Mothering Forum banner

Waldorf Mamas - introduce yourselves!

Tags
waldorf
2K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  EllasMommy10 
#1 ·
This forum is slooooooowwwww as of late, LOL! We all know how much we Waldorf-inspired families relish peace and quiet, but this is too quiet! I know you are out there mamas! Pop in and say hi! Lets get this forum hopping again

jumpers.gif

Ok, I will start...

We are an unschooling family that is Waldorf-inspired in our overall approach to childhood and the home environment. We have 4 sons at home right now and they are all in different stages! We have a teen, a tween, and two young sons, 4 years and 18 months. It makes things challenging! I am a SAHM and DH works long hours. We are in a new state and I don't know anyone yet, really. No Waldorf school here, we are in a small town of <10,000 but there is a nice crunchy vibe and alternative schooling is definitely respected here.

I have been focusing hard on getting a good daily rhythm going and its making a difference in how I feel about being home. Today I had the opportunity to have the car for the day as DH went in to work later than usual, and it was tempting, but it would have put us in town most of the day and I really just wanted to stay home and keep our rhythm. I was kind of surprised at myself since even a few weeks ago I would have jumped at the change of pace. But I am starting to really see the rewards of that predictability, for the kids and for me. I didn't want to give that up!

We also got rid of our TV 100% just a few weeks ago. I just couldn't justify it anymore. Despite monitoring it and only doing select DVD's, etc, it was just becoming too much a focus for the kids. I am truly in the camp that its addictive by its very nature, regardless of content. Its sitting in our garage and I am looking forward to it finding its way to a recycling center soon.

So that's me, of late. Looking forward to hearing from you!
wool.gif

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahSmith View Post
What are the class sizes at your school?
I have been told (by whom I can't remember) that EWS takes into account the teacher's comfort and experience level when it comes to larger class sizes. A growing enrollment is welcome of course since the school needs any extra income it can get in order to thrive, but I don't think they'd push it too far. The physical room spaces are somewhat limited - more so in some grades than others. That is also a concern of mine.

Here are our approximate class sizes as far as I know. I'm pretty sure the numbers have been higher at times. We also have parent/child, nursery, PreK/K, and high school classes.

• 1st - 17
  • 2nd - 20
  • 3rd - 24
  • 4th - 23
  • 5th - 16
  • 6th - 22
  • 7th - 16
  • 8th - 15

#28 ·
Hi everyone!

I don't think I've posted here before...but here goes! :)

I'm Kalista, 25 and my husband and I have 3 children, aged 5, 3, 22 months and we will be welcoming another little one in July!

We have just started our first year of waldorf homeschooling. I'm still relatively new to Waldorf but we had been living very similarly before I had even heard the term so I know its a good fit for us!

Right now, we are working at getting a good rhythm going before the baby arrives and flips everything upside down! ;)

#29 ·
Welcome!

I love seeing so many Waldorf homeschooling mamas here- I'm still really nervous about taking the plunge, and seeing you all gives me hope!

I guess I really took the plunge today, when I turned in our re-enrollment form for next year and my boys weren't on it. Guess that means it's official!

#30 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune Teller View Post

Welcome!

I love seeing so many Waldorf homeschooling mamas here- I'm still really nervous about taking the plunge, and seeing you all gives me hope!

I guess I really took the plunge today, when I turned in our re-enrollment form for next year and my boys weren't on it. Guess that means it's official!
Wow! That is exciting! Does that mean you are changing your work schedule too? I remember you feeling like you were running a treadmill working to pay for school, etc. Its hard to get off that work-spend-work cycle! DH and I downshifted to a more simple lifestyle 4 years ago, but we didn't take the homeschooling plunge until 8 months ago. It does take courage to take those first steps, oh how I know. I was SO nervous when I un-enrolled my kids from their charter last year!

Congrats!

#31 ·
Hi :) I am Kelly and am Momma to 9. Ages 23,21,19,13,11,10,8,7,and 6.

We are Waldorf homeschoolers. It has been a crazy journey but are finally coming to a place that works well for us :)

#32 ·
Thanks earthmama! Yes, I will probably be losing my position at work in the summer. Ironically, I had just resolved to keep my part time position and not be pressured (by myself) to find full-time work to fund the kids' school when I was informed that my position will be changing come August. I am basically being given the choice by my employer to either return to full time, or forfeit my position and go to on-call (with no guaranteed hours).

So, the universe sort of solved my dilemma for me, and I'm running with it- taking it as a sign! Scary as heck though, as I was never planning to go to zero hours at work!

I'm pretty sure I will be nervous all summer and through the fall at my decision. I want to homeschool and cut back on hours at work, but... change is scary. I'm glad I have this place to come to and connect with mamas who have been down this road before!

Welcome MommyKelly! I love the age span you got going on there with your kids! Never a dull moment I bet
wink1.gif

#34 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiamama View Post

Nice to meet you! Your little girl has my birthday!
partytime.gif
Very cool! A good day for a birthday
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthmama4 View Post

Hi everyone! So glad to see you all coming out of the shadows, lol! I knew you were here. We have quite an ecclectic group here which is wonderful. Lots of different experiences and ideas to share.

Inkandpaper -sounds like a very warm and loving environment for your daughter! What a gift of love you are giving here to so thoughtfully consider her home environment. Hope you can find a supportive community soon, I know how hard it can be to feel isolated!
Thank you! Yes, it would be so much nicer to have a supportive community. We live in a very non-crunchy/mainstream area, but hopefully the next place we move will have more resources.

It is nice to meet everyone here
smile.gif

#35 ·
Hi everyone! I am the mom of a little girl who will be 3 in April. I stumbled across Waldorf after we sent my daughter to a Montessori daycare for a few months before I quit my job. Our experience there led me to research alternative educations. I was completely drawn to Waldorf! It is such a beautiful and inspirational way of life. We are definitely not true Waldorf, but Waldorf-inspired. Without a local Waldorf community and then dealing with the influences of family and friends and neighbors, it is tough to be as Waldorf as I would like! We do what we can though.
smile.gif

#36 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllasMommy10 View Post

Hi everyone! I am the mom of a little girl who will be 3 in April. I stumbled across Waldorf after we sent my daughter to a Montessori daycare for a few months before I quit my job. Our experience there led me to research alternative educations. I was completely drawn to Waldorf! It is such a beautiful and inspirational way of life. We are definitely not true Waldorf, but Waldorf-inspired. Without a local Waldorf community and then dealing with the influences of family and friends and neighbors, it is tough to be as Waldorf as I would like! We do what we can though.
smile.gif
Hey there and welcome!

Just a word of encouragement...despite what some might tell you, there is no absolute right and absolute wrong with Waldorf. Do what you feel is right doing and don't be worried about influences from the outside - as long as you keep it real with your little one, she will grow up well :) Children have this wonderful inner compass, that tells them exactly what feel real and what feels forced, so trust in that :D

#37 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrooted View Post

Hey there and welcome!

Just a word of encouragement...despite what some might tell you, there is no absolute right and absolute wrong with Waldorf. Do what you feel is right doing and don't be worried about influences from the outside - as long as you keep it real with your little one, she will grow up well
smile.gif
Children have this wonderful inner compass, that tells them exactly what feel real and what feels forced, so trust in that
orngbiggrin.gif
Thank you! You are so right.
smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.