Mothering Forum banner

Waldorf Mamas - introduce yourselves!

Tags
waldorf
2K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  EllasMommy10 
#1 ·
This forum is slooooooowwwww as of late, LOL! We all know how much we Waldorf-inspired families relish peace and quiet, but this is too quiet! I know you are out there mamas! Pop in and say hi! Lets get this forum hopping again

jumpers.gif

Ok, I will start...

We are an unschooling family that is Waldorf-inspired in our overall approach to childhood and the home environment. We have 4 sons at home right now and they are all in different stages! We have a teen, a tween, and two young sons, 4 years and 18 months. It makes things challenging! I am a SAHM and DH works long hours. We are in a new state and I don't know anyone yet, really. No Waldorf school here, we are in a small town of <10,000 but there is a nice crunchy vibe and alternative schooling is definitely respected here.

I have been focusing hard on getting a good daily rhythm going and its making a difference in how I feel about being home. Today I had the opportunity to have the car for the day as DH went in to work later than usual, and it was tempting, but it would have put us in town most of the day and I really just wanted to stay home and keep our rhythm. I was kind of surprised at myself since even a few weeks ago I would have jumped at the change of pace. But I am starting to really see the rewards of that predictability, for the kids and for me. I didn't want to give that up!

We also got rid of our TV 100% just a few weeks ago. I just couldn't justify it anymore. Despite monitoring it and only doing select DVD's, etc, it was just becoming too much a focus for the kids. I am truly in the camp that its addictive by its very nature, regardless of content. Its sitting in our garage and I am looking forward to it finding its way to a recycling center soon.

So that's me, of late. Looking forward to hearing from you!
wool.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm here!

This forum could see more action for sure! Maybe we should post signs for... I don't know.. quinoa and tie dye?
wink1.gif

I've been lurking a long time on this site (years), but recent life events have me crossing the threshold into posting. I am happy mother to 3 (13yo daughter, and two impish and lively boys, age 5 and 6). Kids currently go to our beloved Waldorf school, but my 'inner work' lately has me examining homeschooling as an alternative. Truthfully, the tuition is hard for us (financially and otherwise- working more hours out of the home to pay for tuition means less time with my husband and children, less time being present in the home, etc). Also, I LOVE the prospect of HS'ing and being with my kids (I feel I have missed out on so much of their childhood already, working and going to school, etc) and I would so just do it already if it weren't for the awesome school and community we would be leaving behind. It hurts to think about. (But so does that monthly tuition payment!)

Congrats on getting rid of the tv earthmama! We put ours in the attic, and our family THRIVED. Man, our house was so peaceful and lovely without it. Then I dragged it back down for the 'political season' (I'm a political junkie), telling myself that I would put it back in the attic after the election. Well, it's FEBRUARY and it's still in our living room. We don't watch television, but my husband likes to unwind at night after the kids go to bed with some Colbert and Jon Stewart, and we do allow the kids an occasional netflix jaunt. (okay, more than occasional... but at least not during the school week!) Anyways, I'm trying to convince husband to put it in our bedroom, that way it is at least out of sight, out of mind for the kids and not the main focus of the house.

I would love to hear from more Waldorf mamas too!

Rhythm is difficult for us, but we try. I've never been able or wiling to commit myself (or my kids) to a routine, though I def see the benefits of doing so. It just doesn't fit our personality, but we try for the sake of the little boys, who need it.

#3 ·
Hello, I am a long time lurker. I have a 16 year old, a 6 year old, and a 15 month old. My 6 year old is in a Waldorf school and we are new to Waldorf. We love the school, but the transition has been hard on my son. He has been having some discipline problems that we are working hard with the teacher to remedy. I would love to get rid of the tv, but my husband won't hear of it! He only watches is when my son is in bed, though, otherwise we just have music on.

