How early to start in early education - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-24-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question How early to start in early education

Hi there! I have a 20 month old daughter and both my husband and I work (I've worked part time). We've had a couple of nannies since she was born since I didn't feel like I could leave my baby in a daycare. Our local Waldorf school has an early childhood education program that starts at 24 months. We are considering enrolling her there but I wanted to get the advice from other waldorf parents. What age would you say is a good age to start at an waldorf school? Is she still too young?

We have read and watched a gazillion videos about Waldorf education and we are 100% sure that is the place for our children. I just don't now when to start. I love the idea of a home like setting, the calm and rhythmic environment. But in my opinion, little ones need LOOOOOTS of love and attention and hugs and kisses. That's what they need most and sometimes I'm afraid that at 2yo she will still be too young to be away from home. Thoughts? I would love to hear the experience of those of you who have had a child go though waldorf as a toddler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-28-2014, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our waldorf school doesn't start early childhood with the child being away from the parent until at least 3. They have parent/child classes twice a week in the morning where the parent attends with the child(ren) for the 0 - 3 set. I'm not saying that there is a right and a wrong way. If you are using it as childcare than I say go for it. If you are using it as a way to begin a waldorf education, I would talk to the school and the teachers first. I have found that early childhood waldorf teachers have an amazing insight into young children and seem to be able to magically find the essence of a child and should be able, after spending a little time with you and your child, to help you make the right decision for you and your child.

Just my two cents

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#3 of 3 Old 07-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
My daughter ran a waldorf type home daycare for toddlers and small children. She didn't do babies but she probably had some that were under 2 years old. I remember her dealing with diapers

She never had more than 6 children at a time and tried to have a mixture of ages so it was more like family life than school.

I think the suggestions from AndtheStars are very good.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page