Songs and Verses for specific occasions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey there :)

I don't know, how many here know, that I am from Germany...therefor all my Waldorf song and verse resources don't work here in the US, as they are German. Not English. So now...I am in utter need for a few songs and verses to help structure my daycare day and accompany some of the activities I do.

I searched and searched and found a few, but there are a lot of activities, that I didn't find a song or verse for :(

Here is the list of situations I would love songs or verses for:

- Getting the kids dressed and ready to go outside.

- Gathering the kids after outside play to go back home.

- Painting

- Working with our hands (weaving, knitting, woodworking etc.)

- Baking bread

- Gathering the kids for story time

- A short lullaby for naptime

- A good-bye song for the end of the day

I'd also love very characteristic seasonal songs.

- spring

- summer

- fall

- winter

And if anyone knows

- A nice birthday song

And finally, if you have much loved songs or verses, you'd like to share with me, even if they don't belong in any of the catagories up there, feel free to do that as well :)

Thanks a ton for your help!

#2 of 8 Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM

This site is a good resource: http://themysticalkingdom.blogspot.com/

The Seasons of Joy site has seasonal e-books that have verses, songs and stories for all the situations you listed above.  I just purchased them recently and have been well-pleased.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#3 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM

I have to second the seasons of joy guides! They are so wonderful! We have really enjoyed using them!!

Kalista, happily married to my best friend , mama to 4 fabulous kids!
#4 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hey you two :)

I have actually looked through the Magical Kingdom already ;) A did out some of their verses on my list, not all of them though.

The seasons of joy costs $50, which I can not afford right now. I wouldn't mind investing in an actual hardcover book, I do not buy ebooks though.

Any free resources would be appreciated...or just single verses/songs/poems/etc. for the listed occasions :) Like...your favorite dress-up song XD Stuff like that :)

I will, once money is not so tight anymore, purchase quite a few song and verse books - I do have a list. For now though, specific recommendations would be very helpful!

#5 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 PM

I got Seasons of Joy in an auction fundraiser--that's how I was able to get them.  You can purchase them a season at a time.  That would be easier, if you can swing it.  Bending Birches might have some good verse ideas, along with the Parenting Passageway.  I know the older Waldorf Mama posts have verses now and then.  There was another. . . what was it. . . she had videos of her singing the verses.  Hmmm.  Here it is! http://astorytellingofcrows.blogspot.com  That's especially helpful to me, as I don't have a pentatonic flute and my husband is not always at home to teach me the tunes (I only sing by ear at this point, even though I can read music).

#6 of 8 Old 02-17-2013, 03:49 AM

Here's another good link: http://mommyme-thewonderyears.blogspot.com  The right hand side has downloads for verses, stories and songs.  Some of it is Montessori, but just take what suits you. winky.gif

#7 of 8 Old 02-18-2013, 01:49 PM

http://www.christopherushomeschool.org/early-years-nurturing-young-children-at-home/supplement-to-kindergarten-book/music.html

Also, the book Seven Times the Sun has songs for specific activities that might be what you're looking for.

I think it's cool that you know German waldorf songs.  Could you translate any of them and just use them in English?  Maybe that wouldn't work, but it was a thought.

Wife to my best friend, mama to DD (6/29/12)

#8 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkandpaper View Post

http://www.christopherushomeschool.org/early-years-nurturing-young-children-at-home/supplement-to-kindergarten-book/music.html

Also, the book Seven Times the Sun has songs for specific activities that might be what you're looking for.

I think it's cool that you know German waldorf songs.  Could you translate any of them and just use them in English?  Maybe that wouldn't work, but it was a thought.

Hey!

Thanks for the link :) I am actually working on slowly translating my german songs into english - but it's not as easy as it might seem. Not only do I have to translate, it also has to rhyme and the feeling and meaning of the song has to be transitioned over into the new language as well. So far I only managed to translate 2 songs properly >.< I am also hesitant to use german songs as I plan on using all of this with my own children too, not just the daycare kids. And I'd like to use songs and verses that they will meet again in Waldorf Kindergarten...starting my whole own thing feels a bit contra productive ;) BUT...I love the german sings so I am translating them anyway ;)

Tags
Waldorf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page