We are working very very hard on rhythm in our household. We (my husband, my son's teacher, and me) thinking having a good rhythm in the evenings will help my son become more grounded and help him on a better behavior pattern. It's very difficult though, b/c of our overtime schedule (to pay for both private schools and daycare). Any and all suggestions are welcome! :)

#4 ·
Hello. I am a short time lurker and very new to the forum. I have a daughter who will be 2 in two weeks. We currently attend parent/child classes at a Waldorf school and adopt Waldorf principals at home (open ended toys, rhythm, songs, seasonal books and activities). My husband is from Germany and his mother teaches children with autism there using Waldorf. I have really enjoyed the forum, and I've found some great ideas and books through reading. Our current Waldorf school is an hour away, and I'm beginning to feel that the time in the car is just not for us when we go into preschool. So, I'm looking into homeschooling. Nice to meet all of you, and thank you for all the ideas and expertise.

#5 ·
Hi Fortune, Rebecca, Nixie!

So glad to hear from you!

Yeah, the TV thing is a hard beast to conquer! We have been on and off TV-free for years. Its usually me who gets it back out eventually...I am going to try really hard not to! I know from experience if its there I will eventually give in and use it with the kids. I really think its ok to use in moderation for adults. DH and I have enjoyed several series like Lost, Criminal Minds, and BBC comedies. My DH loves the political satire shows too, like Jon Stewart, etc when we have cable. But the downside is when we only watched when the kids were in bed, it kept us up way too late, and I think that affected our ability to be our best for them during the day. I have noticed without it we are getting much more sleep! DH gets his political fix listening to NPR on his commute now.

How wonderful you all have a Waldorf community/schools! The closest I came was a very Waldorf-inspired urban homesteading/fiber art crafting group that met weekly. We made needle felted dolls and animals, some wood and wool felt gnomes, and I got about 1/2 done with a Waldorf doll for YDS1 when I had to stop the group. Poor little head is still sitting in my craft box with a unsewn, unstuffed body. I really should finish him, but I am a little intimidated to do it without the support!

Fortune Teller - I am in the PNW too. We are in Oregon in a small town outside Salem.

Rebecca Brown - I bet your efforts to establish rhythm will help. I know my own 4 year old was just absolutely bouncing off the walls for a few months and rhythm has definitely had that grounding effect you describe. Strong focus on sleep, meals, and predictable activities especially.

Nixiegirl - I find it SUPER interesting that your MIL uses Waldorf with children with autism and would love to hear more. My oldest child has Aspergers and attends a special school and lives apart from us because his behavior problems were so severe it wasn't safe for him to live at home. He is 17 and working toward getting independent. My next two also have mild autism and while they are less affected than the oldest it does affect our daily life in profound ways. I can see how many Waldorf principles would be of benefit. Getting the screens out of our house has helped them to "wake up" and be more present in daily life. Art is a wonderful healing tool, and handwork too. We all really want to learn to knit!

#6 ·
Hello! I'm Brandy and I have two children, four and one. I was first introduced to Waldorf through needle felting and the Magic Wool books. For a short time, I was involved in an effort to begin an Waldorf school in my area, but the group fizzled. I learned a lot, though, about various educational philosophies, and plan to homeschool my children. We have a Waldorf-inspired home and do our best to limit television, though it does come in seasonal waves. I am especially interested in handwork and time in nature with children.

#7 ·
Greetings!

We have a daughter in a Waldorf inspired charter and she is in 1st grade. We find the public charter aspect perfect for us (parents) as we are atheist/agnostic respectively. Having said that I think Waldorf is wonderful as it presents the world to the child, as knowledge is power. My 1st grader has asked if we would be sad if she choose to do religion (so cute) & we tell her it is her choice and we will be happy if she makes her own choices-whatever they may be. We have a TV with Apple TV only. During the week it is covered with a sleeve we made out of fabric. On weekend evenings only we watch select things. We have a nice but loose rhythm. Last year we purged plastic from our home as much as possible and during the Winter Holiday and the birthdays we have built the toy box up with natural material and creative play toys.

