Hope for the non-Waldorf family - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What can I do to incorporate some Waldorf concepts into our home, even though the only option for DS (4.5yo) at this point is a mainstream, albeit warm and nurturing, preschool?

I feel really overwhelmed by all the reading I have to do in addition to working and parenting, so I hope that some of you have some great little tips for kids this age.  Specifically, I am curious how behavioral problems and discipline are handled in the Waldorf home or school.  I want to create a calm, soothing environment for an extremely reactive and kinetic boy, which is challenging when you work full time and he's either with a family-member or a day care provider (and now school).  It's not that I don't recognize how difficult this situation must be for someone like my son, it's just that I have no other choice right now, so I just need some advice and inspiration.

Has anyone else been able to bring a little more Waldorf into their rather mainstream life?

Humbly parenting Abraham (1/08), learning to be gentle and creative.  At least I got a good man to hold my hand.  Married to Ben (8/06). 

#2 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Subbing to this b/c I'd like to know, too!

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

#3 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Joyful Toddlers is a helpful website, written by a Lifeways educator.  I also enjoy the Parenting Passageway blog.  Let's see. . . here at our house, we:

Do a seasonal table, collecting bits of nature and bringing them inside to enjoy

Have a needle-felted sign to mark day and night

Try to minimize TV time to allow for free play

Welcome our children in house and yard work--cooking, cleaning, gardening

Stick to stories that are calm and simple

Avoid branded clothing and toys

Try to be home-centered

Observe breathing in and out periods (alternating active times with more internal times) over the day

I could suggest a number of books, but if your schedule is already full, these are a good place to start.  Simplicity Parenting has a blog (and the book, of course) that talks about creating a calm home and family life.  It's a great read.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#4 of 5 Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 PM

I think the best thing is to allow plenty of TV-free downtime at home. Let him have lots of time to just play and use his imagination. Also, allowing him to help out with things is good too. For example, I have a small broom and dust pan that I let my 2 year old use to clean the floor as well as a spray bottle of water and a cloth so she can clean our sliding door, etc. It usually makes a bigger mess, but she learns a lot from it and it really gives her a sense of pride and purpose while I am trying to get things done around the house. Having a rhythm is great too. Something he can count on each day. You could incorporate this with your meals (Monday is soup, Tuesday is Mexican, etc) or activities (Friday is family game or movie night, Saturday is grocery store day, etc).
As far as discipline, I would check out websites on gentle/positive discipline.
It is definitely possible to have a Waldorf-inspired home while living a mainstream life. I think you will find small changes like this very helpful for any behavior issues you are having with your son. If you ever have the chance to read any book for inspiration, I think Simplicity Parenting would be helpful to you. As the previous poster said, there is also a blog too.
#5 of 5 Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 AM

ITA, I would start with as little TV (and media-charactered "things") as possible, add to that as little of the typical recorded children's music, and as a PPer said add a rhythm to your days and your weeks. Top that off with more natural materials than not, and keeping things simple (less is more).

As for discipline, I see them spend time trying to figure out why the child is behaving that way, or what they are trying to say (in the event of the youngers) and address it or put words to it.

As for living ideas...

Sounds like you're maxed out in reading, but a few I like:

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Times-Sun-Guiding-Through/dp/0967571308

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Rainbow-Bridge-Nurturing-Children/dp/0964783231

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Year-Seasonal-Festivals-Hawthorn/dp/1903458595

Love this one, not so much waldorf as simple mothering (not as religious as it sounds ;)):

http://www.amazon.com/Mitten-Strings-God-Reflections-Mothers/dp/0446676934

This one seems geared towards those attending a school, but I enjoy it and it goes beyond just a 'what to expect' type of book:

http://www.amazon.com/Waldorf-Education-Pamela-J-Fenner/dp/0964783215/

Tags
Waldorf

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page