Can somebody educate me about Waldorf? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2002, 01:22 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
. She had never written a book report or done a science project (what passes for science in Waldorf elementary schools is another topic -- very scary, is all I can say, but they hide that behind words such as "zoology" and "botany" in the curriculum lists they give to parents); she had never written a poem or a fiction story in class. Worried about how listless she had become ("In school, it feels like they don't want

Most public schools I know of don't do book reports, science projects etc until middle school. I can't imagine expecting a 4th grader to do those things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2002, 01:39 PM

Elizabeth:
I also find it amusing that I have been writing this post while wearing all black, nursing my two year old and testing her letter recognition by reading an Edward Gorey books to her (The Gashlycrumb Tinies. if you must know)

I also wanted to comment on this - Elizabeth, the great, sad irony here is that the people who support you in this are the *Waldorf critics* - not Waldorf folks. Don't you get that? I smile at the picture of you wearing all black, nursing your 2-year-old and encouraging her letter recognition. Wake up! Keep that kid out of Waldorf - they don't allow that stuff! Get it? Sure, read Steiner if he interests you (though since you've said he doesn't, I can't understand why you'd be bothering trying to study material that isn't useful to you, just because you're "supposed" to because it's Waldorf? see the point the critics make about bending around to accommodate an ideology, a program?) Steiner is full of it, Elizabeth - wearing black will connect you with "dark forces" (yes, a direct quote from a Waldorf site) and might even encourage dead people in the spirit world to contact you. Nursing your 2 year old will prevent her individuating, keep her tied to your etheric forces too long. And letter recognition for 2 year olds is the most ghastly mistake you can make in Waldorf. They might not even accept her to a Waldorf school - and if they did, they'd be prescribing all sorts of quackery to try to cure her of letter recognition! You are teaching her letter 5 years too early, and you will cause her to have diseases in later life. You'd be told to get rid of those books.

People like the anti-TV thing in Waldorf and often don't get that Waldorf considers *books* almost as bad as TV for preschoolers.

Diana W/aka Diana Winters/aka Internet troll/aka mother of 9 year old, medical editor, former Waldorf teaching assistant and 3-year Waldorf parent, Philadelphia, PA

(removing carets carefully)
Old 11-13-2002, 01:47 PM

Sha_lyn wrote:

Most public schools I know of don't do book reports, science projects etc until middle school. I can't imagine expecting a 4th grader to do those things

How old are your kids? What kind of school do you have them in? My son did science projects starting in first grade, though they weren't required till 3rd grade. My 4th grader has written two book reports so far this year and has a science report due next week. He's in a Quaker school, and it is not particularly academically intense, it's one with a reputation for being a little lower-key than some of them. He previously spent 3 years in city schools in Philadelphia - also hardly an academic pressure cooker.

If you don't want your child to have any kind of academic stimulation or challenge - if you think it is a bad thing for a 4th grader to write a book report - Waldorf may be for you. We are all coming from very different places on this it seems.
Diana
Old 11-13-2002, 01:50 PM

Are you done yet? We get it. You don't like Waldorf. You are a medical editor and you have a gifted nine year old who wilted in Waldorf. It was 6 posts ago that you said you were done. If we have any more to hear about your opinion about Waldorf, it is easy to find by looking up every single one of your previous posts.

Please drop your crusade now, at least in this thread.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:51 PM
Banned

We HS now, but DS was in our local PS until the end of 6th grade. The only schools I know of that start book reports and science projects around here before 7th is the next county over. 6th grade is middle school in that county and they start book reports and science projects in 6th.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you don't want your child to have any kind of academic stimulation or challenge - if you think it is a bad thing for a 4th grader to write a book report - Waldorf may be for you. We are all coming from very different places on this it seems.

Oh boy I just paid attention to this little piece of bull shit.
Get off your high horse. You have made it very clear that you think no one but you cares about their children's education. No one has said they don't want their child stumulated or challenged. I haven't even said my children attend or would attend a Waldof school. I'm just adult enough to realize that my opinion is not the only right one. Too bad you can't do the same.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:34 PM

>Are you done yet? We get it. You don't like Waldorf. You are a >medical editor and you have a gifted nine year old who wilted in >Waldorf. It was 6 posts ago that you said you were done. If we >have any more to hear about your opinion about Waldorf, it is >easy to find by looking up every single one of your previous >posts.

>Please drop your crusade now, at least in this thread.