#8 ·
Hello! I'm actually not a mother at all (unless you count one cranky feline child), but hope to be a few years down the line. I am an educator with a background in fiber art, which definitely made me interested in Waldorf education. I have done a foundation year in Waldorf Teacher Training, and I hope to finish training to become a Waldorf classroom teacher. I have also done a LOT of independent study of Rudolf Steiner and his philosophies. I'm happy to have a place to discuss Waldorf!

#9 ·
Hi! I'm a mama to one 7 month old dd, and trying to raise her in Waldorf style (actually kind of a mix between Waldorf and Continuum Concept). I've done a lot of reading, and am now trying to implement many of the ideas. We have a good rhythm going, lots of singing, no screen time, and lovely natural material toys (and also some typical plastic toys from the inlaws... haha. They won't last). We try to spend time outside, and I wear her in the sling while I do housework and cooking. I set up a cleaning rotation for myself, so today is kitchen scrubbing day for example. And a dinner rotation for menu planning, so tonight is soup night. I'm sparing about recorded music - we sing a lot, but we also have a record player that she loves to watch, so I will often put on a record in the afternoon. Her daddy plays guitar, so she gets to see real live music too.

Anyway, these are just some ways that I've been able to apply Waldorf ideas to our home life. We live in the Florida panhandle, and there is Nothing related to Waldorf in the area. Nada. No playgroups or meetup or anything. We are military, though, so we will be moving again next year and I'm hoping to be near a Waldorf community for her preschool years. :)

Nice to meet you all!

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkandpaper View Post

Hi! I'm a mama to one 7 month old dd, and trying to raise her in Waldorf style (actually kind of a mix between Waldorf and Continuum Concept). I've done a lot of reading, and am now trying to implement many of the ideas. We have a good rhythm going, lots of singing, no screen time, and lovely natural material toys (and also some typical plastic toys from the inlaws... haha. They won't last). We try to spend time outside, and I wear her in the sling while I do housework and cooking. I set up a cleaning rotation for myself, so today is kitchen scrubbing day for example. And a dinner rotation for menu planning, so tonight is soup night. I'm sparing about recorded music - we sing a lot, but we also have a record player that she loves to watch, so I will often put on a record in the afternoon. Her daddy plays guitar, so she gets to see real live music too.

Anyway, these are just some ways that I've been able to apply Waldorf ideas to our home life. We live in the Florida panhandle, and there is Nothing related to Waldorf in the area. Nada. No playgroups or meetup or anything. We are military, though, so we will be moving again next year and I'm hoping to be near a Waldorf community for her preschool years. :)

Nice to meet you all!
Nice to meet you! Your little girl has my birthday!
partytime.gif

#11 ·
Hello! I have an 8-year-old daughter and a computer geek/professional husband. I am an education professional myself, and I always fell outside the box a little... so when I found Waldorf it all just clicked.

We started our Waldorf path at a Waldorf- and Montessori-inspired home preschool 2 mornings a week, then for her Kindergarten year she attended an amazing Waldorf-inspired home nursery. It was the perfect decision, and she truly flourished. She is currently in 2nd grade at our local Waldorf School, which we LOVE.

It isn't always easy, especially when it comes to extended family and friends, but we try to limit media and do whatever is right for us. Over the past few years, we have considered homeschooling, but we are so content where we are that it doesn't seem like a viable option at this time.

#12 ·
Hi everyone! So glad to see you all coming out of the shadows, lol! I knew you were here. We have quite an ecclectic group here which is wonderful. Lots of different experiences and ideas to share.

Brandy - I love those Magic Wool books. Needle felting is such fun. Therapeutic even! Our babies were born the same years - '08 and '11. :)

HellesRise - how wonderful to have a Waldorf charter. We have experienced two charters (though not Waldorf) and I think it is a great alternative. Yay for a big plastic purge. We are close...just some sippy cups and kids dishes (they're made from recycled so they don't count LOL) and a few toys though they are open ended, I have a Lego fan here....

