waldorf support thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 07-01-2004, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does your school support it? Ours is being totally rearranged and the woman who ran it has been laid-off with no replacement in site. She will finish out the summer care camps but after that who knows. Some of the teachers believe that one parent should be home with the kids which I agree is ideal, but excuse me, I can't afford the school on one salary! My husband and I have been able to arrange our schedules so that we don't need after school care but we really do need break care and summer care. Where do they want me to send my kids during the summer? To the YMCA camp where they watch videos and eat crappy snacks?

Sorry for the vent. I am really worried about this.
#32 of 38 Old 07-01-2004, 12:02 PM

Hi, we're a Waldorf family here. Rhonwyn, re: your question about summer care. Our Waldorf school has afterschool care. They don't have summer care, but they certainly are supportive of the fact that parents need to work. In terms of "where do they want me to send my kids...", in our case, it is not up to them to tell me where to send my kids, that is up to the parents! Do what you think is best for your own kids. In our area there are a couple of Waldorf preschools that provide summer childcare for school-age children, but we did not opt for those because they are too far away in distance from us. You could also look around for moms that provide Waldorf-based care in their homes, or just care that you like - this can be the "next best thing" to your child being at home with you. Or, depending on how much care you need, you could organize a co-op of 4 or 5 moms to take turns watching each other's children in your homes. For us, we like the idea of another responsible mom taking care of our son, so we have our friend who has 2 girls take care of him when school is not in session (for like 4 hours a day). I like this option because I know she is a good mom and she is already mothering her own children and so I know she will mother mine. Hope this helps!
#33 of 38 Old 07-02-2004, 10:31 AM

Unfortunately my husband and I both work full time and we need summer care from 8 until 4. I could pay another Mom to watch them but that is a lot to ask of another family and I wouldn't be able to pay for the care through pre-tax dependent care account that my company lets us set up. The summer camp at the school is the best thing because the cost is a tax deduction for us, it is all day and the kids are in a low key camp with crafts and lots of playtime, and no TV or media crap. We have tried YMCA camp and Boys and Girls Club camp and while they often have great counselors, the camps are also often loud, choatic and not media free.

Asking what the school wants me to do is a rhetorical question. I don't expect them to tell me what to do but I know that the YMCA camps, etc. are not conducive to a Waldorf education so if the school wants to have kids that are in the Waldorf groove, they need to provide some sort of care program during breaks and summer. If the camps are planned right, they can even make money for the school because they attract neighborhood kids whose parents are looking for low key options.

I think it is the Denver School whom I received an enrollment packet from, that has a great program from what I can tell in the literature. The have before school, after school, break and summer care. They seem to grapse the reality that many families have two full time working parents. Our teachers (while I love them and they are great teachers) seem to be disconnected from reality when it comes to the fact that you have to have two people work to afford the school. In a perfect world, the school would be cheap and one parent would be able to stay home or only work part time.
#34 of 38 Old 07-02-2004, 11:21 AM

Well if you found a program at the school that you like then that's great!! It sounds like a good program! I agree with you that Waldorf schools should support the reality of both parents in many families needing to work, and it helps a whole lot if they can offer a program themselves. I wish our school did, but it is a public school so I'm not sure how that would work. They do offer afterschool care during the school year. That "perfect world" can also be achieved by having a Waldorf school that is a public charter school, rather than private. Obviously that's not available in all areas. Even then, though, parents are expected to donate SOME money (only what they can afford) and LOTS of time to help the school run, as is the case with all public schools but especially a charter.
#35 of 38 Old 07-02-2004, 01:03 PM

That is why I am concerned that it may disappear.

If our school was a charter school, then one of us wouldn't have to work negating the need for summer care. I don't see that happening here in WA. Charter schools haven't passed the voters yet and also there is a strong separation of church and state feeling here that would shoot down almost all of the spritual stuff in Waldorf.
#36 of 38 Old 07-02-2004, 04:57 PM

That does sound frustrating. Maybe ask the other parents at your school in similar situations what they do?

Ditto about strong feelings of separation of church and state here too; but this doesn't have to matter for the Waldorf charter school movement because it's very possible to have a school based on the Waldorf curriculum and not be overtly spiritual about it. But obviously it does take it being passed as law, and, a group of very dedicated parents and teachers to start it.
#37 of 38 Old 07-02-2004, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I wanted to mark this thread. DC is starting a Waldorf "inspired" pre-school on Tuesday. I'm sure I'll want to discuss with you.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#38 of 38 Old 11-18-2004, 01:34 PM

Thank you Cynthia!!!!! Blaah. What a depressing few days it has been here.

We just had our latern walk. It was nice but not as nice as the ones in Kindergarten. The Kindergarten teachers seem to be the best at having meaningful rituals. The parents talked too much and no one knew the songs at this one. The luminary path was beautiful. It is too bad more of the parents weren't inspired enough to quell the chit-chat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page