Everyone hears what they want to hear, and I can't believe how insulting and rude you guys are. I posted stuff about my "real life" identity, including being a medical editor (which is not a glamorous career, it is rather drudgelike computer work) because of all the accusations that I was a "troll," which is really a hideous little term and it is a very strange, sad feeling to be called it, whatever it really is supposed to mean, whatever it is you think you know about me. I'm a real person. I put down my location and job etc. to put a stop to the speculating. I haven't called any of you names.

I don't have a "gifted" 4th grader, I didn't say anything like that. I have a very ordinary 4th grader, a nice kid. He does write book reports, it seems to be a typical thing, I was very surprised at whoever said she "couldn't imagine" any kid before middle school writing a book report. I was speculating from that that you have a very different goal for your child's education. Waldorf is in line with that - again, I am not making this up to insult you. They do not believe a 4th grader should write a book report. I think it is a very backward, anti-intellectual thing, and anti-democratic even, but don't get me started, but it is, in fact, what some people want, for various religious, philosophical and personal reasons, I don't know yours.
Diana
(who is trying to stop now, but as we can all see, it is an emotional topic)
Old 11-13-2002, 02:41 PM

I apologize, The "gifted" term was used by momofgurlz, not by you.

And, FWIW, the insulting and rudeness is as a response to some pretty definate insulting and rudeness of your own.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:43 PM

Granolamommy:
And, FWIW, the insulting and rudeness is as a response to some pretty definate insulting and ruseness of your own.

Excuse me again. What rudeness would that be? I was called a troll, bitter, vengeful, and a militant. I used no term like any of these for any of you. I made statements about Waldorf.

I do not appreciate being asked not to post. This is the cattiest little group I've ever encounterd, for a bunch of so-called granola mommies looking for a nice place for their kids?! A thread was started when someone asked for information about Waldorf. I posted opinions and some links - to the Lilipoh magazine, to Steiner quotes elsewhere on the Web. How dare you tell me to shut up? If you don't want to hear it, you don't have to read it. If you want to say something else about Waldorf, if you have another opinion go ahead, I don't ask you not to post it. Several people have posted all their great experiences with Waldorf. Do you hear me asking them to shut up?

I protested very vehemently when Elizabeth said that Waldorf critics make up Steiner quotes. I still find it unbelievable. I pressed her very hard to provide any evidence of this, which she has not done and I find those accusations extremely wrong, unethical, thoughtless, dangerous, slanderous. I am so sorry if you find these statements of mine "rude." Look within, "strive" as the anthroposophists say, strive hard not to tell lies in public places and turn vicious when asked to stand behind your own statements.

I am sorry you don't get it. I turned up here a few days ago because I thought the recent Lilipoh article on how you should wean at 6 months might open a few eyes about Steiner/Waldorf in AP circles. I didn't know if there was a Waldorf discussion going on then, turned out there was; if that's "trolling," to provide opinions on the topic, pardon me guys, go on back to your alternative gentle lifestyle now.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
He does write book reports, it seems to be a typical thing, I was very surprised at whoever said she "couldn't imagine" any kid before middle school writing a book report. I was speculating from that that you have a very different goal for your child's education. Waldorf is in line with that - again, I am not making this up to insult you. They do not believe
Who said they couldn't imagine a kid writign a book report before middle school? It certainly wasn't me. I said I couldn't imagine expecting a 4th grader to write one, or to do a science project. I said the Public schools here do not start it until middle school, so it certainly doesn't seem typical for a 4th grader to be doing it. You seem to live only in the reality of the school your child did attend and attends now, and the need of your child only. You really give the impression that you think that no child could learn at a Waldof school and that all Waldof school are identical to the one your child attended.

Quote:
I also wanted to comment on this - Elizabeth, the great, sad irony here is that the people who support you in this are the *Waldorf critics* - not Waldorf folks. Don't you get that? I smile at the picture of you wearing all black, nursing your 2-year-old and encouraging her letter recognition. Wake up! Keep that kid out of Waldorf - they don't allow that stuff! Get it?
Where has any of the "waldorf folks" here showed any lack of support for her. You love painting everyone with any interest in Waldorf with a wide brush.

Quote:
And, FWIW, the insulting and rudeness is as a response to some pretty definate insulting and ruseness of your own.
You are trying to justify being rude and insulting to everyone here for what a few have said. I was only rude to you until you insulted me.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:55 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are trying to justify being rude and insulting to everyone here for what a few have said. I was only rude to you until you insulted me.