Knittygritty - so happy to have you! There is something so wonderful about the Waldorf classroom. What a wonderful career choice! I would love to hear more about what the educator experience is like. Its something I have considered.

Inkandpaper -sounds like a very warm and loving environment for your daughter! What a gift of love you are giving here to so thoughtfully consider her home environment. Hope you can find a supportive community soon, I know how hard it can be to feel isolated!

WednesdayO - no reason to change something that is working! Homeschooling can be very challenging. I have an educating background too, working in the Early Childhood Program of a public school for 4 years. In hindsight, I think our director was very Waldorf-inspired. She never mentioned the word, but so much of what she taught us is exactly what I encounter when I read books on Waldorf ECE. Like encouraging us to sing rather than use tapes/CD's, absolutely NO screens or computers in the classroom, open-ended art, lots of sensory, baking and cooking together and of only healthy, whole foods, fairy tales and nursery rhymes, a predictable daily routine with alternating active and quiet activities...you get the idea. :)

#13 ·
Hello mamas, I come here once in awhile when I get a moment on the computer. My son is 16 months and I'm thinking about Waldorf-inspired homeschooling him depending on where we move to in the spring.

#14 ·
Hey there :D

I read the first post and felt like agreeing - it is so quiet in here! I silently read for quite some time and feel so much need for discussion, sharing and connecting...

This is me:

I am 27 years old, going to be 28. I am not yet a Mom, but plan on becoming one some time next year ;) I live with my husband and our cats in Baltimore - right next to the local Waldorf school <3 I picked this house, because of that fact by the way. I was born and grew up in Germany and things in the US are so very different from over there, that I am trying to at least keep something known in my life - Waldorf.

I am here, to connect with people of similar spirits. I do hope for real life contacts...I moved to the US to be with my husband in 2010. It has been almost 3 years now and I still do not know ANYBODY here besides his family and friends, who are simply not mine. I am a very crafty person and make a lot of things myself - furniture, toys for the kids, decoration for the home etc. I'd LOVE to get to know people who want to make Waldorf-y things with me :p Or just go for walks in nature and talk :)

I am starting an in home daycare, which is Waldorf inspired and try to incorporate the general spirit into our home as much as possible with a husband, who knows nothing about it ;) I have a lot of questions, need for discussion and will to share, what I know!

#16 ·
nicolecatalan - Hi! Glad you posted! I know what you mean about getting a moment on the computer. My only time is during naps/quiet time and when DH gets the little boys in the tub (which is why I am on now, lol) and maybe at night (but trying not to do that one too much as it makes me stay up too late!)

enrooted ~ Yes, that is why I started this thread because I too have a great need to discuss and share! Its hard to be excited about something with no one IRL to share with. My DH is willing, but his eyes kind of glaze over if I go overboard with the Waldorf talk, lol. I was beginning a Waldorf-inspired playschool in 2009 but we ended up needing to move and it never opened. I did a lot of research and still have a bit of that kindling in my soul. Would love to chat anytime. Lifeways was a great resource for me, as well as a few blogs...I will try to dredge up some links if you like.

Hope you ladies continue to post. We can use this thread for general Waldorf discussion or chatting - stuff we might not want to start a whole thread about but still want to share and talk about, etc.

fever.gif
I am going to start a new thread about childhood illness though so check that out if you are interested. YDS2 may have whooping cough and I want feed back from a Waldorf-perspective.

#17 ·
Greetings, all!

Mama to a 2 year old little boy. We live a Waldorf home-life, but aren't sure if Waldorf, or a Nature-inspired Reggio school will be this best fit for kinder in a few years. We're so lucky to have so many great options available to us! My husband and I are artists, and we work from home. We haven't owned a Tv in.. ever? haha And we love keeping a family rhythm.

A few months ago we decided to dedicate one day per week to contributing to our home. Giving a day to our home, and to ourselves. On Sundays we give to our home by baking, making condiments, working in the garden, and doing DIY projects around the house. It's so nice! We are so happy with this decision.

