Mothering Forum banner

Activities/Toys for 2 year old boy?

Tags
waldorf
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SusannahR 
#1 ·
DS turned 2 in July and over the summer, we've spent all our time outdoors, going for walks, going to the zoo or playground or enjoyng the sandbox (he practically lives there) or slide outside. Now, with fall around the corner, I am feeling like we'll need some new age appropriate games/activities/toys for the long upcoming fall and winter. While we do make a point to get outside even in the cold weather and have invested in "good" outdoor wear for DS, I know we'll be spending more time indoors.

So, what do you all do with your toddlers?

I should also state we're Waldorf "inspired", as opposed to a strict Waldorf family. So, while we try to avoid plastic, we do have some plastic toys. And while I've purchased wood "undetailed" cars and trucks for DS, he prefers his toy vehicles that look like the actual thing and has some of those as well. We don't do screen time, we don't do toys with batteries, and we try to focus on toys and activities that spark imagination so I feel like this is the best place for advice!

I am looking at getting an easil as DS does like to draw and paint. I would also like to get some playsilks. We have a toy kitchen with a few pots and pans, but he's not much into that type of "pretend" play yet (so while he likes to sleep with his waldorf doll, he doesn't play house with it yet. But is that stage just around the corner??). We have blocks and puzzles, but he's a bit young to "do" the puzzles yet, other than the wood ones where you fit the object in the matching shaped/colored spot on the board. And that entertains him for all of 15 seconds because they don't challenge him anymore.

We also just sing, play and roughouse a lot.

Maybe he's right inbetween stages, but I just don't know what types of things he might like at this stage?

Please help, thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you may have hit on the things I was going to say

DS turned 2 at the end of June, and he loves loves loves his trains. We got him a train table + small set of trains for Christmas last year and my DH and I were hesitant to spend so much but it was worth every penny. He plays with them and is obsessed with them : ) Also little wooden cars or (gasp!) matchbox cars. Not Waldorf no but very much loved here.

Another thing he loves are sticker books. He doesn't have the skills to match and things but he does love to put stickers on paper (especially trains..) Our favorites are the Usbourne or DK variety (again especially trains..)

Play-doh was another huge hit, and I like to add in little accessories each time. We use either homemade or Mama-K's aromatherapy dough which smells heavenly *but again you can make it!* we will do seasonal scented doh's once autumn and winter come. Pumpkin, apple pie, peppermint etc. And I like to include pretty stones, or wooden rollers for him to play with. THAT can keep him busy for quite a bit!

#3 ·
Ds is almost 2.5...he LOVES his trains also-like sleeps with a big pile of them loves them :) He has a very small wooden track to put together and enjoys that, but still needs help with it and likes to play with them without the track just as much.

He does enjoy his play kitchen and likes to put food on plates to serve everyone.

Playdough tends to end badly with it tossed and smeared all over the place-he certainly likes it more than I do :)

He likes blocks to stack and then knock down, but not to build anything with really.

He enjoys carrying baby dolls around or pushing them in the stroller, but definitely not interested in dressing them up or anything yet.

We have a little trampoline, which he never jumps on, but he thoroughly enjoys taking all the cushions off the couch and jumping on those with his sister!

I often say that he doesn't actually play with toys most of the day-he just tends to get into everything else in the house! I have caught him laying on his belly pushing his trains and wooden trucks around lately though, which is sweet to watch and a nice change.

This was probably not that helpful-I guess I would start small and just keep an eye on what he is playing with as the weather cools down before buying much since this age seems to be pretty variable in terms of interest.

#4 ·
Oh! I forgot to mention the little trampoline we have - he does bounce on that. I think it's going to be extra awesome in the winter when I want him to burn all that energy he has without going and freezing outside for more than a few minutes

#5 ·
My little guy loves helping me out. Especially cooking, but anything really, as long as he sees it as "real" work. He helps me unload the dishwasher, sweep, mop, dust, and he LOVES to wipe things down. I just have to watch that he doesn't wet his own rag, because then there's puddles of water everywhere.
smile.gif
He also loves art time. Painting is all of my kids favorite activity.

He is 3 1/2 and has just now gotten into imaginative play. I think boys develop slower in this area than girls. His twin sister has been into role playing/make believe for almost a year now.

Something we don't have, but I would love, love, love if I had the space, is an indoor swing.

#6 ·
I *love* the cold months. Think outside the box- it's not all about toys! Less is more!

Last year things sort of went...

October- lots of outdoor play, lots of nature walks, putting things on the nature table, watching the earth close up and go to sleep.

November- Early November was much about preparing for the cold and we also did play outside a lot as we had a mild fall and winter. Late November we did a lot of baking to keep the house warm, and I do Christmas cookies for everyone which I prefer to start (even if it's just freezing dough). The girls love helping me out with baking and cooking.

December- Same, a lot of baking. Lots of sewing, crafting, and reading at this time.

January-Springtime- Much like December in regards to the crafting, a lot less baking as Spring nears.

I find that *I* kind of shut down and go into natural nesting/keeping up the home/holding down the fort mode during the cold months. My girls did as well. They would mimic a lot of what I did. Our play kitchen really only gets hardcore use during the winter months, because that is when I do most of my "hardcore" cooking and baking.

The girls also have their own craft things, so fabric scraps, some with velcro sewn on them, and pieces of yarn, large knitting needles, etc, to "craft" with. They're still young so it's still all pretend, but they do have a ton of fun with it.

Dolls get a lot of play during the winter, I think the girls kind of go into their own nesting mode as well.

I think musical instruments may do you and your little one some good.. good quality drums, a xylophone, maybe a ukelele, a tamborine... those are things that get the most play here in the winter.

#8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, we are a bit constricted for space too, Susannah R. And DS does love helping. He loves to sweep and vaccum and dust especially. And he does like to help in the kitchen, so I do think we'll be doing more baking than we did over the summer.

And it's true that it's not about more toys. He really doesn't play with what he has much anyway! He loves his cars and trucks, he loves books, he loves his hockey sticks, and his little scheilich animals. He does also love music and we have a little wood drum set, maracas, etc. but that's about it. He'd rather rummage through my drawers in the kitchen or play with water in the sink for the most part!

I guess I'll just see what winter brings! I thought maybe what we did have for toys was perhaps no longer developmentally appropriate, kwim? Guess not!

#9 ·
Quote:
" He'd rather rummage through my drawers in the kitchen or play with water in the sink for the most part!'
LOL! Isn't that true, though? I call my DS my little racoon, because he is always rummaging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.