The cutting and pasting has mixed everything up, and you're now quoting your friend, there, darlin', not me.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:03 PM
Banned

Oh so sorry, I highlighted the wrong sentence. It's even worse. You don't even think you've been insulting. If you would actually use the quote format it wouldn't get confusing. However youe actions made it clear that you want to keep things as confusing as possible so you can justify your attacks on us.

Quote:
Excuse me again. What rudeness would that be? I was called a troll, bitter, vengeful, and a militant. I used no term like any of these for any of you. I made statements about Waldorf.
If only it were true that you have only made statments about Waldorf, and not attacked everyone here.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by momofgurlz

Elizabeth says:

<< I also find it amusing that I have been writing this post while wearing all black, nursing my two year old and testing her letter recognition by reading an Edward Gorey books to her (The Gashlycrumb Tinies. if you must know)>>

Lisa: That worries me, Elizabeth. If you allow your two year old to learn her letters (which you know and I know is good for her if she is ready, and it sounds like she is!), your Waldorf story may end up like ours did.

I have said - and it is part of my sig file - I am HOME SCHOOLING Annabelle. I have the Oak Meadow stuff and I can guarantee you that my daughter will not be taught anything I don't 100% agree with. LOL
Old 11-13-2002, 04:40 PM

I am dropping this. I have said that the Swedish site has all the information about the lectures and quotes that were most likely created by this alleged "historian".

I am reading Steiner not because I was told I "had" to but because I *want* to. I have read the Critics site and as I have said I do not trust them. So I am reading Steiner on my own so I can decide how I feel about a man who has been dead a long time.

For the record, I do believe in fate/destiny/karma. It may not be what everyone else thinks it is but it works for me : D
Old 11-13-2002, 05:00 PM

I am dropping this. I have said that the Swedish site has all the information about the lectures and quotes that were most likely created by this alleged "historian".

I am reading Steiner not because I was told I "had" to but because I *want* to. I have read the Critics site and as I have said I do not trust them. So I am reading Steiner on my own so I can decide how I feel about a man who has been dead a long time.

For the record, I do believe in fate/destiny/karma. It may not be what everyone else thinks it is but it works for me : D
Old 11-13-2002, 06:23 PM

Elizabeth repeats her allegation, unashamed:

>I have said that the Swedish site has all the information about >the lectures and quotes that were most likely created by this >alleged "historian".

I will repeat one final time, if you believe this is true, you need to quote here the material that you believe was "created" by Peter Staudenmaier, and then I will be happy to provide the actual source for you, xeroxes if you like. I know at least one other critic has access to the Steiner book in question (Mission of the Folk Souls).

You could also contact Sune Nordwall, if you don't trust us hysterical types. Sune also definitely has this book as he has quoted from it at length on the critics discussion list. Ask him to send you a xerox. (While you're at it, you might ask him why he took the lecture off his site.) Then you can study the lecture cycle (I think it's 11 lectures), and you can read everything Peter Staudenmaier has written about it. Staudenmaier's article is at the critics site www.waldorfcritics.org along with several replies from anthroposophists.

Then you can report back here if you found "forged" passages or "quotes" that Staudenmaier "created" that are not actually in the lecture. Good luck with this project, it will be worth your while.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:55 AM

I thought Elizabeth, in particular, might be interested in the following. It is a link to an article by a Waldorf teacher who, like many Waldorf teachers, advises parents strongly NOT to try to "Waldorf" homeschool their children because the parents are not "professionals" and for a host of other reasons.

Here's the link, with excerpts for those who don't want to read the whole thing.

In the newsletter of the Waldorf School Association of Ontario,

http://www.waldorf.ca/Other/spring2002.pdf

(Lisa again: there's a brief article announcing a Waldorf conference on
homeschooling, paired with a longer article by Mel Belenson, a
teacher at the Ottawa Waldorf School. Belenson says that there may be
valid reasons for wanting to homeschool, like there being no school
nearby, the school being full, or a disability that prevents
attendance. "It is difficult to imagine any other legitimate reason
for choosing home-schooling over enrolling in a Waldorf school." Please note that I have added words in the brackets where sentences were edited, to provide fuller meaning.)

