Mothering Forum banner

Convert train track to birthday ring?

Tags
waldorf
858 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Gunter 
#1 ·
We were just getting ready to order a spiral when my husband had the brilliant idea to convert a wooden train track (the standard, run-of-the-mill one) into a birthday ring. Questions, though:

Will the candleholders fit (width and depth)?

Are the candleholders even necessary?

What else am I not considering? DH is about to abandon the idea, but I love it! Help me save our project!

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYFUL1014 View Post

We were just getting ready to order a spiral when my husband had the brilliant idea to convert a wooden train track (the standard, run-of-the-mill one) into a birthday ring. Questions, though:

Will the candleholders fit (width and depth)?

Are the candleholders even necessary?

What else am I not considering? DH is about to abandon the idea, but I love it! Help me save our project!
I personally think the candleholders are necessary.. they help hold the candles up. Our birthday ring is about the thickness (depth) of three wooden train tracks- so take that into account as well. You may need to glue a few on top of eachother with wood glue before drilling holes in them.

I'm not sure about the diameter of each candleholder (or candle!).. somewhere in the ballpark of 1cm. Order the candles & holders first, measure, then cut.

I think it's a brilliant idea! :)

#3 ·
I think the candleholders are necessary. They support the candles in place and reduce the chance of your birthday ring burning to bits, and yes, we do have experience with this. We have one or two char marks on the ring from candles burning down and one sadly asphyziated grimms figure.

If you have access to extra train track pieces or are reusing some I think you would save money. But if you are buying open stock, even something fairly inexpensive like Melissa and Doug, I doubt you'll save money. To make the correct depth you would need several pieces deep. At our local toy store the big curved pieces are $2.50 each would be $30 for the whole thing. Birthday rings from Grimms are only $21.http://thewoodenwagon.com/woodentoys/birthday-ring.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.