anyone doing K at home this year? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am going to be starting our Kindergarten year with my 5 year old here at home. We are Waldorf "inspired" at best.

Anyone else starting with a 5-6 year old? I'd love to share rhythms, resources, and whatever else : ) 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#2 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 AM

We are!  I think you'll find support down at the Learning at Home side of things, though. ;-)  We're more Waldorf-inspired than purists, but we are adding a lot of Waldorf in this year.

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

#3 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 AM

We are! My ds1 just started 1st grade at home & my ds2 is 4yo and in K(next year too). We are doing circle time 4x a week. I have a lot of trouble following a rhythm, I try and do the days of the week: family day, gardening day, painting day, baking day, craft day, wash day, & cleaning day. Our days do not have as much rhythm as they should, I need to work on it! I have researched & obsessed over things for a few years, so let me know if you are looking for anything. 

Recently we did wet felting and wet-on-wet watercolors for the 1st time, both were great, especially the felting. Great rainy day activity! In case you haven't seen it,  I highly recommend http://theparentingpassageway.com/ she has files on K and also many other helpful topics!

I have A Little Garden Flower K book & Earthschooling K. They are really not necessary for K but helpful. 

What have you guys been doing?

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#4 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 AM

I just downloaded Little Acorn today, so we'll be doing that for now, but I'm hoping to get Enki for my K.  Then, we'll stick with LA for my littles, and use Enki for him. I hope. winky.gif

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

#5 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 PM

just curious what is little acorn and eneki? :)

#6 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 PM

Little Acorn is a Waldorf-inspired curriculum designed for day cares.  I've been reading it all day, and I'm REALLY happy with it.  Especially the menu plans that go along with it, makes life SO much easier.  The woman who created it is a daycare owner, and runs a Lifeways daycare.

Enki is another curriculum.  It's not pure Waldorf, but it doesn't seem to be pure anything, rather pulling inspiration out of a few different methodologies and philosophies, and adding some of their own. 

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

homeschool.gif

#7 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

We got Little Acorn Autumn bundle - I tend not to follow the weeks, but take what I want and make up my own "curric" of sorts. 

Working on our rhythm here too. I'm basically trying to spend the next few days spending as much time OUTSIDE as we can! When it's too hot or too cold my kids don't like to be out much. Luckily we do have barn chores daily so we are outside regardless of weather, but on bitter cold days it's as little as just the chores and right back in. That said, our rhythm is a little all over the place and we still very much have a summer-thing still going on. 

As the Autumn/winter settle in, I'd like to have a rhythm that focuses on waking, free play rest, and eating. I'm thinking a morning lesson + afternoon lesson on whatever we have planned. It could be a seasonal craft, stories and worksheets (we are not soley Waldorf) or science experiements + math gnomes. We will see! Besides that I just want free play. And I want to have set days for market/playing with friends etc. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#8 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM

Oh, I really like Enki and was debating on getting it! If you get it let me know what you think!

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#9 of 11 Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM

I will!  Unfortunately, it's expensive, and we're in the middle of a move, so it will probably be a bit before we get it.  'S ok, though, he's only 5,and he does well learning on his own, so I'm not sweating it.  I'm REALLY looking forward to getting it, though, it just sounds so cool!!

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

homeschool.gif

#10 of 11 Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 PM

mammarific, I really like your blog, I left a comment and hope to read more of it soon. I am trying to blog again and love to read other waldorf-ish blogs!

#11 of 11 Old 09-23-2012, 10:50 AM

I have Little Acorn, although it is rather hectic with holidays here in Israel, so I plan to get back into it in October.

Although I skip the colours of the days, grain for the day etc.

I am enjoying making a bird chart for birds spotted on our morning walk.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)

Tags
Waldorf

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page