Belenson argues "Does the parent feel he or she can do it better than
the professionals who are teaching daily in the classroom? ... Does
not the striving of the individuals who are responsible for the
classroom have any validity? ... Waldorf education is primarily a
social education. The origins of the first Waldorf school, and the
philosophical underpinnings of the education, attest to that [that
the school is to foster the Threefold Social Order]. The continuing
transformations of family life attest to that [homeschoolers can't
have their lifestyles controlled by the faculty]. Self-centered
isolation and individualization of children at an early age are not
in keeping with the spirit of Waldorf education [God forbid children
should be individualized]."

"It is hardly likely that the relationship between a parent and a
child can carry the same impact as does that between the class
teacher and the child."

"...Home-schooling that makes use of Waldorf methods cannot be true
Waldorf education. Support and encouragement of so-called Waldorf
home-schooling on the part of existing schools, organizations,
internet websites, publications, etc. is not a good thing."
Old 11-14-2002, 01:29 AM

In a message posted earlier this thread, TracyMc tells us:

<<Our school does not hide Anthroposophy, in fact they offer a class to teach more about it ... <snip>>

Lisa here: Tracy, to my knowledge, the class that is offered to parents is a somewhat new development at your school. If I am not mistaken, this course in the foundations of anthroposophy is new this year ... am I correct? (Or perhaps you have not been at the school long enough to compare?) In past years, once families were enrolled and children attending the school, a notice would sometimes appear in the "Waldorf Weekly" citing an upcoming meeting of the Raphael Branch {of the Anthrop. Society} in case anyone wanted to go. But there was little to no *real* outreach to parents to educate them about Anthroposophy.

Just wondering here: did your child's Waldorf school tell you, before you enrolled her, that she would be getting an anthroposophical education and what that meant? I don't mean did they tell you that the education was "informed by" or "inspired by" Anthroposophy (which is the most many schools will say.) I mean: did they actually tell you, either through conversation and/or literature (promotional material, etc.) that the entire curriculum and approach is based on and permeated with Anthroposophy, just as a Catholic school would make sure you knew they would educate your child according to Catholicism?
(In other words, did they tell you that the "child development model" that the school uses is extremely different in most ways from other, more mainstream child development models?)

If so, well, I congratulate the school. All Waldorf schools should, as part of the admissions process, engage parents considering enrolling in an indepth conversation about anthroposophy, so there are no misunderstandings once the child is in the classroom.

Of the 70 or so "Waldorf survivors" I communicate with daily via the internet, I would say 65 or so enrolled their children believing that what Waldorf offered was an arts based, nonsectarian education that was loosely based on the ideas of someone named Steiner who lived a long time ago and who most people have not heard of. People are led to think that Waldorf schools offer the same information, etc. that non-Waldorf schools do, but just in a different way. Even if we cannot agree on anything else, I think we can all agree that that is a simplistic statement that is basically untrue. (Children in Waldorf schools learn a history that is different from non-Waldorf kidsl. Waldorf science has been condemned by science education groups in the US; the content is very different -- and scientifically, inaccurate -- than what is learned in other schools. I could go on and on.)

If Waldorf schools would make their reality clear upfront, there would be no need for a Waldorf survivors group (which now has 70+ members from all over the world) and no purpose for a Waldorf critics list.

Lisa
Old 11-14-2002, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Only commenting on this part....

Here in our public schools (which are 48th in the country, so not very high up acedemically) they start book reports in teh second grade. They are pretty low key and include lots of artwork, but are still book reports. Also, science projects start in Kindergarten. And those are the two subjects that our schools actually excell at here. I don't think it's a lot of pressure to put on a child, to write about a book they've read, or do a science project.

In the schools that I attended we started book reports in 2nd grade, and science projects in 3rd. I think my first was to determine what additives in water kept cut flowers fresh the longest.

-Heather

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 11-14-2002, 04:34 AM

I don't quite understand all the upset here over book reports and science projects, and don't have time to read this whole thread at the rate it's progressing

However, in my experience in many public schools in the UK, it is quite normal for children to do book reports and science projects from a very early age in elementary school. Book reports in a simple format probably from 3rd or 4th grade, and science projects a little later.

But then, we also believed that it was perfectly normal for some children to learn to read before the age of seven.

Anyway, what a shame that this discussion can't seem to progress in a civil manner. As I've said before, a good educational system should not be fearful of critics.

I've done my research in the past and am critical of many aspects of Waldorf. But it is always interesting to hear both sides - if they can be presented calmly without personal attacks.

