Extra Math Work at Home for Waldorf Student - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our daughter is in 3rd grade at a Waldorf school, but she's really struggling with some math concepts. She's inconsistent with multiplication, and she needs a good solid refresher on addition, subtraction, and place value.

Can anyone suggest books (possibly for homeschooling) or other resources that might be helpful. We're open to any suggestions at this point. Thanks!!

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Miquon Math gets high marks from homeschoolers.  It is for the lower grades (K-3rd) and works with cuisenaire rods along side.  You can also find games that work with the rods.  I bought a starter set of wood rods, and wish I had bought the bucket, because they get used for all kinds of things, and it's nice to have some leftover for math.  :p  You can buy wooden ones that look and feel like something you'd find at a Waldorf school. 

There are several ways to approach place value.  My daughter is just conquering this concept as it applies to carrying in equations.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 4 Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, SweetSilver! I'll look into Miquon Math... maybe one of our homeschooling stores has it.

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 12-27-2013, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I wish.  Our store does not carry it.  Their home site is connected to the store.  I think you can also order it through other homeschool curriculum sites, if you frequent one already.

You can also do plenty just at home.  Monopoly is a great game for putting math into action.  And if you pull out the money and use just the 100's, 10's and 1's, you can demonstrate place value. The game itself requires multi-digit addition and subtraction, usually with carrying and regrouping.  It's a lot of fun as well. We really like using the speed di option in the newer sets.  

Not sure how "Waldorfy" Monopoly is.

We've had a lot of discussion on playing with math in the Learning at Home forum.  But I would say that for addition, subtraction, place value and carrying, not much beats Monopoly or is nearly so fun.  For Christmas the girls got "Farmopoly" and "Horseopoly" which I found at the feed store.  Only slightly different, the mathematics are the same.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Tags
Waldorf

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page