book suggestions for my 4th grader? (mythology - norse AND greek...) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I have a voracious reader on my hands.  He's read through all the Percy Jackson books (a year-and-a-half early, I know) and is craving more books about the Greek Gods.  He says he wants one that has the "real" stories, but I know that the "real" stories have all the gory details (rape, incest, etc), so I was wondering if anyone can suggest some books that would be suitable for a nine-year-old without being "too little."  (I'm not trying to rush him growing up - I might not even get the books - but he's beyond the simple readers and we have a decent "younger" one that we've had for a few years.)

Also, as a better choice, I would love to find a Percy Jackson-type series about the Norse Gods.  There doesn't seem to be one out there, so if anyone is a good writer, there's a million-dollar idea for you (imagine the movie contracts you could get)!  "The Children of Odin," by Padraic Colum looks like it could be good, but it's just one book and isn't written in present-day form, which I realize would be exactly like Percy Jackson (but hey, isn't that just a Greek Myth version of Harry Potter, which is a magical version of hundreds of other stories combined into one?).

Any suggestions would be lovely.  Thank you for sharing any wisdom you have!

:) Mammom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Bumpity bump! Anyone have any suggestions to share?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 PM

Have you looked at the D'Aulaire's books?  They have one on Greek Myths, and one on Norse Myths, I believe.  They're available on Amazon, or I find them in my used book store every once in a while.  My kids went through the Greek Myths one so much, they very literally wore it out.  I had even tried to reinforce the cover with contact paper to make it last--no go.  They really love them.  And they're the real myths, but I don't recall anything I had to worry about with them.  

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I will check them out for sure!  I was hoping he'd forgotten about it, but he asked again the other day.  I'm on the hunt!  :)

Oh, and editing to add, that I did get The Children of Odin by Padraic Colum.  We started the first chapter and it's good.  Then we got into the Dark is Rising Sequence, which I think we are going to love.  The first book, Over Sea, Under Stone was great.  The beginning of the 2nd book was great, but then my son took it to camp with him and I haven't been able to read it.  Here's a description from amazon:

"Joined by destiny, the lives of the Drew children, Will Stanton, and a boy named Bran weave together in an exquisite, sometimes terrifying tapestry of mystery and quests. In the five-title series of novels known as The Dark Is Rising Sequence, these children pit the power of good against the evil forces of Dark in a timeless and dangerous battle that includes crystal swords, golden grails, and a silver-eyed dog that can see the wind. Susan Cooper's highly acclaimed fantasy novels, steeped in Celtic and Welsh legends, have won numerous awards, including the Newbery Medal and the Newbery Honor. Now all five paperback volumes have been collected in one smart boxed set. These classic fantasies, complex and multifaceted, should not be missed, by child or adult. The set includes Over Sea, Under StoneThe Dark Is RisingGreenwitchThe Grey King, and Silver on the Tree. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter "

Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Mary Pope Osborne has a pretty good version of the greek myths.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammom View Post

Also, as a better choice, I would love to find a Percy Jackson-type series about the Norse Gods.  There doesn't seem to be one out there, so if anyone is a good writer, there's a million-dollar idea for you (imagine the movie contracts you could get)!

:) Mammom

You could try:

Runemarks and its sequel by Joanne Harris

The Sea of Trolls and sequels by Nancy Farmer

Eight Days of Luke by Diana Wynne Jones

They are all middle school/YA books involving some Norse mythology. That's a half-dozen books right there. I'm sure there are others out there that I can't recall right now. Perhaps check with a children's librarian for some suggestions.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 AM

Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman. Short, but based on Norse gods. 

Have you started the Heroes of Olympus series? Its the follow up to the Percy Jackson series. The main character is Jason and it features the Roman side of the Gods. The author also has a series called the Kane Chronicles based on Egyptian Mythology (we haven't read these yet)

IDK if you let your DS do computer games but my mythology obsessed DS bought the Age of Mythology pc game, and he loves it. It has Greek, Roman, Norse, and Egyptian levels. 

We've had A Children's Treasury of Mythology kicking around here since forever. Beautiful classic drawings!. It was our first mythology book.  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-childrens-treasury-of-mythology-margaret-evans-price/1002078929?ean=9781566196468

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

Tags
Waldorf
User Tag List