New here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2014, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
New here

I know very little about Waldorf mostly from an article in a magazine. I think my question is really Is Waldorf for the rich? or can regular people afford it?

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, Neera.

In the United States, most Waldorf schools are independent schools and they must charge tuition and ask for donations as well. The good news is that they always rank very highly in the amount of financial aid they offer as compared to other independent schools. The bad news is that every school still has a minimum level of tuition they must charge and that is simply too much for many families. Especially if the family has multiple children, other debts/loans or if they live in an area that charges high property taxes.

Charter schools using Waldorf teaching methods don't have to charge tuition. We attend a private Waldorf so I can't speak too much to that.

One good thing about Waldorfs as independent schools is that it is rather taboo to be showy about material possessions. The middle school girls tend not to be into designer clothes and bags and they appreciate it when someone knits their own sweater or sews their own clothes, for example. Jeans and t-shirts and hand-me-downs are socially acceptable at all levels of the school. On the other hand, the hipster vibe isn't always inexpensive. Good outdoor gear (which is required) can be expensive and some of the moms in Early Childhood buy these beautiful decorated woolen booties. They are so darling but also about $100!! Overall I would say that the kids don't focus on economic differences but the parents may. It is hard to see someone else buy a new hybrid car while you're shopping for second hand winter coats.

-J
Old 08-16-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks, sorry, it has taken me long to respond. I read your reply and wasn't able to get back right away. I looked at prices and we certainly wouldn't be able to afford it although it sounds like a lot of fun for the kids.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown

User Tag List