Pigment suggestions for lazure? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've read through the various lazure threads but didn't see this addressed. I am prepping my basement for lazuring now, and am so excited to turn it into a beautiful play and craft space. I took a lazure workshop and learned the technique, but am still uncertain about making the color choices. I know I can use watercolor, acrylics, or just colored paint in eggshell. But I'm overwhelmed with all the color choices available. I want to do a warm yellow going into a pumpkin and then blending into pink and purple at the back of the space. Is anyone willing to share the paint colors they used to achieve a "waldorfy" feel? I love the warm pinks used in the nursery my daughter attended last year, and I'm wary of making my own pinks too candy-colored. And yellow can be tricky too. Anyway, if anyone's willing to let me know how you mixed your pigments (even for other colors), I'd be so grateful!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#2 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and another lazure question! The only low-voc eggshell paint I could find at home depot is self-priming. I feel like that might not be great and I should look for traditional latex paint to make my milk base. But has anyone done it with the new self-priming stuff?

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#3 of 4 Old 09-27-2012, 03:29 PM

We had our kids' bedrooms lazured, and we used AFM Safecoat glaze with Stockmar paints added to get the colors she wanted.  BioShield also makes a lazuring glaze.  The walls were primed with AFM paints. 

The artist spent a lot of time getting the colors right.  For the baby's room, she went with lovely peachy colors.  For DD's room, she worked with a swatch of the window treatments to develop a beautiful rose color with shades a violet.   Around DD's hobbit hole door (which leads to a secret playroom in her room), the artist used yellows to brighten the entrance to the secret playroom.  I am not much help because I relied on the artist, but I know it was a thoughtful,  meditative process for her, and it came out beautifully.  Good luck!

#4 of 4 Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Zippygirl! It sounds beautiful. I love the image of the yellow around the door of the secret playroom. :)

One of the reasons I'm reluctant to mix my own color is that, as a beginner, it will be hard to estimate how much glaze to make. If I don't make enough it'll be hard to get the color the same again.

I might just get a few samples of color from the paint store and make a small amount of glaze and practice on a piece of sheet rock.

Tags
Waldorf

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page