And I recently started teaching myself to knit. I hope to make some treasure pouches for spring and summer mementos our son can bring back to our nature table!

#19 ·
I want to join in! I have two boys, 2.5 and almost 10 months. Waldorf is sort of my ideal and my compass, but we're not quite there, and I'm okay with that
smile.gif
We also live in a small town and I haven't found any Waldorf community or even much of a crunchy one.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiamama View Post

Nice to meet you! A nature-inspired Reggio sounds so neat! What is the school? And how wonderful that you devote a day a week to home life.
They are called The Berkeley School, here in Berkeley, CA. They opened as a Montessori school 50 years ago, so I was somewhat skeptical since we aren't interested in Montessori, but when we toured we realized that it was an amazing place with innovative and progressive teachers who are all dedicated to not only a nature-influenced Reggio curriculum, but also simply to grow to always seek out better options and opportunities. All teachers participate in professional development each year from touring Reggio Emilia to taking Children in Nature workshops and seminars, and simply taking classes to further their depth of understanding human development. They do seem fabulous, but I want to tour the higher grades before we commit. Our local Waldorf [also in Berkeley] is new and just expanding into an elementary this year instead of a preschool / kindy only. We love them both, but the RE one has such better facilities and resources since they are so well established. It'll be a difficult decision!

& Thank you :)
Our Sundays are now sacred to us. It's just feels so good to work together like this, and see the results.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrooted View Post

Hey there :D

I read the first post and felt like agreeing - it is so quiet in here! I silently read for quite some time and feel so much need for discussion, sharing and connecting...

This is me:

I am 27 years old, going to be 28. I am not yet a Mom, but plan on becoming one some time next year ;) I live with my husband and our cats in Baltimore - right next to the local Waldorf school <3 I picked this house, because of that fact by the way. I was born and grew up in Germany and things in the US are so very different from over there, that I am trying to at least keep something known in my life - Waldorf.

I am here, to connect with people of similar spirits. I do hope for real life contacts...I moved to the US to be with my husband in 2010. It has been almost 3 years now and I still do not know ANYBODY here besides his family and friends, who are simply not mine. I am a very crafty person and make a lot of things myself - furniture, toys for the kids, decoration for the home etc. I'd LOVE to get to know people who want to make Waldorf-y things with me :p Or just go for walks in nature and talk :)

I am starting an in home daycare, which is Waldorf inspired and try to incorporate the general spirit into our home as much as possible with a husband, who knows nothing about it ;) I have a lot of questions, need for discussion and will to share, what I know!
I run a Waldorf / Reggio in-home daycare. Feel free to message me if you have any questions, or just want to brainstorm. We opened last September and are doing so well. We're fully enrolled until 2015! The community response has been overwhelming, really. I wish you well! It is something that is so needed.
thumb.gif

Oh, and good luck on ttc soon! Fun!

#22 ·
Hi, I'm Sarah. I'm mainly a lurker, but would love to see this board get more active, so I guess I had better start contributing as well.

We are new to Waldorf as of last fall when my 6 yo son joined a 1st grade and my 4 yo son joined a 2 year kindergarten program in our local K-12 Waldorf school. We also have a 2 yo boy in a different preschool who will hopefully join his brothers in a couple of years - assuming we've stuck to it.

I was, and still am, a little too uninformed about Waldorf and all that it means. It's not exactly a perfect fit for us, as we still have the TV in the home (though limit its use to weekends), still have plastic toys, still have a crazy active schedule with the boys in after school activities. But so far it's a better alternative than the local public schools, so we are sticking with it and trying to adjust.

My 6 yo is doing very well; but he is the kind of kid that adapts well to any situation. I'm glad to have him away from some of the more over-exposed influences he was getting when he was in public kindergarten last year.

My 4 yo is struggling to make friends in his class. He has a unique personality and I worry that making friends will be an ongoing struggle for him. In fact, one of the reasons I was excited about Waldorf was that I hoped they would be better equipped to nurture his uniqueness and help him find his niche; but the more I read about Waldorf, the less sure I am that it will be a good fit for him. I really need to stop reading the negative things about Waldorf - it just makes me worry too much.

