Mothering Forum banner

Worried--starting Waldorf + lost of screen time

Tags
waldorf
1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Melaniee 
#1 ·
My son is four and starting a Waldorf school next week. We're excited and think this will be a great addition to his life.

I'm having a lot of anxiety over the "no media" ideal of Waldorf education. My son has had a lot of screen time/media influence. I've been depressed for several years and many days I put movies on for the kids so I can cope. I control what he watches and we have discussions about what he see and we talk about our ideals. Having the kids watch movies or play computer games has made it possible for us as a family to function well.

I foresee his media exposure dropping drastically once he starts school, especially because his social needs will be fulfilled and I will be able to have personal time to recharge and get ready for his intense personality.

Due to lots of traveling this summer I haven't met his new teacher. (Long story, but the teacher we interviewed with quit suddenly while I was out of the state and so I haven't met the new one.) I know every individual teacher is different, but I'm looking for reassurance that I can still be accepted into the Waldorf community. We chose Waldorf because it aligns with many of our philosophies of child rearing, but that doesn't mean I'm going to completely adopt their way of life. I need to do what's best for my family and I'm willing to "defy" Waldorf philosophies to do that.

Dang that sounded aggressive. Anyways, I just needed to vent about this. Condolences and criticisms are welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I started where you were (but it was due to pregnancy that I had plugged my son in for a few hours each morning). As we weaned from it I just kept a mental list of things we could do so that when he asked it was "oh no, we can't right now we are going to XYZ," and I think at that age the child will always prefer XYZ with mom to a TV show. As I gained strength (and like you said the time away definitely made it easier to be present when he was with me) it was easier and easier and then it was just gone.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.