Attachment parenting and Waldorf? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-14-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have recently been learning about Waldorf and I am interested by the relationship between attachment parenting and waldorf. In particular, I was reading "You are your child's first teacher" and was struck by what I interpreted as a critique of the continuum concept. With a second child now I am struggling with attachment parenting after being almost fanatic about it the first time. I am curious how others have made sense of the differences between waldorf and AP. 

#2 of 4 Old 09-14-2013, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My impression from Waldorf was totally positive of keeping <5 yo's close to mom and involving them in play versions of work, from the school I toured and YAYCFT, but it has been a while since I read it. Their Kindy at the school was very CC friendly, teacher does work while kids free range or join her. I do recall a lot about shielding young ones from overstimulation, but staying close can do that, they tune out the world and listen to your heart if they prefer. What section are you looking at I'd love to skim it and get back to you?

#3 of 4 Old 09-15-2013, 02:21 PM

I think Waldorf and AP go very well together, and I felt it really helped me get rid of the pitfalls that are common with AP. One thing I found myself doing with AP was feeling like I had to entertain my daughter all of the time. I would wait until naptime to do any chores around the house and really made everything about her. It's great to be involved with your children, but it's healthy for them to see adults doing meaningful work, and for them to help out in age appropriate ways, and to understand that they are not always the center of the world, but still very loved. Learning about Waldorf made me realize how very flawed it is to make everything about the child all of the time. It leads to unrealistic expectations for the child as well lots of parenting guilt.
Waldorf agrees with keeping children at home with mom, co-sleeping, gentle discipline, breastfeeding, and all the other wonderful aspects of AP. But rather than the child being the center, the parent is the center. Not in a selfish way, but in a loving way. The mother is the loving center that carries the rhythm of the home and the children revolve around. The Parenting Passageway blog has some really good info on AP and Waldorf as does Donna from Christopherus. I learned so much from Donna's Early Years books and audio files.
Waldorf has helped me learn that it's okay to set boundaries (which I feel AP can lack, or maybe it is just how I interpreted it and carried it out) in a loving, respectful way. Waldorf is about keeping wonder, joy, and magic in the early years and respecting the child at each stage of development.
mama2toby and rioclaro like this.
#4 of 4 Old 09-19-2013, 09:46 AM

Being AP first and Waldorf shortly after, I see what you mean.  I haven't read YAYCFT, but I do enjoy the Parenting Passageway for understanding the various ages and learning to lighten up.  I really like RIE and Janet Lansbury's thoughts on baby and childcare.  My second child spent his baby years (which he's still in) exploring the world largely on his own.  He learned to find me around the house at about 7 months when he was slithering along the floor.  We still nursed past two, coslept and wrapped, but I also learned to respect his personal needs for discovery and independent play.  When he needed me, I was there.  Otherwise, he did his own thing and still does.  It's a stark contrast to my daughter who would hardly be put down for the first year.  I am hoping this new baby will follow a path similar to that of my son.  If not, I know I have lots of survival tools from AP.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

Tags
Waldorf

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page