Just an observation. We all care deeply about our children, and we should be able to set them an example by being able to discuss something emotive rationally and politely. Shouldn't we? :
Old 11-14-2002, 10:53 AM

Popping in here quickly to say thanks to both moondiapers and Britishmum for their calm, cool and collected comments.

Yes, it is a shame that a discussion about Waldorf seems always to degenerate into tense exchanges, if not outright hostility. I agree with Britishmum's assertion that educational systems and schools should be open to scrutiny and examination. Waldorf schools seem to do a pretty good job of publicizing the "good" points they offer; the critics (all of whom were once believers in the Waldorf system and wanted those good things to be true) offer the flip side: what is not-so-OK about Waldorf for some people. Unfortunately, Waldorf proponents often respond to these criticisms with knee-jerk defensiveness, and it all goes downhill from there.

I mentioned the book reports and science projects (my daughter had done neither by the middle of fourth grade) because this is not unusual in a Waldorf school, and parents who by then have questions about the whole system (and there are more than a few!) often feel their children are "stuck" in Waldorf because if they transferred the child to another, non-Waldorf school, their child would be horribly behind his or her peers. The longer the child stays in Waldorf, the farther behind many children get, until transferring to a mainstream or other non-W school is no longer an option.

Waldorf defenders can carry on all they like about us critics making things up, etc. But let me ask you one thing: WHY would we do that? What point would there be? What would we be getting out of it? Do you honestly believe we are just a bunch of crazy cranks with nothing better to do with our time than fabricate things about Waldorf and Steiner for some inexplicable reason of our own?

Diana said it and I said it and I will say it again. The only difference between those of you defending Waldorf and those of us critiquing it are a few years of hard experiences for our children and ourselves, and tons of time spent on research and discussion with other similarly effected parents and children from all over the world. We, too, were attracted to the Waldorf aesthetic and the idea of a gentle education that took into account the "whole child." We, too, are attachment parenting parents, La Leche League members and leaders, family bed proponents, etc.

We come to this list and others because we want you to have the benefit of our experiences and what we learned the hard way, and at great expense to some of our children. (My daughter does not even like to drive by her former Waldorf school. She always used to say "That's the place where they made me feel bad for thinking.")

The info we offer is yours to take and to evaluate and to work into what you already know about Waldorf. Hopefully, it helps round out the picture. That way, if you choose to enroll your child, you will have a deeper understanding of what rules the school (anthroposophy) and how that will play out in your child's education.

I will vigorously defend the right of Waldorf schools to teach what they want the way they want to, and of parents to send their children to Waldorf. All I ask is that parents be fully informed and have a real understanding of what the schools do before enrolling. The end result of that is that people who are OK with anthro. education (and all it entails) will flood through the doors of Waldorf, and those who, like me, feel differently, will not enroll at all.

Lisa
Old 11-14-2002, 12:27 PM

Just wanted to thank those who wrote to me privately - I just noticed the private messages, and can't figure out how it works to reply privately. Cumulus noted that I misquoted her - sorry about that cumulus! It was not cumulus who called me a bitter vengeful militant, it was Moon.

There is so much that could be said, but I'm going to leave it asking people to at least keep in mind that rumors take on a life of their own when they are repeated unthinkingly, as Elizabeth has done with Sune Nordwall's charge that the critics fabricate Steiner quotes. We don't. It is now being repeated by people who couldn't begin to tell you what these issues are. Considering that many, many other Steiner lectures contain similar racist material, there is no need to make anything up. If I can point you to dozens of similar quotes, does it make sense the critics are sitting around dreaming up fake ones?

What it shows, I think, is that people want a reason to quickly dismiss criticism if they are already involved and enamored of Waldorf. I understand that, since I did it for several years too. If the critics can be quickly dismissed because somebody says they are up to no good, then it feels like that is taken care of and no more time needs to be spent thinking about this unpleasantness. I realize I bring a very unwelcome message here, but think about whether it really makes sense that there is a group of people making up lies about Waldorf or Rudolf Steiner for no reason except - what? (Even if we were "Internet trolls," it would be a strange subject to spend time on - Do you think we just got together and discovered a strange passion for bashing a dead 19th century Austrian mystic?
Diana
Old 11-14-2002, 03:40 PM

