different picture than Waldorf teachers paint... and it hurts sometimes, doesn't it? 

#36 of 36 Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Closed for review.

Closed Thread

Tags
Waldorf

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page