Anyhow, I did have a question for the rest of you with kids in Waldorf schools. What are the class sizes at your school? Next year, the 2nd grade class may go to 31 kids. It's currently 30. I expressed my concerns about the large class size to the teacher. And I was somewhat reassured that, as a very experienced teacher, who has gone through two previous 1-8th grade cycles, he had no qualms.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSmith View Post

I was, and still am, a little too uninformed about Waldorf and all that it means. It's not exactly a perfect fit for us, as we still have the TV in the home (though limit its use to weekends), still have plastic toys, still have a crazy active schedule with the boys in after school activities. But so far it's a better alternative than the local public schools, so we are sticking with it and trying to adjust.

Anyhow, I did have a question for the rest of you with kids in Waldorf schools. What are the class sizes at your school? Next year, the 2nd grade class may go to 31 kids. It's currently 30. I expressed my concerns about the large class size to the teacher. And I was somewhat reassured that, as a very experienced teacher, who has gone through two previous 1-8th grade cycles, he had no qualms.
Hey there :)

Wanted to reply to this :)

We have a TV as well. And we won't get rid of it. I would not want my kids to grow up without the adorable TV series of Pippi Longstocking, The Children of Noisy Village and other series made off of Astrid Lindgren's books ;) You are entitled to your own opinion and mine is, that those series are a nurturing experience for the kids...They get inspired and excited to act out, what they saw on TV, they love talking about it with me and their friends and the kid friendly adventures they see (we read the books as well by the way ;) ) are 100% positive in experience. I could say more about the value of those series, but this is already long :p And that's the only thing they will be watching on TV for a long time once they start school at 5 or 6 years old and I feel, thst htey are OK watching it....no regular TV programs etc. And I am still a Waldorf mama. And my kids will still be very much healthily developed.

About the class size:

I have experience from Germany, where the first grades where about 35-40 kids in size...but they had 1 main teacher and 1 teacher helper. Both teachers were awesome and knew what was going on with any child at any given time. It was a joy to watch! The Waldorf school here in Baltimore is very small - first grade is about 15 kids, other classes have even less...I saw a classroom with 8 tables in it and honestly got a bit worried, that it might not be enough ;) I personally feel, that a size of 15 would be perfect. From my experience class sizes vary a lot in Waldorf schools, depending on the area they are in, the amount of kids enrolling a certain year etc. But as long as the teacher seems competent, even a class of 40 wouldn't worry me.

#25 ·
About class size..

My boys' mixed aged Kindergarten is up to 16 I think, aged 3 to 6.

My daughter's 6th/7th grade class has 8.

Our school is still trying to build enrollment. Only recently have they even begun marketing themselves successfully out in the community. It is great for the school, and we are set for record-breaking enrollment at the start of next school year. I understand your uneasiness at a class of 30 though. I find myself in the peculiar position of cheering the school on, and LOVING that they are getting all this interest and financial backing from new families, and yet a little sad to see the class sizes grow and to feel like I don't know everyone anymore.

Many Waldorf schools will tell you that they strive for a number around 30 children per class. Teachers feel it is a good number to work with, for different reasons. I don't think 30 at a Waldorf school means the same thing as 30 in a public school, for what it's worth. Especially since the teachers stay with the class through 5th or sometimes even 8th grade.

#26 ·
I would be concerned about a class so large. Even in Waldorf schools, where rhythm, structure, and respect prevail, teachers have practical limits to their abilities! A larger class means less individual attention, and it makes it more difficult for the teacher to hone in on specific issues in the classroom. A teacher is, after all, only one person!

I would have thought the school would have split the class beginning in first grade, since they already have 30 students. I think they need to consider adding a new faculty member. If I were a parent in this class, I would be asking the administration about how they plan to support the teacher with his burgeoning student population!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.