Considering Waldorf: Changing Perspectives in Education - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know if this video has been shared here but I thought it is a nice introduction to the Waldorf Approach. They touch a bit of the legal troubles public Waldorfs had in California and how they won that battle in 2012.

https://vimeo.com/71295506

thefragile7393 likes this.
#2 of 10 Old 02-17-2014, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'll check it out in a little bit. Is it unbiased? Or promotional?

#3 of 10 Old 02-18-2014, 12:06 PM

It does look interesting!  I would imagine it's pro-Waldorf, as it's uploaded by Eugene Schwartz.  I look forward to watching it, especially since the summary says it addresses controversies.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#4 of 10 Old 02-20-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

well It is not promotional for sure but it is pro-Waldorf. I liked it because they talked about the controversy in a very Waldorfian way without victimizing themselves.

I thought it was nice to share with this forum.

#5 of 10 Old 02-21-2014, 08:23 AM

I watched it this morning, very thought-provoking.  It was interesting how they addressed the PLANS suit.  I read on that site a couple years ago and on Waldorf Watch.  It is good to see both sides of things, especially if you're seriously considering this type of education.  As a homeschooler, it's easier to leave out the things that are too perplexing to me, but I can see that it would cause friction for some in a school setting.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#6 of 10 Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Although I understand what you are trying to say, I detest the phrase "pro-Waldorf". Do we ever speak of pro- or anti- public school? How is it ever reasonable to be either "pro" or "anti" toward anything as complex as a school system or pedagogy? I think classifying viewpoints into either a "pro" or "anti" category implies that taking a hardline position is what is normal and that there is an open-and-shut case to be made on two opposing sides. This is a ridiculous notion. 

Waldorf is a suggestion of how to go about educating children. We can compare and contrast it to other suggestions. When we do, we inevitably find that there are certain relative strengths and weaknesses. People who cannot arrive at a set of strengths and weaknesses and discuss them in a meaningful context contribute little to the conversation and should be called out for it. 

tittipeitto likes this.
#7 of 10 Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 PM

In this case, the terms "pro" and "anti" fit very well.  Or you can use "positive" and "negative."  Waldorf, esp in the private setting, has a huge critical following along with just as many people who are positive about it.  Yes you also hear about pro and anti-public school..here and on homeschooling forums as well.  It's a different way of thinking of things but the terms fit.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#8 of 10 Old 03-26-2014, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I have heard people refer to themselves as being either pro or anti public schooling actually!

#9 of 10 Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, in the case of "pro" or "anti" public school, I would say that such frames of thinking are equally unproductive and I am glad to know that since I have never heard it I probably don't hang out with such people. Very, very little in life falls into neat "right" or "wrong" categories. We can see the negative effects of dichotomous thinking in our politics, in gender relations, in attitudes toward sexuality...the list goes on and on. 

We need a lot more "reaching across the isle" (so to speak). Setting up "pro" and "anti" camps on various topics only reinforces groupthink and confirmation bias. That is no way to live, learn and  most importantly learn to love people who seem very different from ourselves. In my opinion, what it does best is breed hatred.

#10 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 AM

I can tell you quite a bit about Waldorf Education and this video too.  I worked in the Waldorf School in California and Texas and Australia.  I worked directly with Chip Romer and George Hoffecker both qualified communicators about Waldorf Education.  It's a wonderful method that is nuturing, caring, clear in instructions and easy for children to feel comfortable and safe.  I am quite impressed with the whole method from Kindy to year 12.  Both my children were Waldorf educated and it's was a wonderful journey.

For yourself as well as your children you will go through a real learning curve if you embrace this method of education.  Learning with the Head, Heart and Hands there is deep meaning in the use of these symbols.  It's the whole person that will get educated along with your family.

Take time to observe in a classroom it's a rich style of education and it's for real!

Constance Paul

Tags
Waldorf

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page