Lisa,
The foundation program is in the second year at our school. This is my first year in the class myself. True about the Raphael group in our Weekly, but I have noticed they are elaborating a bit more on what it is about and they always include phone numbers for anyone wanting more information.
I knew quite a bit about Waldorf education from early childhhod ed classes, other parents and parent -child classes, so I can't say I needed to ask alot about the school before I enrolled my daughter in kindergarten. I can ask some of the new people if they were informed about Anthro. based education before they enrolled. I feel like maybe the schools (ours at least) are trying to present the material in a better way now. Maybe the Waldorf Critics have spurred this change, since it is impossible to look up Waldorf Schools on the net without a Waldorf Critic link popping up somewhere! It is a shame there isn't a middle ground for the two groups. I am always glad to hear both sides of the story. How do we learn anything if we don't?
My daughter is thriving in her kindergarten class. She recognizes letters and I haven't heard anyone discouraging her. Being read to is one of her favorite activities and if a teacher told me to stop doing it, there would definately be a problem. It is the place she needs to be in right now.

Tracey
Old 11-14-2002, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. I really didn't expect my question to garner so much debate but I am very, very grateful to all of you for taking the time to respond. I view each response as someone caring and wanting to share and it is very much appreciated.

I don't know the reputation of my local Waldorf school and must admit that I am very reluctant to do all the digging involved to see if it is the right place for my daughter. I was put off by the fact that they didn't mention Anthro in any of the literature or in any of the visits that I made. Again, I don't know much about anthro and don't care to debate the merits of it, I'm just put off that it was not mentioned when it is obviously pertinent to the curriculum.

A few other things that bothered me were the late teaching of reading, the idea that stories are not told from books but instead from the teacher, and the notion of having the same teacher for years and years. I'm not comfortable with any of these for my own reasons which are not really relevant since it is just a personal choice.

Obviously, the arts are of great importance to me and that is what drew me to investigate Waldorf. I am an artist myself and feel that it is the single most important subject I learned in school. I hope that I can find other ways to fill my daughter's life with art, in fact I'm sure I will.

If not for the women here, I would not have been able to make an informed decision and again I am totally grateful. I am also grateful to the women who spoke out who choose Waldorf as their means of education because it helped me see the whole picture much more clearly.

Thanks again and peace,
LoveBeads
Maddy Moo - 2.5
Old 11-14-2002, 06:28 PM

Thank you for the detailed reply, Tracey! I am glad to hear that, in your opinion, your child's school is open about anthroposophy and is giving parents detailed information via courses and the Raphael Branch.

Your daughter sounds delightful -- happy and inquisitive, which is how young children should be. Being read to was one of my older daughter's favorite activities when she was in the Waldorf kindergarten, and that was what led to her ability to read at the age of 4. (I think there is a genetic component, as I was an early reader as well.) It was at that time -- when I told the teacher of my child's Waldorf kindergarten that she had spontaneously begun to read words on sight and sound out others) that I had my first hint that Waldorf might not be for us: the teacher -- very sweetly and kindly, I must admit -- gave me some "strategies" for slowing my child's reading down and even stopping her.

Whether or not the rather public activities Waldorf critics and PLANS (People for Legal and Nonsectarian Schools, of which I am vice president) have had any effect on Waldorf schools' willingness to talk openly about anthroposophy before parents enroll their children, I don't know. I hope so.

Lisa
Old 11-26-2002, 10:54 PM

This thread has long since ended but since reading through it I've had several discussions about varying school philosophies with several people and just wanted to share.

Hope this is useful for anyone looking for a school. I just wanted to point out that given that most all of the people here whether pro or con Waldorf schools in general all attended "different" Waldorf schools. Everyone here can all be telling the absolute truth as they know it.

Waldorf schooling philosophy can be interpreted and implemented in a wonderful way to creat a wonderful school for all students. Perhaps not the right environment for some students, after all everyon is different, but in general great.

Waldorf schooling philosophy can also be interpreted an implemented in a dogmatic way in which children's intellect and creativity is stifled.

I think it is possible we can all agree that Waldorf had some good insights into child development and some pretty wacky ones and some pretty wacky ideas about the world in general. However, that doesn't mean that all Waldorf schools dogmatically stick to Waldorf's original teachings, most likely some do. I imagine most take the good and disregard the rest.

I think this is not only true of the Waldorf school, but all schooling philosophies including public schools. Dogmatically implementing any schooling philosophy can be bad for a lot of students. There are definite differences in learning style and not any one philosophy will fit all students and my personal belief is that dogma is never good for anyone.

Whatever school you are looking at make sure you not only believe in the general philosophy, but make sure you know how the particular school you are looking at implements it.

Anyway, that's my late 2 cents.

Jenn

User Tag List